Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd take it as a compliment, seriously - the woman was probably actually impressed that she could actually SEE you from a distance away, as opposed all those 'ninja' runners who think they're safer by wearing dark clothes and being minimally visible in the dark. (I know WTF?!!?! but seriously - ask for nighttime running advice on BT, and there's always a few folks who swear that going ninja is safest.)

On a related note though, it's probably worth adding to your light setup, a bright rear blinkie that you can clip to the back of your cap or whatever. You won't always be running facing traffic all the time, and when cars are coming up from behind you, it's by far the best defense against getting hit or right hooked (like on a bike.) The reflectors are good stuff and def help a lot, but a rear blinkie is a cheap way to really get yourself seen from a distance by cars behind you when you are on the sidewalk or running on the same side of the street (it's often safer to do that in some road situations despite the rules of the road.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally saw someone out running with one of those expensive Nike running jackets on - think it's called "Flash". I turned on the street about 5 blocks up from her and could immediately see her the second any part of my headlights (or anyone else's) came in contact with her. I couldn't believe how bright she was - it was amazing. No need for any lights other than that $300 jacket as long as light was hitting her. That said, a car without their lights on might not have seen her unless some other source of light was hitting her. Also, if truly dark and I came around the corner right where she was, I may have only seen a brief, bright flash right before a hearing/feeling a thud because she was running pretty far out in the road due to some snow pile up on the sidewalks and shoulder.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
I finally saw someone out running with one of those expensive Nike running jackets on - think it's called "Flash". I turned on the street about 5 blocks up from her and could immediately see her the second any part of my headlights (or anyone else's) came in contact with her. I couldn't believe how bright she was - it was amazing. No need for any lights other than that $300 jacket as long as light was hitting her. That said, a car without their lights on might not have seen her unless some other source of light was hitting her. Also, if truly dark and I came around the corner right where she was, I may have only seen a brief, bright flash right before a hearing/feeling a thud because she was running pretty far out in the road due to some snow pile up on the sidewalks and shoulder.

Not sure if it was a Nike, but I saw a pedestrian wearing one of those at night and couldn't believe how well lit up the jacket was. Even after I passed them (I was driving) the jacket seemed to be picking up and reflecting available light sources - which was limited to streetlights at that point - very well.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
It sounds like you've got the front covered, but not the back. If she was to make a left turn, she might not have seen you. You should get something like this so you have 360 degree coverage:

Some people might hit you on general principle based on the team, not me per say but just pointing out you might not want to run in Calgary with that hat on.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [Devlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: I got some really good running advice tonight [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw a guy wearing one of those Nike jackets recently, and my running headlight lit it up so much it was actually hard for me to see as I passed him. Those things are bright!!!! I looked for them and then I saw the price, ouch, but hey they do the job!
Last edited by: clydecat: Feb 11, 16 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

Fixed.

That's worse. You I might consider buzzing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand your frustration being stuck in no man's land between Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. Enjoy the off season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It sounds like you've got the front covered, but not the back. If she was to make a left turn, she might not have seen you. You should get something like this so you have 360 degree coverage:

Some people might hit you on general principle based on the team, not me per say but just pointing out you might not want to run in Calgary with that hat on.

=================
It's OK...the Calgary people might try to hit me but they'd miss by 20 feet and crash into a tree.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do the bulk of my runs at zero dark thirty and in the winter I'd be in black tights or winter running pants, a dark blue jacket and usually a black thermal hat. I'd run into traffic but based on where I live, I would always have to do a stretch of about two mile on very narrow two-lane roads with no shoulder. One morning a car went by, stopped, and the lady yelled at me saying she couldn't see me at all until the last minute. And she was a runner.

Needless to say, I woke up and realized what an idiot I was being. So I bought a good reflective band that was easily spotted. It's not worth getting run over to hit your mileage before work.

Prev Next