Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stiffness in foot - solution needed
Quote | Reply
I need some advise here. When running and having passed the first few kilometres, it feels like the tendon/muscles across the top of my left foot starts tightening up and become very stiff. I can feel the stiffness spreading up the outside of the left shin. It feels like the tendon running up the outside of the shin pulls in the tendon running across the top of the foot and limits the flexibility of the ankle movement so I begin to land flat-footed with each stride rather than heel-striking. I have asked a few doctors and physiotherapists for advise, but I am yet to find a sensible explanation, less a solution to how to get rid off the stiffness. During the run, I am forced to stop multiple times and try to stretch the top of the foot. The stiffness is quite extreme, but I can normally stretch most of it away after 3-4 stops with extensive stretching. Before and after the run, I try to stretch a lot, I foam roll and massage the shin. However, to no avail. The stiffness only comes when I run (not when walking or doing any other activity). The only way I have managed to get rid of the stiffness during running is the few times I have been out travelling and been able to start my run with a kilometre or more of uphill running. For some reason that seems to work. Unfortunately, I live in a country which is very flat and no uphill running anywhere around here. I am not quite sure how to deal with this issue so any advise will be highly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Stiffness in foot - solution needed [seismic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Want to rule out exertional compartment syndrome (if this has not been done already). This is most often done by getting a pressure reading in one or more of the compartments in your lower legs, then run on the treadmill until that feeling starts, then repeat the pressure reading.

Quote | Reply
Two ideas

- Extensor tendonitis starting (top of foot). Often caused by running with too tight shoe laces. Requires extensive rolling of the ankle and running with super loose shoes to relieve while it heals

- Compartment syndrome (shins) -- can be tested by a doc. Can get ridiculously painful, often requires extensive rest (3 months), or surgery

My suggestion: Foam rolling (flat roller) on the ankle wont cut it. Get a ball or something that can really dig at it and get that area between shin and foot loosened up.
Last edited by: vancity: Feb 10, 16 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Stiffness in foot - solution needed [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK - I will try to apply more rolling and see if it helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the possibility that this is not a foot/ankle problem. In weird situations like you describe, the lower back can do some funny things and refer pain to almost anywhere in the lower extremities. Are you experiencing weakness or numbness of that area? Do you have non-painful back stiffness? Is it foot stretching that truly relieves your symptoms or stopping running? Do you have back pain in the other parts of your life at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Stiffness in foot - solution needed [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No back pain. Seems ok. Stop running does not have any effect unfortunately. Extensive stretching is the only solution I have been able to come up with so far. That said, running on uneven surfaces (especially sand) makes the pain less profound. Flat on pavement seems to be the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other things:

1) Do you run with lots of dorsiflexion? toes pulled up when in the air? Could be excessively fatiguing those lower shin/ankle muscles.

2) Have you tried any different shoes? I had one pair that kept giving me issues (adidas ultra boost)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like vancity said, watch to see if you are dorsiflexing during your foot strike. If you are trying to force a heel strike, there is a very good chance that you will be pulling your toes up as your foot gets near the ground, which will strain the front of your shin. And as rroof and others have said, be careful to check for compartment syndrome (as in - a physician can check)! Also, pain on the top of foot can mean other things as well, such as tendon strain, metatarsal stress, etc.
Quote Reply