Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycle ops Vitual Training
Quote | Reply
I tried out the Cycleops Virtual Training app on my iPad. I successfully was able to send the signal to the tv using AirPlay via Apple tv. Sweet. I bought the ant+ dongle for the iPad to read my power meter and speed/cadence sensor.

Here is the issue:

Screen moves kinda choppy. Internet connection speed? Before I go there.... I want to know if others experienced this.

Sensors don't seem to be reality. Cadence is accurate, but power and speed are way off. I assume it's pulling the power number accurately. Although, if I'm pushing 250 watts, it says I am going 6 mph.
I loosened the wheel in the trainer to see what would happen. Then I could do 30mph, but my power no bee were like 2500-3000 watts. Lol

What's up? Any ideas?

FYI- the trainer is a Cycleops fluid 2
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle ops Vitual Training [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using CVT for a few years now. I used to use a Fluid 2 but now I'm on a Powersync. I don't have an ipad or Apple TV so I don't know much about that. Are you streaming the videos or downloading them? I use the desktop version and the only issues I've had with video is on the premium HD routes (streaming) when going downhill fast it gets a little choppy, but I think that's because my laptop is a few years old and doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. If I'm not using a premium route, I usually download the video.

What's the grade when you're doing 6mph at 250? Do you have your weight and bike weight set? I always felt like my speed on the fluid 2 (reading a powertap) was a little slow but it was close enough. It seems more realistic on the Powersync although it's still probably slower than it would be outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle ops Vitual Training [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... I think the grade has a lot to do with the speed shown on the virtual ride. Although, it still appears off from my Garmin on the bike if I am on flat ground. The power meter also reads about 30 watts different between the Garmin and the CVT virtual program. I am going to play with the bike weight and see what that does. I'm also going to try my laptop and download the rides and see if they are smoother on screen than the iPad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it's reading your powermeter and not doing virtual power? I think it's under "edit bike" you should see an ID number for your power meter. CVT and my Garmin have always had the same numbers with the exception being CVT doesn't do smoothing so it jumps around more but the average has always been the same or maybe off by 1 or 2 watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I tried out the Cycleops Virtual Training app on my iPad. I successfully was able to send the signal to the tv using AirPlay via Apple tv. Sweet. I bought the ant+ dongle for the iPad to read my power meter and speed/cadence sensor.

Here is the issue:

Screen moves kinda choppy. Internet connection speed? Before I go there.... I want to know if others experienced this.

Sensors don't seem to be reality. Cadence is accurate, but power and speed are way off. I assume it's pulling the power number accurately. Although, if I'm pushing 250 watts, it says I am going 6 mph.
I loosened the wheel in the trainer to see what would happen. Then I could do 30mph, but my power no bee were like 2500-3000 watts. Lol

What's up? Any ideas?

FYI- the trainer is a Cycleops fluid 2

What I've learned with CVT is that it can be choppy for two reasons:
1 - processing power / graphics card of your client
2 - CVT dumbs down all videos to 30 frames per second, so if the playback speed is much slower than the speed at which the video was taken, it is going to get choppy.

I went to substantial effort to record routes at 120fps while driving routes so that it could still be slowed down 5x without any visible choppiness to the human eye, only to learn later that CVT recompresses the video down in resolution (720p) and frame rate (30fps). Infuriating.

The way the video keeps synchronized with the GPS data also creates choppiness. Essentially every few seconds the video "seeks" to a specific location time on the video, just as if you were to grab and drag the red progress handle on a youtube video, in order to place the video at the same location as the GPS data it's got you at. This causes choppiness in the playback. It would be better, but probably more error-prone and likely to get out of synch, if they were to just adjust the playback speed algorithmically appropriately and not jump to video locations constantly in order to keep video and GPS in synch.

All told, I'm pretty disappointed with CVT. It has so much potential but I've been so so frustrated with the software.
Quote Reply