Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL
Quote | Reply
Caveat: working on a budget!

I rode/raced (sprints and olympics) this past year on Flo 30s and was very satisfied. Still, I'm looking forward to taking some steps to add speed. First thought was to add a wheel cover in back while continuing to ride the 30 in front. Does this make any sense at all? Was thinking that I'd keep my eyes open for a budget friendly aero wheel for the front for racing and add that should I find a good option. I've recently tripped over a Cosmic Carbone SL (about 55mm I think) at what appears to be a good price. What are everybody's thoughts about the Carbone up front and a wheel cover for the 30 in the rear. Flo's data seems to show very positive results for the 30/cover combination.

Thanks for your feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL [brooktrout48] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 30 and a wheel cover sounds like a good choice, but I wouldn't say the same for your Mavic Carbone SL. You're better off with a Flo 60 or an HED Jet up front.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the purposes of self-education, what's the issue with the Carbone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not very aero. You're probably better off with an older Zipp 60 than the Carbone SL.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Thoughts on a Zip 404?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practically everyone making a 50-60mm wheel compares their wheel to the Zipp 404, they set the bar.
Last edited by: rijndael: Feb 10, 16 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooktrout48 wrote:
Caveat: working on a budget!

I rode/raced (sprints and olympics) this past year on Flo 30s and was very satisfied. Still, I'm looking forward to taking some steps to add speed. First thought was to add a wheel cover in back while continuing to ride the 30 in front. Does this make any sense at all? Was thinking that I'd keep my eyes open for a budget friendly aero wheel for the front for racing and add that should I find a good option. I've recently tripped over a Cosmic Carbone SL (about 55mm I think) at what appears to be a good price. What are everybody's thoughts about the Carbone up front and a wheel cover for the 30 in the rear. Flo's data seems to show very positive results for the 30/cover combination.

Thanks for your feedback.

When racing on a budget a front FLO 30 and covered rear FLO 30 makes a ton of sense! Will a 60mm wheel be a little faster? Yes, but when on a budget the 30 is perfectly fine.

I hope that helps.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply