Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a sedentary winter day, I need about 1.5 liters of water per day (as a beverage). I don't get much water from food.

You need exactly as much water as you lose it from your body. If you drink less, you will be dehydrated (yellow urine, prolonged skin turgor, dry mouth, loss of body weight). If you drink more, you will just pee the excessive amount out. Sweating is the main factor that makes you drink more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I've seen the "100oz" recommendation. Some of my friends carry around a water bottle everywhere they go. How much water do you drink (when NOT working out), and, do you think it's enough? Has anyone ever switched to drinking more water throughout the day and had positive benefits from a performance/recovery standpoint?

If I'm really thirsty, I'll pretty much always make sure I get some sort of an electrolyte (Nuun or similar) into me, especially if it's hot out. Hyponatremia is BAD. Wash all the sodium out of your body and you're in a world of hurt.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 32oz Nalgene at work that I fill up 2-4 times during an 8hr day. When I'm at home I usually drink another 2-3 16oz glasses of water so probably somewhere around 100-120oz/day on average. I've noticed I seem to be more tired on days I don't drink very much but that could just be coincidence as I've never really tested it.
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
I have a 32oz Nalgene at work that I fill up 2-4 times during an 8hr day. When I'm at home I usually drink another 2-3 16oz glasses of water so probably somewhere around 100-120oz/day on average. I've noticed I seem to be more tired on days I don't drink very much but that could just be coincidence as I've never really tested it.

I drink about the same. (100-150oz/day)

I've also noticed the same thing. I don't get the 2 o'clock slump when I am well hydrated.

I make a living as a firefighter, so I could at any time work under very hot conditions and possibly for an extended period of time. I've seen dudes shit the bed at fires simply due to dehydration and in no time in the near future do I plan on being that guy.

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Feb 11, 16 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
I've seen dudes shit the bed at fires simply due to hydration and in no time in the near future do I plan on being that guy.

Shouldn't this be dehydration?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glass of water as soon as I get up. I eat 7-9 small meals a day and drink about 20 ounces with each meal.

Almost never drink when running unless it's longer than 2 hours. Take about 40 ounces per hour when on the bike trainer. Swimming...I usually drink about half the pool, but that's not intentional.
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
I've seen dudes shit the bed at fires simply due to hydration and in no time in the near future do I plan on being that guy.

Shouldn't this be dehydration?

It absolutely should be. I'll fix it. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mongooseman wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
I've seen the "100oz" recommendation. Some of my friends carry around a water bottle everywhere they go. How much water do you drink (when NOT working out), and, do you think it's enough? Has anyone ever switched to drinking more water throughout the day and had positive benefits from a performance/recovery standpoint?

If I'm really thirsty, I'll pretty much always make sure I get some sort of an electrolyte (Nuun or similar) into me, especially if it's hot out. Hyponatremia is BAD. Wash all the sodium out of your body and you're in a world of hurt.

Do you know how hard that is to actually do?

I've read studies stating that a 160lbs man would need to rapidly drink 6L of water. If you eat regularly, you're probably getting way more salt in your diet then you need. Hyponatremia is caused by rapidly drinking excess amounts of water, not sipping on a bottle all day.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
about one gallon in the form of slightly sweetened herbal tea
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12 oz per hour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep an old glass apple juice bottle full of water at my desk and usually drink it all + some more during a normal workday without thinking about it. Used to get kidney stones but haven't had one in 15 years (knocking on wood) since I started drinking more water.
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Hydrating is a priority for some and others it's not. I myself drink 4.2L a day (6x700ML Bottle) and I do it in a very regimented way. Keeping the water flowing into your system at an even pace is the key here. Getting 4.2L a day in a short burst won't allow for absorption. I drink 1 full 700ML bottle with every meal (B/L/D) and the reason is it increases the feeling of fullness which leads to better portion control for me. Many people actually snack more than they should because they misinterpret their body's thirst signals as hunger signals (or that is one theory). In between meals I sip on the other half of my daily water intake every 15-20 minutes to keep things even throughout the day. Yes this comes with an increased need for bathroom trips but, we should get up and move every couple hours anyway so it's a handy biological alert to get that done.

One other thing I'll note from personal experience is that drinking more water helped me loose weight. By questioning whether or not I was hungry or thirsty before eating/drinking anything I was able to subdue the craving with a few mouth fulls of water. It was such a small adjustment to make to be conscious of this otherwise habitual snacking trend. 0 Calories in water definitely goes a long way in getting to optimal race weight.

About the ONLY valid reason to carry around water. If it helps reduce snacking, that is good, but the whole 8x8oz of water came about because, when the water consumption of healthy people was tracked, they averaged this amount. This failed to note that the reason they drank that much was that they.....they....wait.....wait.....EXERCISED MORE.

I drink to thirst. When acclimated to the heat, I typically run 1:30+ in 100-104degF without water and I don't PREhydrate. I have fluids in my car, to which I can divert every 3 miles, but when I once forgot the bottles, I didn't really miss the water.

I think it is hilarious to see guys in the gym, doing strength training, carrying a gallon jug of water that they down at every opportunity.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well aware of that - but if you live somewhere hot enough, and you're losing enough in sweat and only replacing with water, it's a real risk. My wife's a doctor - she's VERY hot on making sure I don't only go out with water in the summer.

Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mongooseman wrote:
Well aware of that - but if you live somewhere hot enough, and you're losing enough in sweat and only replacing with water, it's a real risk. My wife's a doctor - she's VERY hot on making sure I don't only go out with water in the summer.

Hyponatremia (water intoxication) usually occurs only from a combination of excessive water drinking and very low-salt diet. If you regularly eat salted foods, it is not likely you will develop hyponatremia. There's one recommendation for military here, which says that a healthy soldier can safely drink 1.4 liters of plain water per hour several hours in a row, when marching.

Most doctors and exercise researchers recommend sport drinks only for exercise lasting more than 4 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [dailywalking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup - was told that in the service myself. I was also told a lot of things by them I'd believe in less than I do Santa. I trust my wife's advice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink enough water that my admin comments on how many times per day I walk by her to use the restroom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally don't keep track of how much I drink. I just try and drink whenever I feel myself starting to get thirsty, I don't see the need of drinking more then you need to.

Jeff Brown - Georgia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I drink 9 18 oz bottles of water, a 16 ounce bottle of unsweetened tea, and coffee almost every day. Plus what I use in my workouts, which is none unless it's over 90 mins.

But I have OCD.

Drinking to thirst sounds like the right amount....and rightly so it would vary every day. Sounds terrifying.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I drink >2l of water a day plus 2-3 coffee's and one large tea - in the summer, water consumption will almost double, in long workouts last year on the trainer I was drinking >4l of water and weighing less at the end - but it is 40-50 c or more in June to August so you sweat a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2-3 gallons per day, when not training. If I am training or in an dry environment, it can be up to 5 gallons.

I have a very rare kidney condition, Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus, that requires a bit of liquid to flush my system. My form of the disease was inherited through my mother's (she was the carrier) side of the family - we know that one of her relatives immigrated from Ireland through the Bay of Fundy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have absolutely no idea, I drink when I'm thirsty

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello nickwhite and All,

Do we drink the 'right' amount of water ............... ??

Obviously from the discussion ..... humans need a device to monitor 'body water' and keep us advised on when we need to consume more water or more electrolytes or carbs .... why guess or be unsure?

Using triathlete volunteers as a test bed with a very small sub cutaneous device - about the size of a dime ....... inserted under the skin on the wrist - in about the same location as a wrist watch - using 3 primary colors, red, blue, and green, and a digital read out .... that dimly show through the skin and constitute a tribal mark (which can be covered by the sleeve in hazardous environments) constantly monitoring plasma fluid to provide real time alerts on when to say, "I need a drink!" or "I need some electrolytes". Powered by solar cells and induction charging ................

Following the success of this basic model device ..... a more general market will be created for more sophisticated implanted devices that monitor not only electrolytes and water but drugs, pathogens, hematocrit, lactic acid, .... you name it ...... with ANT+ and BLE communications to an Android personal communicator (or a Garmin watch) for data logging.

Electrical power will come from small solar cells worn as jewelry which also provides status symbols and tribal identification.

Funded by crowdsourcing .......... .

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
I have started to notice a weird game of oneupsmanship in my office. Everyone seems to try to display some sort of level of status/prowess based on the size of their water bottles. People used to carry around 750ml bottles... Then I noticed a few people upgraded to 1L bottles. Lately a few people now carry around 1.5L bottles.

Then one woman inexplicably started carrying around a pitcher (like a beer pitcher you might get at a bar), with a straw stuck in it.

I never realized your water bottle was a status symbol/dick measuring contest, but apparently it now is.

LOL. I notice girls seem to always have some colorful water bottle, yet I never notice them drink or refill it..

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second that one. I drink at least 3 liters a day and am right at 215lbs. Had a stone 2 years ago and doc told me that more water is required for me than what I used to drink.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: How much WATER do you drink? [dailywalking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello dailywalking and All,

I guess when talking 'water drinking' we should throw in some Noakes and the International Olympic Committee:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17454546

"The most recent (1996) drinking guidelines of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) propose that athletes should drink "as much as tolerable" during exercise. Since some individuals can tolerate rates of free water ingestion that exceed their rates of free water loss during exercise, this advice has caused some to overdrink leading to water retention, weight gain and, in a few, death from exercise-associated hyponatraemic encephalopathy. The new drinking guidelines of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), recently re-published in this Journal, continue to argue that athletes must drink enough to replace all their weight lost during exercise and to ingest sodium chloride since sodium is "the electrolyte most critical to performance and health". In this rebuttal to that Consensus Document, I argue that these new guidelines, like their predecessors, lack an adequate, scientifically proven evidence base."

and ....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21098473

"In 1991, we provided definitive evidence that exercise-associated hyponatraemia (EAH) is caused by abnormal fluid retention in those who overdrink during prolonged exercise, but this finding was ignored. Instead, in 1996, influential guidelines of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) promoted the concept that athletes should drink 'as much as tolerable' during exercise. What followed was an epidemic of cases of EAH and its associated encephalopathy (EAHE). A recent study funded by the sports drink industry confirms our 1991 finding by showing that 95% of the variance in the serum sodium concentration during exercise can be explained by changes in body mass alone. The possibility is that commercial influence delayed the acceptance of our findings for two decades."

Marathon studies of Hyponatremia:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19622524

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15829535

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18614886

International Olympic Committee Nutrition for Athletes - A practical guide to eating for health and performance - Reviewed and updated in April 2012

With a forward by Muhtar Kent, Chm. and CEO The Coca-Cola Company with a pitch for Powerade, "Helping you achieve peak performance is the mission of POWERADE, a refreshing beverage designed to prevent dehydration and the onset of fatigue during exercise." POWERADE Official Sports Drink ....

http://www.olympic.org/...en/en_report_833.pdf

Drinking recommendations are about 1/3 of the way through the guide.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Feb 14, 16 22:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next