Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your favorite rides around Newport Beach + swimming?
Quote | Reply
Going to spend a week at Newport Beach next week with the family at a beach house on the main beach bringing my road bike with me. I'd love to get a few rides in, especially in this weather that we're having in California right now. Anyone can recommend a few good routes around the area?

Looks like there's good swimming Masters teams as well - I'd prefer to get my swim in early in the morning, so if you can recommend a good team, I'd appreciate it as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite rides around Newport Beach + swimming? [jaskew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great rides along PCH either North to Long Beach or south to Laguna and Dana Point. Newport coast drive about 10 miles south has some great climbs. If your looking to join a group ride our tri club starts in Long Beach and stops south in Newport around 745am every Sat.

Im in Huntington Beach, could possibly meet you for a ride.
Last edited by: CP78: Feb 8, 16 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite rides around Newport Beach + swimming? [jaskew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Corona Del Mar for OWS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding along PCH on a sunny day is always great, but be careful with the cars. If you're not comfortable riding around cars, seek out other routes. Heading South on PCH, a nice climb is Newport Coast. Before you get to Newport Coast, there's a nice trail that starts at Newport Back Bay. It runs inland for quite a ways, with no stops. Another, less interesting bike/run trail is SART. It's just north of Newport Beach. You can take that trail inland more than 20 miles.

For OWS, as someone said, head to Corona Del Mar State Beach. Very popular site for swimming. And for masters, not sure about that area. Maybe check out Nova Masters for good options.

just use google or strava to search out some of these local rides.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crystal cove is also great for OWS and has some great trail running.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite rides around Newport Beach + swimming? [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip everyone!

How's OWS this time of the year? I'm always a bit paranoid about the sharks, but how's the temperature anyway in February?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pay no mind to the sharks.
Today's water temp report is 59, actually a few degrees above normal for now. Typically mid 50's. Best bet would be 62ish.

What kind of ride(s) do want to do? What bike? Hills, flat?

There are some pretty big group rides, Feb sometimes gets pro teams visiting.
If you wanna go 50-60 ( I think) you could go Back Bay up and do a Santiago Canyon loop. The 1984 Olympic circuit is not too far away to drive to. A hilly 10 mile loop with some history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Huntington Beach the next city north of NPB. I do all the swim, rides and runs posted.

Santa Ana River trail (SART) 20-30mi depending on the turnaround, so 40-60mi ride. It's flat but be warned in the morning the wind blows slightly off shore but on your return ride back to the coast its gonna be windy. The good, no cars and during the week not crowded. Bad, weekends lots of people and there's always homeless but they don't bother you, just be careful. I'm going to ride 50mi after I finish this.

http://labikepaths.com/...wer-santa-ana-river/

You can also ride PCH but be careful, very careful. I like Santiago Canyon Rd. But it would be a bit of a drive or a long ride but you'd enjoy it.

Running, the Back Bay is nice. I like Crystal Cove State park. On the coast side of PCH some nice paved trails or the inland side some true trail running, I do this 1-2x a week.
http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org

You can always come up and run the beach bike path in Huntington Beach too.

Swimming both CDM and Crystal Cove are nice. I do my open water swimming at CDM, very popular with triathletes and safer.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Feb 9, 16 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite rides around Newport Beach + swimming? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, some mix of hills and flats are nice. I'm training for Wildflower and it's about the time I need to start doing more climbing. Thanks for the tips!
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite rides around Newport Beach + swimming? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
I live in Huntington Beach the next city north of NPB. I do all the swim, rides and runs posted.

Santa Ana River trail (SART) 20-30mi depending on the turnaround, so 40-60mi ride. It's flat but be warned in the morning the wind blows slightly off shore but on your return ride back to the coast its gonna be windy. The good, no cars and during the week not crowded. Bad, weekends lots of people and there's always homeless but they don't bother you, just be careful. I'm going to ride 50mi after I finish this.

http://labikepaths.com/...wer-santa-ana-river/

You can also ride PCH but be careful, very careful. I like Santiago Canyon Rd. But it would be a bit of a drive or a long ride but you'd enjoy it.

Running, the Back Bay is nice. I like Crystal Cove State park. On the coast side of PCH some nice paved trails or the inland side some true trail running, I do this 1-2x a week.
http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org

You can always come up and run the beach bike path in Huntington Beach too.

Swimming both CDM and Crystal Cove are nice. I do my open water swimming at CDM, very popular with triathletes and safer.

Great tips - thank you! What do you mean by CDM?

And I can totally related to PCH tip. I do live not very far from Santa Cruz and it's the same thing. Beautiful ride, but drivers pay no attention whatsoever. Seems like every year there are at least 1-2 fatalities involving cyclists, so I usually stay away unless it's a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't quite the same thing as near SC. I have no problems riding in SC (except Mission St.) but there are stretches of PCH in SoCal that I avoid. Down here it is typically two or three lanes in each direction. Plus there are parts where their are cars parked along side the road, so increased chance of getting doored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdm= Corona Del Mar.
Gorgeous little beach. Parking can be challenging, but if you don't mind paying, then it's easy.
Here's a link:
http://www.visitnewportbeach.com/...ions/corona-del-mar/

have a great time!

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdm= Corona Del Mar.
Gorgeous little beach. Parking can be challenging, but if you don't mind paying, then it's easy.
Here's a link:
http://www.visitnewportbeach.com/...ions/corona-del-ma
----------------
Yes we call Corona del Mar CDM but no need to pay to park we just park on the street above the beach and walk down, easy. Just be careful about street sweeping, but just read the street signs and you'll be fine. During summer I swim there 2-5x a week and I've never payed to park. Now Crystal Cove is a state beach so you'll most likely have to pay there.

I just got back from riding 55mi on the SART gotta be 90 inland.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Feb 9, 16 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not swum w the Newport Beach Masters in many years, but the pool sure is gorgeous, and close to where you are.
UCI and the Nova masters have great workouts; Nova is a big program. Email and ask about parking because the schools are in session.
Also, UCI, I think there are only certain spots for non-staff and non-students and you either need to pay at a machine or meters.
Have fun!

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, depending upon where the house you rent is you could just do a swim off the beach.
In West Newport the jettys are roughly 300-400 yards apart. 40-44th Streets is a permanent Blackball so no surfboards in the way.
If you are down in Balboa area you could do a pier to pier swim, ~2 miles. Annual race goes from Balboa Pier to Newport Pier. The race goes from inside of the piers, not around them. Running the two miles back helps warm one up. If you go Balboa to Newport aim much more left of the end of the pier than you think.
All depending upon conditions and currents.
Quote Reply
Re: Your favorite rides around Newport Beach + swimming? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Also, depending upon where the house you rent is you could just do a swim off the beach.
In West Newport the jettys are roughly 300-400 yards apart. 40-44th Streets is a permanent Blackball so no surfboards in the way.
If you are down in Balboa area you could do a pier to pier swim, ~2 miles. Annual race goes from Balboa Pier to Newport Pier. The race goes from inside of the piers, not around them. Running the two miles back helps warm one up. If you go Balboa to Newport aim much more left of the end of the pier than you think.

Wow - that's a great idea, thanks! We're staying right on Newport Beach - not exactly sure where as far as street number. But swimming to the pier and running back sounds like a fun idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wrote:Also, depending upon where the house you rent is you could just do a swim off the beach.
Wow - that's a great idea, thanks! We're staying right on Newport Beach - not exactly sure where as far as street number. But swimming to the pier and running back sounds like a fun idea.
--------------------
Unless you're a true ocean swimmer I wouldn't recommend doing this. Wind/chop, surf and surfers not noted for being "cool" with people in the lineup. If you do the loop at CDM it's around a half mile and a much safer place to swim.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Feb 11, 16 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Major nostalgia time -- I lived on 44th/45th for a couple of years in college/post college (9 month rental -- had to move out every summer for the real money in summer rentals). What a great place to live as a young twentysomething.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, what did you do?
How did it go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the follow up!

Had a great week there last week. The weather was amazing, and what a great time to be there - not as many people as when I visited last summer. I didn't get as much time as I hoped for training. I ended up going on a run along the beach path from Newport Beach to Balboa Island - what an amazing run! And I went on a bike ride along the Santa Ana trail because that seemed simple. It was nice because it wasn't crowded, but few parts got sketchy towards Santa Ana with homeless people on the way, etc and the way back was a bit boring. Will have to explore other routes next time.

Didn't get in the water - we only spent one full day at the beach and kids wanted to play.
Quote Reply