http://www.msn.com/...r-BBpbelb?li=BBnbfcL
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlete Ellie Penrose Tragedy [steve1128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is just awful. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is absolutely horrible. Condolences to her family and friends.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlete Ellie Penrose Tragedy [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Extremely sad. In the U.S. any way we do have a vaccine to prevent this tragedy. I don't know about its use in GB.
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlete Ellie Penrose Tragedy [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prevention is not perfect. Vaccines can help with some strains but not all, so sad for this young lady to have delayed, improper treatment.
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlete Ellie Penrose Tragedy [drderek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is horrible. Whether she could have been saved is to be decided by others, but seriously; a doctor in his first week doesn't run this by another doc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of research indicates the worst time to be admitted to hospital is first week of new rotations for juniors - closely followed by Friday nights when there's no one there till Monday - fear of calling the on-call consultant

very sad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the doctor's defense, Meningococcal disease (which this sounds like and for which there is a vaccine) often initially presents quite innocently and can look like a mild viral illness. The septicemia, blood stream infection, is usually the cause of death and can progress from a mild looking illness to death, with lightning speed, often before any signs of meningitis (inflammation of the covering of the brain and spinal cord).

Meningococcal disease used to be quite common in the UK before routine immunization. The disease peaks in the 12-26 year age range, but immunity from the vaccine only lasts about 5 years.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply