Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for swimming Slower!
Quote | Reply
I really need to slow my pace down, but I'm struggling. As soon as I try to swim slower, everything goes to pot, I start to sink, coordination goes out the window!

I've just ordered a finis tempo thing

Does anyone have any tips and tricks? anything I can try

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Last edited by: Anth: Feb 5, 16 3:19
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take up total immersion I guarantee you will get everything you are looking for and more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really need to slow my pace down

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol
pacing ;) I'm crap at it, I only slow down from fatigue
maybe that's fine for a 400m pool based sprint triathlon, but I only do one of those a year ;)

this guy told me it was an important skill to learn ;)

-

Last edited by: Anth: Feb 5, 16 4:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I should have an answer for you as I am an expert at swimming slow... but I've got nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness I think you can't go wrong with going over any musings from Gerry Rodriguez or the folks at Swim Smooth. If you have not visited their web pages I'd highly recommend. Of course if you have the means getting one on one time from a qualified and proven swim coach with fast swimmers under their care is hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
In all seriousness I think you can't go wrong with going over any musings from Gerry Rodriguez or the folks at Swim Smooth. If you have not visited their web pages I'd highly recommend. Of course if you have the means getting one on one time from a qualified and proven swim coach with fast swimmers under their care is hard to beat.

+1

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe use a pull-buoy while you work on the co-ordination? its generally easier to try to fix/change/practise one thing at at time.

not much help with the pot thing. maybe move to Colorado?

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try using slightly buoyant fins and keep a very very light flutter kick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like he doesn't know how to swim relaxed. It's either an all out sprint or drowning, with nothing in between.

Which indicates to me some pretty fundamental stroke flaws. The issue isn't learning to swim slower, its learning to swim properly.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Sounds to me like he doesn't know how to swim relaxed. It's either an all out sprint or drowning, with nothing in between.

Which indicates to me some pretty fundamental stroke flaws. The issue isn't learning to swim slower, its learning to swim properly.

This is what it sounds like to me. My ability to relax and swim slower improved once I finally learned proper positioning in the water. When the chest is "pressed" down the hips naturally come up and you're not dependent on hard kicking to move forward - at least that is how it worked with me around 10-15 years ago. When my stroke was kick dependent, I had one speed. A good coach can help you get it right, and then working with a band can reinforce. Just my experience.
EDIT: A buoy masks this major flaw.
Last edited by: pvolb: Feb 5, 16 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you want to slow down your stroke rate?
If yes, one way to do it is this:

Use paddles and a pull buoy for some of your swimming, but not too much. Because it is pretty much impossible to have a high stroke rate when using paddles. Another benefit of this: when done right, it will improve your stroke technique. To get that result, you must use a set of hand-shaped paddles that are bigger than your hand by about 10-20% and that are attached to your hand at only one point, at the base of your middle finger only (this is very important: if you use paddles that are attached to your hand at more places like at other fingers, at the wrist, etc., the paddles will not improve your technique, they will make it worse). Add an hourglass-shaped foam pull buoy and you will be set.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 5, 16 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I feel like I should have an answer for you as I am an expert at swimming slow... but I've got nothing.

^ ..........I LOVE this place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim < 150,000 yards per year and have found this really slows me down. Of course that still got me a sub 60 IM swim (barely) and a 58:30 4k OWS swim race but I am a lot slower than when I was swimming 12-20k per week.

If you're in my age group I highly recommend barely swimming at all, maybe 1x week, maybe.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 5, 16 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
I really need to slow my pace down, but I'm struggling. As soon as I try to swim slower, everything goes to pot, I start to sink, coordination goes out the window!

I've just ordered a finis tempo thing
Does anyone have any tips and tricks? anything I can try

Great question and same logic can be applied to the track too (as I discovered this week).

1. You'll have to use a snorkel because in order to slow down, you can't be turning to breathe. To turn to breathe you need the wave/pocket which you can't get on the slow.
2. Going slow is about learning how to swim, like learning how to ride a bike. It's a similar feeling imo. You'll discover new things in th water: timing, balance (shoulders/front low, legs high) and that sort of thing, building range of correct motion.

I've been using the Ylon thin, flows nice. I had to heat gun the tube a bit and install a foam pad to get my fit, but it's been awesome. The more minimalist the better, I think. <http://www.swimoutlet.com/...4/?q=1&color=210

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback

Yes, I agree, I'm not the worlds greatest swimmer ;) but I'm determined to learn how to freestyle correctly, rather than just pointlessly put in the distance like I see so many others do.

My stoke has changed a lot recently, as I have been correcting certain areas. I have a much better high elbow catch now, although I still cross over slightly with my right arm

One of the things I changed recently in training is to use a nice big clear mask rather than goggles. Having much greater peripheral vision allows me to see what my arms are doing. I noticed so many odd little errors once I started wearing the mask

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're listening to the wrong people. Slow people dont KNOW how to swim slower. They just swim that way. You need to ask fast swimmers. I asked some national level open swimners who'll be at our olympic trials in April for you.
They said you just take it easy. Recovery type pace.
I know thats probably faster than most of us (well, me anyway) but if it helps....
You're welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

This was originally my problem. Didn't know anything about proper technique. Not perfect at all now, but at least I know some basics and try to accomplish that. Keeping my hips and legs up in the water is what ultimately allowed me to slow down. A few weeks with a pull buoy, and I at the very least improved a lot. Concentrating on head position and rotation. Also, learning how to breath without feeling like I had to get my face way out of the water. All these things helped me keep better position, which allowed me to slow down. Originally swam "fast" to over-compensate for falling in the water. Funny part is going slow is probably faster than that now only a few months later. Definitely is for anything over 100yds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback

Yes, I agree, I'm not the worlds greatest swimmer ;) but I'm determined to learn how to freestyle correctly, rather than just pointlessly put in the distance like I see so many others do.

My stoke has changed a lot recently, as I have been correcting certain areas. I have a much better high elbow catch now, although I still cross over slightly with my right arm

One of the things I changed recently in training is to use a nice big clear mask rather than goggles. Having much greater peripheral vision allows me to see what my arms are doing. I noticed so many odd little errors once I started wearing the mask

I like this video from Speedo/Nathan Adrian. #1 "It's a whole body workout" If you are truly swimming correctly, it is. You feel your whole body has been gone through, top to bottom. There is lots of slow swimming in that video too, some near vertical shoulder action. There is no such thing as "high legs". There is only high leg. Singular. Because one leg is high and the other is low. Then it switches. And the timing of the legs, connected through the back right up to the arms = see #1.

<

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

This was originally my problem. Didn't know anything about proper technique. Not perfect at all now, but at least I know some basics and try to accomplish that. Keeping my hips and legs up in the water is what ultimately allowed me to slow down. A few weeks with a pull buoy, and I at the very least improved a lot. Concentrating on head position and rotation. Also, learning how to breath without feeling like I had to get my face way out of the water. All these things helped me keep better position, which allowed me to slow down. Originally swam "fast" to over-compensate for falling in the water. Funny part is going slow is probably faster than that now only a few months later. Definitely is for anything over 100yds.

+1 on all this.

After today's workout I tried swimming really slow (w/o overgliding) just to remember what I was doing. It's all about body position, since you can't rely on thrashing arms and legs to position yourself. Work on "pressing the T", keeping your head level, and getting full extension before starting your catch (be long, narrow, and level).
I know it's controversial, but IMO a pull buoy can help you get a feel for this; just don't use it as a crutch for the main part of your workout.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for swimming Slower! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha. I want the same problem.
Quote Reply