Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How should I spend my money on a students budget. [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stuck mainly to running through college and didn't get into tris until I was 25. I saved as much money as I could through college which allowed me to find a job out of college that I had some selections and didn't need to choose based on my savings and budgets. Once I felt comfortable enough financially and professionally I bought a road bike, started going out for rides, did that for a year and then bought a tri-bike.

Don't gut yourself financially in your early twenties, it's not worth it, triathlon will always be there.
Quote Reply
Re: How should I spend my money on a students budget. [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say you do a lot of training alone.
Get to know some older athletes. Eg I have two tri bikes if you were in my club or rode with me id loan you race kit (not my best stuff but nice). Its not about how fast you are but how friendly, motivated or helpful you are.
So my advice is move to Finland and help me with my coaching and I'll loan or give you stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: How should I spend my money on a students budget. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I would keep saving and look to get a dedicated tri bike second hand. Seems like a tri bike is your priority and you're fairly close to having enough to get a reasonably good second hand bike like, say, a 2014 Cannondale Slice. Check ebay.

I second EBay. And if you have the know how, or some friends with the know how don't be afraid to buy a frame and build something to your liking. By taking your time and picking and choosing your components you can build a wicked fast bike for cheap. A couple of years ago when I was a broke student. I managed to build up a Blue Triad SL spiced the same as the $10k build on their website for only $1800. Building a nice bike for cheap is possible, you just have to be patient.

That being said, there is a 53cm Cervelo P3 frame going for 400 bucks in the classifieds right now.
Quote Reply
Re: How should I spend my money on a students budget. [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started triathlon on a student budget at the age of 19 as well. I was riding 80's steel frames (In the 2000's) no aero anything, no tri suit... hell, I didn't even own a wetsuit, and I live in Canada!!

Honestly, I didn't have the disposable income for much more until I was in my later 20's. So I made due. Once you accept the fact that you really aren't being substantially set back by slower gear, it's oddly freeing. It's fun to pass people on $4000 bikes while on your squeaky creaky beater.

If your bike is truly about to explode, I would explore a lightly used road bike. You get way more bang for your buck buying used. When I finally upgraded from my old POS to a Cervelo S2, it felt cool, but I really don't think I got any faster. I think switching tires made more of a difference then switching frames.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How should I spend my money on a students budget. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right so a little update here:

I have the chance of buying a Cervelo P3C for 1300 dollars. I was in doubt, but the fact that the guy put on a new 105 groupset and new RS30 wheels on last year convinced me. I'll be using the RS30 wheels a trainingwheels for now and start looking for a second hand 50mm wheelset later on.

I was looking for a nice and light frame that would climb pretty good, and I seemed to remember reading some posts about the P3C being a very good frame.
Ok it's a bit old, but hey, mechanically it's brand new and a frame doesn't really wear out does it? Plus as far as I can tell on pictures it's in mint condition, I'll go over on wednesday to have a look.

Just needed a confirmation if the deal is worth taking before I do.
Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next