Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRM Price Drop [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
duncan wrote:
What is really curious about the price reduction is that it only applies to the USA. Euro prices have not changed, and now this "made in Germany" product is substantially cheaper in the States than in Germany!

But the Euro price has changed. In the last year the euro has averaged 1.10 to the USD. The previous year, 2014ish, the euro was 1.30 to the USD. Effectively SRM can lower their price to the US market without hitting their bottom line too hard. This would explain why the EU market has not received a price drop as that would actually cost them $$$. SRM would be hit very hard if the strength of the euro rebounded against the dollar... suddenly they are making 10-20% less per unit.

Put it this way. I live in Switzerland, so in Europe but not in the Euro zone. It would now be substantially cheaper for me to order an SRM from SRM USA than direct from manufacture at SRM Germany. Considering that the former requires an extra export, more people and more international transit, this is hard to add up.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
stevej wrote:
Benv wrote:
I think the point here is that SRM, today, is still overpriced, because today, it delivers nothing extra of a value significant enough to justify the higher cost. While we can find and compare prices nobody seems able to explain what makes an SRM a better training tool versus competition (based on today's technology). Comparing past differences MAY have justified SOME difference in cost, but I would not know what would justify any cost difference today.

Reliability and longevity. There are plenty of people out ther who have 7+ year old SRM's with zero issues. How many quarqs have most people gone through in that time? Two maybe three?

Too many people these days want to haggle on everything they buy. I'm all for getting a good buy but you do get what you pay for. German companies are notoriously more expensive than most. Germans products are very well engineered (almost over engineered) and they are extremely proud of their own work. The price reflects these feelings.
What about powertap and Power2Max? My powertap is 7 years old - never let me down and I've tried to beat the shit out of that thing. Power2max has been flawless too. So here are two products that are much cheaper yet equally reliable. Hence, SRM does not show any extra value over those two and is therefore overpriced.

I don't know if I would call power2max equally reliable. They launched in what 2010? They had their slew of issues but they seem to have gotten better (I have buddies that have had issues in the past year or two). They haven't been in the market long enough to say they are equally reliable as an SRM..... and the data is just not there either.

Powertap.... yes I would say they are equally reliable (their hub PM's at least that have been around long enough). But how much does a hub cost compared to crank (without a PM)? A nice rear hub costs what $150-200? A shimano DA crank costs ~$600. Your not exactly comparing apples to apples here.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I'm not certain what point you are trying to make here. I never made a blanket statement saying that all pros only use their sponsors equipment....but the majority certainly do.

Of course there are exceptions to that...never claimed otherwise. But the idea, as expressed by jpwiki, that Pros only use what is best for them is factually incorrect....on multiple levels.

Point was that sponsored athletes (Uran and Martin) willfully used non-sponsored powermeter (SRM here) when a sponsor-correct powermeter was available. At least in case of Uran (occurred two years ago), this was done with the approval of the team as this was on a team recon ride. There's another picture somewhere showing OPQS using SRM for aero testing purposes back when they were sponsored by Sram.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll pay more up-front for an SRM, but over the long run you'll probably pay a lot less. I know guys with 10-year-old wired SRMs that are still working perfectly, and SRM happily still services them each time they send it in for a battery refresh. SRM stands behind their products and you can be assured that you'll get support for your unit for its entire lifetime.

On the other hand, I have a S975 Cinqo that is less than 4 years old that Quarq won't service because they want everyone to upgrade to the newer models (they offer a discount to upgrade to a newer model, however).
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Power13 wrote:

I'm not certain what point you are trying to make here. I never made a blanket statement saying that all pros only use their sponsors equipment....but the majority certainly do.

Of course there are exceptions to that...never claimed otherwise. But the idea, as expressed by jpwiki, that Pros only use what is best for them is factually incorrect....on multiple levels.

Point was that sponsored athletes (Uran and Martin) willfully used non-sponsored powermeter (SRM here) when a sponsor-correct powermeter was available. At least in case of Uran (occurred two years ago), this was done with the approval of the team as this was on a team recon ride. There's another picture somewhere showing OPQS using SRM for aero testing purposes back when they were sponsored by Sram.

OK, but I never said that those situations don't occur. In fact, I specifically noted that they do occur...but those are (as you noted) exceptions. Again, the idea that "pros use what is best for them" is a factually incorrect statement. THAT was what I was refuting. Some may, but they are a small minority of the professional population.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
OK, but I never said that those situations don't occur. In fact, I specifically noted that they do occur...but those are (as you noted) exceptions. Again, the idea that "pros use what is best for them" is a factually incorrect statement. THAT was what I was refuting. Some may, but they are a small minority of the professional population.

but why did OPQS allow its riders to use non sponsor-correct equipment during aero-testing and scouting? Could it be that the team was using "what's best for them" in that situation?
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Power13 wrote:

but why did OPQS allow its riders to use non sponsor-correct equipment during aero-testing and scouting? Could it be that the team was using "what's best for them" in that situation?

I dunno....maybe ask Lefevere? Again, i don't dispute that some riders will use "what is best for them" at times (although defining "best" can certainly be a challenging task). My point was that those situations are the exception....

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So.... you guys were saying people don't use SRM trolololol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-dAp0QZwY
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your numbers are a little off on the hub/crank comparison... DA 9000 crankset is $315 from Ribble. Something like the WI T11 rear hub is $323 from wheelbuilder, $318 from bikehubstore. With the G3 hub down to $599 by itself and training wheelsets occasionally around $600, the hubs are a much more economical choice than SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:
So.... you guys were saying people don't use SRM trolololol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-dAp0QZwY

Where did I say that? Please provide a link and/or quote, please.

Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a time when Australia was exporting cars the USA, and the price was half in the USA
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DA 9000 MSRP is 600 bucks.

Your right my hub price was a little off.

But for me, a PT is not more economical. I would need 4 PT's...... training (outdoor) wheel, trainer wheel (indoor), Zipp Disc, Zipp 808.

For people that train on their race wheels, yes its a better choice.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
DA 9000 MSRP is 600 bucks.

Who pays MSRP for bike parts?
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...chainset/shimchar202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
jpwiki wrote:

Where did I say that? Please provide a link and/or quote, please.

*crickets*

Quote Reply

Prev Next