Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not sure if I should keep this P5, or move on.
Quote | Reply
Last summer I picked up this (used) P5 in the middle of my season and used it for two 70.3 races:

I am very happy with the bike and am comfortable on it, but I feel that it is too large for me. The p5 is a 54, but my road bike is a 52. I think a slightly smaller tri bike would fit me better. I haven't spent much time with a fitter on this bike, but one who helped me with an intial setup after I purchased the bike said I could make it work, or go with a a smaller frame. So I have been thinking about selling this bike and building something different for next season. I was leaning towards a Shiv Expert and throwing on my Roval CLX60 wheels to have a nice package, based on the suggestions of my LBS. Would I be going to a inferior frame by switching to a Shiv? Should I consider keeping the p5, and spending more money on a fit instead? Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if I should keep this P5, or move on. [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In terms of aeroness, I'm sure the Cervelo tests better than the Shiv frame, but probably not much in it in terms of total drag. Given the current saddle position, it looks like your quite limited in saddle to bars drop, so a smaller frame would enable you to get lower if this is comfortable for you.

You would need to get some advice before selecting the Shiv frame size, since they are a short/tall geometry, which may be quite different to the Cervelo setup. I'm 6' 2" and ride a medium shiv, but could fit on a small without a problem. However I do have long legs short torso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have any pictures of you riding it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second on picture request. However, a tri bike being a bigger size than a road bike isn't normal. I'm guessing based on the seat height in that picture and it being a size bigger than your road bike its too big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only size shiv that has lower stack than that 54 p5 is the XS(S is only 7mm lower, but aduro stack is more than going to cover that). so if you want to go lower up front as the reason for change, you will probably need a negative rise stem as well as the aduro has fairly low stack in your set up vs any other bar system out there

based on where your shifters are in the pic, it does not look like you want less reach, or else you would have taken care of that already by shortening or changing extensions and if you want same reach, then you need to make up 4.6cm of lost reach when you go to that xs shiv
Last edited by: jeffp: Dec 2, 15 5:13
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if I should keep this P5, or move on. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Second on picture request. However, a tri bike being a bigger size than a road bike isn't normal. I'm guessing based on the seat height in that picture and it being a size bigger than your road bike its too big.

Thinking the same thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd spend the money on a retul fit first. Most decent shops do them for $150-300. At least then you would know your numbers and pick the next bike accordingly. Looking at your pic it looks like you are short leg/long upper type. Shiv not the best for that type. I agree a pic with you on it in aero would help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, do you have pictures of you riding it? If all I have to go off of is your bike, I don't see anything that suggests your position is compensating for the wrong size bike... but that's why you on the bike would help. Is it possible the road bike 52 is the wrong size?
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if I should keep this P5, or move on. [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Thinking the same thing...

Agreed, but there are cases where it works....I ride a 54 / Medium road frame and am on a large Shiv TT. But I am admittedly the exception to the rule.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if I should keep this P5, or move on. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the input, unfortunately no pics of me riding it. The LBS has a retul bike fitting system so I was going to get one of those before we order the Shiv to determine which size to order. I think I am going to go forward with my plan to sell this bike (anyone want a p5?) and find something smaller before the spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always compare fitting bicycles to getting a suit fitted to you. If you regularly wear a 42 medium jacket and purchase a 46 long that's on sale, you can certainly have the tailor hem in large amounts of the seams so that it fits, but does it really look and fit as well as the proper sized jacket?

The 54cm P5 looks like it is too large based on the placement of the bars and saddle, and I just would not throw more money at this situation. If you got the correct sized frame, you would need less work for it to fit properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure if I should keep this P5, or move on. [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not really true in this case. Maybe if he was on too small of a bike they could make it big enough. But you can't make the top tube shorter and you can't make the stack lower. Especially on a p5, there just aren't the adjustment options on a p5 once it's fit.
Quote Reply