Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 Trek SC 7.0 vs 2016 7.5
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

Getting back into tri after a few years away with Steelhead and IMCHOO on the books 2016. Going to upgrade my 2009 Blue Triad to a bike that can accommodate the larger wheel / tire combo and hopefully give me a bit more aero advantage. My LBS/Team shop just offered up last year's 7.0 (105 11 sp) for $2000 or the new white 7.5 for $3100. Brand new fit system in shop will have me dialed in. I already have the newest Aeolus 5 wheelset and will be running a Stages pm.

The $million question: Am I going to gain $1100 worth of difference by going with the 7.5? Yes it's nicer, lighter, etc. It has the new stem/bar integration, but how much time could that actually save vs the stock combo on the 7.0, especially if you are running a bottle between the arms. Seems to me (probably wrongly) that a bottle (even horizontal) could negate the benefits of the integrated stem. 11sp 105 is not that far off of Ultegra, the one thing I'd change on the 7.0 is that awful looking crankset. Climbing taken into consideration etc, what's the best bang for the buck?
I have the money to spend, but if $1100 isn't justifiable (and both are great deals) I can take the ego blow of not having the nicer bike and putting it toward a coach or something of additional benefit.

Gracias in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Trek SC 7.0 vs 2016 7.5 [skinnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinnybike wrote:
It has the new stem/bar integration, but how much time could that actually save vs the stock combo on the 7.0, especially if you are running a bottle between the arms. Seems to me (probably wrongly) that a bottle (even horizontal) could negate the benefits of the integrated stem.

A bottle between the arms actually generally tests to be very aerodynamic relative to other bottle positions.

IMO yes with the 7.5 you get nicer bars, stem and drivetrain but it sounds to me like these aren't worth the additional expense for you over the 7.0. Plus any bike fit changes would be more expensive with the 7.5 due to that stem (unless the bikeshop will swap it out for free)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming all else is equal (position, wheelset, etc.), I'd ballpark that the 7.5 would have a 50g of drag negative delta over the 7.0.

Your $1,100 would buy approximately 0.5 sec/km, or 90 seconds savings over an IM bike.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Trek SC 7.0 vs 2016 7.5 [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and yes concur with the fact that horizontal bottle is the fastest. Just wondering if that at all affects the benefit of an integrated stem vs a normal stem/bar interface.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Trek SC 7.0 vs 2016 7.5 [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooooof. I guess I could only say that for the nominal climbing on those courses a lighter bike might provide more benefit/time savings from an exertion standpoint. That 90 seconds means nothing to me - maybe in a sprint or Olympic, but no way for anything longer. Goal of over 20.5mph for IM distance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change out the stock bar combo on the SC7 to one of the usual suspects - preferably one that gets you elbows away from the base bar just like the integrated setup. Also, if you run a bottle between the arms, as I do on the SC7, you'll probably be able to get it lower and more between your arms than with the integrated setup. If you change your mind *I think* you can purchase a stem afterwards to make it integrated - I've definitely seen someone do this. Now, whether the bars are then available separately (assume they must be) I couldn't tell as have never seen them for sale. The difference in drag between even the gen 1 and 2 versions of the SC is tiny...I know because I have both. The SC was a design that got 99% "there" aero-wise first time out...it's just that the gen 2 is easier to work on.
Last edited by: zamm0: Dec 2, 15 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Trek SC 7.0 vs 2016 7.5 [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:
Change out the stock bar combo on the SC7 to one of the usual suspects - preferably one that gets you elbows away from the base bar just like the integrated setup. Also, if you run a bottle between the arms, as I do on the SC7, you'll probably be able to get it lower and more between your arms than with the integrated setup. If you change your mind *I think* you can purchase a stem afterwards to make it integrated - I've definitely seen someone do this. Now, whether the bars are then available separately (assume they must be) I couldn't tell as have never seen them for sale. The difference in drag between even the gen 1 and 2 versions of the SC is tiny...I know because I have both. The SC was a design that got 99% "there" aero-wise first time out...it's just that the gen 2 is easier to work on.

Agree with you here, though to quantify "tiny", the Trek whitepaper puts it at 43g average over the yaw sweep they tested. so still about 0.4 s/km saved.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinnybike wrote:
Ooooof. I guess I could only say that for the nominal climbing on those courses a lighter bike might provide more benefit/time savings from an exertion standpoint. That 90 seconds means nothing to me - maybe in a sprint or Olympic, but no way for anything longer. Goal of over 20.5mph for IM distance

Your drag will be less at 20.5 mph, but you'll be on the course longer, so it will approximately equal out on the time savings.

Best bet is to get a fit (if you haven't already) to make sure the Trek is the right bike for you (it may very well be, as the SCs can fit a wide range). Assuming it is, save the $1,100, go with the 7.0.

Use part of the savings to upgrade the cockpit (as suggested above).

ETA: you already have a set of wheels, so get a wheel cover and ditch the Stages for PT/Quarq, etc. so you can do Chung testing to get dialed in.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Dec 2, 15 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Trek SC 7.0 vs 2016 7.5 [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not seen any evidence of that given I race the same people frequently and from race cda.
Quote Reply