Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a long time since I last raced a bike, but is there any kind of scrutineering at races? I seem to remember my bike being checked over before road races. Not sure the same applies to helmets. It would seem strange to insist helmets are worn and then not check that they actually safe.

I kind of agree with the sentiment that helmets can be had cheap enough anyway there is no point risking it. I imagine a lot of the 'mark up' is due to the fact manufacturers have to submit their helmets to the appropriate testing bodies.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There is no reason to pay retail for a name brand helmet as long as you not insisting on having this year's model. And, if you are that vain, what the hell would you want a Chinese knock off for anyway?

Here's a barnd new new Giro Atmos for $55."

I saw that but it is a small only. I ended up buying the Bell Volt for about the same price from Back Country.

Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are full of shit, nothing wrong with cheap Chinese helmets, I've been using them for years, had numerous accidents and never had a problem. I had a problem with my neighbour though, he used to play loud music, which I now hate (I get headaches) and I got mad one day and put a pick axe through the back of his head. He's now buried in my backyard.
Last edited by: zedzded: Dec 1, 15 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally spaced the new Smith helmets... you're right, I'm very impressed with the advances they've made, thank you for the reminder.

Nobbie wrote:
There was a programme on TV last night where they tested a real Giro vs a Giro fake bought cheaply off Amazon. They did a kerb drop test on both with a dummy head inside. The real Giro stayed intact and registered 85G, well within the test limit of 250G. The fake helmet broke in two leaving an impression on the head and recorded over 1250G (testing machine limit).

If a deal seems to good to be true, maybe it is? Before seeing this I did wonder what special magic the Giro foam had, turns out quite a bit.

Now THAT would have been a convincing video. Honestly before i read this thread I hadn't even given a ton of thought to what goes into the testing, I've since looked it up. How nice would it be if there was an easy way to search the helmet testing results? Maybe then in addition to drag numbers we'd get manufactures bragging about G/impact numbers as well.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yes, you are right, all helmet technology has a long way to go, but you may not fully understand how a bicycle or motorcycle helmet works.

That Russian video, while highly unscientific, did indeed show that the Japanese helmet was far superior to the Chinese helmet in crash and brain safety.

I got a bit carried away there... totally agree the Japanese helmet is obviously FAR superior the the Chinese knock off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Everyone talks about certifications etc. I’m not sure if everyone is aware how trivial they really are.

http://www.bhsi.org/standard.htm

http://www.bhsi.org/...mp.htm#CERTIFICATION

In the nutshell: they take helmet strap on to 3.1kg-4.1kg ball and drop it from 1-1.5m and register g force, it has to be below 200g or 300g

Honestly, this test is a joke, YouTube video with guy batting the helmet is so totally not what this test is about.

Literally take bubble wrap and wrap around your head, tape loose ends and you will pass this test.

If you are curios if Chinese helmet would pass this test, buy it for 15$, insert 3kg weight in it together with iPhone and accelerometer app http://www.wired.com/...e-acceleration-apps/ drop it from 1.5 m. and see it is below 200g, I’m sure it will be. Test is from 1999....

In the past I have never wore the helmet, I wear helmet for last 7 years, I crashed twice and helmet surly saved me a lot of stitches and probably some serious concussion last time, as I landed at the back of my head. Will I use Chinese helmets, I can afford not to.

Having said that: I bought Bell Star Pro 4 months back for 360$ I just saw it on sale for 110$
I feel like sucker, does it cost more to produce it? Even if it cost double, that is huge in manufacturing, there is still a lot of markup for suckers in modern “super-fast” and safe helmets

Is BellPro helmet stronger than 20$ Walmart special, I doubt it, but my is surly 2 seconds faster ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Do you have a cheap EBay Chinese head?
Ha-HA....
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made a video of smashing a Specialized Propero helmet with a sledgehammer a few years ago. Video is crappy, but you can see how one takes a bunch of hits and finally starts breaking apart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMvIsXT1G9Q

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you planing on more smashing? Can I request TV behind you next :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the main issue will be fit. You can go to the store and get a helmet that is comfortable and most importantly "fits". The fit is more important than any certification or brand name. There is debate on exactly what helmets protect and how much they actually protect. I still wear mine for a piece of mind regardless of what the debate is at this time. I would feel fine in a wal-mart helmet as long as it fit well.

This may have been addressed in previous replies but I got sick of reading the asshole answers and decided to skip the rest.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The smith helmet looks great, however, do you find it high quality? Do the buckles, and padding seem like they'll hold up. I've been looking at the Smith podium TT and found a solid review, but just want to make sure Smith has quality helmets. I haven't ever owned one.

Go where you feel most alive. |TriHub
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [Alphatri36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alphatri36 wrote:
The smith helmet looks great, however, do you find it high quality? Do the buckles, and padding seem like they'll hold up. I've been looking at the Smith podium TT and found a solid review, but just want to make sure Smith has quality helmets. I haven't ever owned one.

Yep, the quality is just as good as the Specialized evade that I have.

I do find myself wearing the evade more often, it sits lower on my head and covers more of the side so I figure that must be a good thing. The Smith is nice for warmer days as it vents a bit better. I have a goofy shaped head so I wouldn't steer you away from the Smith, it is a good, high quality helmet. I have lots of riding buddies who have them and they are all happy. Also had a friend t-bone a car that pulled out in front of him while wearing a Smith helmet, it did it's job well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Ebay Chinese bike helmets? [Alphatri36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alphatri36 wrote:

I have the Smith Podium TT. I love it. Had a Javelin and cracked the lenses and decided to get a new helmet just because. Tried Aerohead and it was super hot and heavy for me. Hated it. Returned it and got the Smith. So far so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal. I'm a cheapskate so I'll buy a lot of things Chinese wholesale and knockoff if I can save a buck. I even plan on getting some Charbon wheels soon, maybe this year if I can pull together the scratch after getting a new job. However I draw the line at helmet. IF the helmet is certified it's fine. I'll wear it. IF NOT I'd spend the extra money on a real helmet that has proper certifications. There's plenty of value brands like Nashbar specials and such that are pretty nice for cheap. They're probably Chinese made, but have the proper certs on them.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply

Prev Next