Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: swim 1k scy touch-and-go vs 5k run time [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10K open water

42km marathon..

IIRC, the fastest open water 5k and 10k guys are doing a little better than 5k per hour, so not directly comparable, but close enough....

edit - looked up Ous Mellouli's time from London Olympics, 1:49:55. So close enough for comparison, especially if you lop off the extra 2K in the marathon to get to the 4:1 ratio. At elite marathoner's pace, that's what, 6 minutes?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Dec 1, 15 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: swim 1k scy touch-and-go vs 5k run time [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
while open turn you start stroking earlier even with a good glide

no. that has nothing to do with open turn vs flip turns. In breast and fly races, you are required to do open turns. A good flyer gets a long way off the wall.

turns match with 1500m time more cause a good swimmer will shoot off the wall and dophin kick a bit that you are already 10m out without doing 1 stroke,

Name a single distance swimmer who is getting 10m off each wall in a 800 or above. I can't even think of anyone in the 400 who does that (maybe Lochte & Phelps in the 400IM, but no 400 freestylers) and only a handful in the 200.

I think it's a waste of time trying to educate. The more I read this thread the more I noticed how many misconceptions he/ she is dealing with. 1000 has no correlation to 5K, open turn or flip turn or no turn.....At the world class level when comparing the events for the sake of correlating energy systems use, 5k and 1500/1650 can typically be compared. However 5k world class times are faster than swim times, but close enough for that purpose.
Same can be said for:
200m swim= 800m track
400m swim=1500m track

These above are close enough for energy system use comparison and for the sake of establishing commonalities in physiology of training to some degree. That is it.
Looking at Futures Champs meet just for giggles, I think about 9:34 is the male cut 1000SCY, that is way faster than 5k world record and that is Futures not even Nats of any kind........This is another thread where you don't get to learn much. 1000 does not compare to 5k.
Quote Reply
Re: swim 1k scy touch-and-go vs 5k run time [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
assuming you have no run injuries and aren't under training the run as typical recreational triathlete, how close are your times for this? 10k I did 2 days ago I hit 18:57 at the 5k point, today in the pool same time. This is not a first, as I noticed doing similar for other races vs swim. Please no flip turn debates (my 1km ows is 3 min faster than pool - yes still not great)

Just as a final note on this thread, here is some data from a post of mine from Oct 2013 in which i compared the WRs for the freestyle events vs the WRs for the analogous track events, using a roughly 4:1 ratio:

Event Swim WR (LCM) Run WR (Outdoors)
50/200 20.91 19.19
100/400 46.91 43.18
200/800 1:42.00 1:40.91
400/mile 3:40.07 3:43.13
800/3000 7:32.12 7:20.67
1500/5000 14:31.02 12:37.35

The runners are faster at the shorter distances despite the swimmers having a much faster start, but the swimmers are better able to maintain a faster pace in the events exceeding 2 minutes. In any case, the times are pretty comparable on a roughly 4:1 basis, especially at the middle distances of 200/800 and 400/mile where the respective records are very close.

Now the above swim WRs are in LCM which are hard to compare to scy times. However, if we look at the scm record for 800 free, which is 7:23.4 by Grant Hackett in 2010, which converts to about an 8:31 for the 1000 scy. Now had Hackett done open turns, then he might've gone 9:00 for the 1000 scy but still, i think you can see that the 1500 m swim is a much better comparison to the 5000 m run than the 1000 free.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: swim 1k scy touch-and-go vs 5k run time [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
This is another thread where you don't get to learn much. 1000 does not compare to 5k.

Unless you're a really bad swimmer.

Which is to say, a big chunk of us!

(Perhaps my swimming would improve if I swam more than 3x a month for 1-2k?)
Quote Reply
Re: swim 1k scy touch-and-go vs 5k run time [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, my 1/4 mile repeats and 100 yd repeats are pretty close when I'm in good shape. I'm currently in much better running shape, and doing 1/4 mile repeats at 5:20 pace, or 1 min 20 seconds. When I've swam a lot I can do 100 repeats touching around 1:22 on a 1:40 send off.

Anyone else pretty close with these two distances?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: swim 1k scy touch-and-go vs 5k run time [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
For me, my 1/4 mile repeats and 100 yd repeats are pretty close when I'm in good shape. I'm currently in much better running shape, and doing 1/4 mile repeats at 5:20 pace, or 1 min 20 seconds. When I've swam a lot I can do 100 repeats touching around 1:22 on a 1:40 send off.

Nah, you really need to compare 100 m swim repeats with 400 m track repeats as the WRs for 100 m free, 46.31 lcm and 44.94 scm, are much closer to the WR for 400 m run of 43.18. The American record (AR) for 100 scy is 40.76 which is about 2.4 sec faster than the 400 m run. As you may know, WRs are only kept for meters events, not yards, since the U.S. is only place that swims yards, so no WRs for scy events:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: swim 1k scy touch-and-go vs 5k run time [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

As discussed earlier on this thread the 1:4 distance ratio between swim and run pretty well yield the same time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next