Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
l do not believe this and definitely has never applied to me at any age, and I am now 55 and closer to 56. Perhaps it is what you drink, but I am a tequila guy and I am a beer guy who drinks beer in accordance with Bavarian purity laws that are almost 500 years old. Good luck finding those studies, and when you do, post them here.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
I don't think it takes a genius to realize that drinking is not going to benefit athletic performance. I know when I hit it a bit hard it impacts my training, sometimes for a few days (age may be a factor here - I'm 46). This morning I had a poor swim practice. I jokingly mentioned to a fellow swimmer that I must still be feeling the effects of my home football team's semi-final win this past Sunday. He mentioned that every 2 drinks costs one training day and that the impact for additional drinks is not additive, it's logarithmic. If that's true, then I might as well pack it in until Christmas. Can anybody direct me to scientific studies which have looked at the impact of alcohol consumption on athletic performance. I would like to read up on this myself.

then i have a net negative loss... i've done 5 IM's, improved my time from 12:49 to 10:29. improved in each discipline and i drink throughout my training. i enjoy beer, and wine, and scotch, and cocktails. just don't get drunk often and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank Shorter famously downed a couple Gin and Tonics the night before winning the '72 Olympic Marathon in 2:12. Said it helped him relax and get a better nights sleep. I wouldn't argue with success.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
I'm not sure about that. I know a Kona qualifier who drinks beer by the keg.

odd, me too. But he doesn't drink anymore so his FB postings aren't as interesting
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ptakeda wrote:
rbuike wrote:
I'm not sure about that. I know a Kona qualifier who drinks beer by the keg.

odd, me too. But he doesn't drink anymore so his FB postings aren't as interesting

And he couldn't qualify for Kona anymore either :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relevant: http://inkybeer.com/tag/frank-shorter/

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some of my best days training and racing the morning after a few drinks. Got to look at overall picture. Stress, being able to relax, stretch, envision your next days W/O or race. Chilling out for me and being able to calm myself works with a beer or three. So far, All American in wrestling, Tri and World champion powerlifter. This logarithm sounds like a crock. Find what works for you and always try and make it better. Speaking of which, time for a beer

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 drinks = a PB night before a race. dont believe the 1 lost day stat.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I'm doomed.

If you are generally drinking only in moderation I wouldn't worry about it. I typically have 1 beer a night with dinner/while making dinner/etc.

Me too. They aren't paying me enough to forego a few beers a week.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
Logerithmic means the difference between 100 and 10 drinks is the same as 10 and 1 drinks. Largest impact early on

So once you get started drinking, no point stopping!

Friday / Saturday I have a glass of wine. Or two. At three, I know my long run on Sunday morning is gonna suck big time, so I stop at two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
I don't think it takes a genius to realize that drinking is not going to benefit athletic performance. I know when I hit it a bit hard it impacts my training, sometimes for a few days (age may be a factor here - I'm 46). This morning I had a poor swim practice. I jokingly mentioned to a fellow swimmer that I must still be feeling the effects of my home football team's semi-final win this past Sunday. He mentioned that every 2 drinks costs one training day and that the impact for additional drinks is not additive, it's logarithmic. If that's true, then I might as well pack it in until Christmas. Can anybody direct me to scientific studies which have looked at the impact of alcohol consumption on athletic performance. I would like to read up on this myself.

Steve Prefontaine definitely disagrees with this. So does Lance Armstrong. I think there are a lot of good endurance athletes who like to drink a little too much.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcohol the new PED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
He mentioned that every 2 drinks costs one training day and that the impact for additional drinks is not additive, it's logarithmic.

that's total BS. Some of my best workouts have been the morning after a few drinks. And the night before my best IM performance I had one bottle of IPA. The night before my worst IM performance I had water. There is all the proof you need!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a bottle of proseco today and will probably have some port later, so apparently I am screwed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
86% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Assuming 1-2 standard drinks, I'd argue exactly no measureable difference.

I have found that when I have 3 beers after work, my cycle commute home is almost always one of the top 3 times for the month. 4 or more and it starts to impact my speed.

I think that has to do with A) the carbs in the drink (beer or rum n coke) B) the anaesthetic effect of the alcohol :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Scott_B wrote:
He mentioned that every 2 drinks costs one training day and that the impact for additional drinks is not additive, it's logarithmic.

that's total BS. Some of my best workouts have been the morning after a few drinks. And the night before my best IM performance I had one bottle of IPA. The night before my worst IM performance I had water. There is all the proof you need!

I assume the comment was in relation to losing out of the training effect, not runining your workout the next day. You might have had a great workout after a heavy night of drinking, but that doesn't mean the drinking helped you get faster in the long run.

I agree that it seems like a bogus fact, but saying that you can race/train well the day after a few drinks doesn't do anything to counter that fact.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
I assume the comment was in relation to losing out of the training effect

why did you assume that? It's not like alcohol reduces or limits inflammation. If anything it increases inflammation and should therefore enhance the training effect. That's the theory I'm going with anyway

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
I assume the comment was in relation to losing out of the training effect

why did you assume that? It's not like alcohol reduces or limits inflammation. If anything it increases inflammation and should therefore enhance the training effect. That's the theory I'm going with anyway

Wait....but banging your body with a sledgehammer also increases inflammation or does banging your head against a cement wall. I need to find better options for enhancing training affect. Maybe step 1 to enhancing training affect is spending more time training and less time on ST. Actually maybe not, I'd just go from overtrained, to extremely overtrained.

But anyway, maybe instead of maltodextrin, you can just use beer during the double marathon at Ultraman Florida. Since you just have to empty the tank that day and not recover for another day of racing, you can just go all out!
Quote Reply
Re: 2 Alcoholic Drinks = 1 Lost Training Day? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tempting! I did drink a beer during wildflower 2012, and I felt great for about 20 mins... After that not so much! I blame the hot dog though...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this were true, how would anyone ever train for the beer mile?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in college, and I have to say that if this is true, it's a miracle our swim team and XC team can train at all! For that reason..Id have to call BS.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Tempting! I did drink a beer during wildflower 2012, and I felt great for about 20 mins... After that not so much! I blame the hot dog though...

Talk to Jan Ullrich. I bet you he would recommend beer and saurkraut for your Ultraman Florida run leg!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are into getting smashed multiple times a week or you are racing professionally, enjoy your damn beer. It's a hobby, people! Relax and enjoy your life.
Quote Reply

Prev Next