Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Connect Account for Underage
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, my kids are getting a couple of vivosmart devices for Christmas, they are 8 and 10 (hey what can I say, they want them and grandma's a pushover. The problem I have is that Garmin Connect is now based off email addresses for user id and email providers are requiring minimum age (Gmail, yahoo mail, msn ...). Anyone know the best way to do this and still remain quassi legit, I can falsify their ages but I was hoping there was a way not to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect Account for Underage [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both my kids and every kid in the school I teach at get an email address through the school board. Perhaps, you could use that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have an apple anything (and maybe you do) so I'm not sure this would work for you since I'm not sure how it works. If your kid as an apple ID, can they have their own email address or something?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201084

To participate in Family Sharing, all family members must have their own Apple ID. Children under 13* can't create an Apple ID on their own. However, as a parent or legal guardian, the family organizer can provide verified parental consent for a child to have their own Apple ID, then create it on the child’s behalf. If your child already has an Apple ID, you can update their email address,.......
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect Account for Underage [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's your ISP?
I get like 10 email accounts.
My daughter has accounts for the cats, dogs, a goat and a steer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about purchasing a domain name, which will then be unique to you and you can have as many email addresses as you want?

For example:
name@domainname.com
name2@domainname.com
name3@domainname.com

etc etc etc

As an aside:
I have a google apps domain name, which is limited to 10 users, and I've set them up for the kids (now 5 and 7). The mrs and I cc them in on any cool pictures we email around, and when they're older, we'll give them access to those accounts, and they'll have the historic pictures we sent them.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect Account for Underage [gahddenbooi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gahddenbooi wrote:
I have a google apps domain name, which is limited to 10 users
I do as well, but it's no longer free as of 1/1/2013. It continues to be free for those grandfathered in under the old programs, which is nice. When Microsoft has a service cutback, they don't often grandfather people in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to sound "immoral" but any reason not to just falsify their ages? I really don't see any harm in it. Those providers do it to protect young ones from getting sought out by internet predators. Since your children won't be the ones using the account then why not just falsify? It's not like these will be their email addresses for eternity. Just don't make their email username something they would probably want to use in the future for their "real" accounts. Seems like an easy decision, but maybe that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Connect Account for Underage [triball13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triball13 wrote:
Not to sound "immoral" but any reason not to just falsify their ages? I really don't see any harm in it. Those providers do it to protect young ones from getting sought out by internet predators. Since your children won't be the ones using the account then why not just falsify? It's not like these will be their email addresses for eternity. Just don't make their email username something they would probably want to use in the future for their "real" accounts. Seems like an easy decision, but maybe that's just me.

+1. My 9yr old has one. My wife and I made the acc for her (for some a kids internet game) and we monitor it. Have the account synced with our phones. Nothing funky goes on, espeically if its just for a Garmin account, game acc, etc.. My daughter has no interest in emails, I look at it as more of a shared account really. But to each his own!
Quote Reply