http://www.cnn.com/...a-city-beach-fl.wala
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and it's not even Shark Week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't stand going to CNN's website. They are constantly pumping video just to show adds. I'd rather read the story somewhere else.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go - not as exciting as CNN, but you get the idea ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video - would not want to be in that water, but given the one beach shot without a single high rise in sight as far as you can see to the west, I would guess this is at the far western end of PCB many, many miles from the IMFL swim location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awh. Those are just the wee little guys. shoulda pet them.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the Maldives in July. There was a lovely beach right outside our "villa" where I did plenty swimming. A couple of nights after we arrived we discovered there was a shark feeding to go watch on the island every evening at dusk so we went along. We went along for a look and right on cue about 20 or 30 black tip reef sharks turned up and started milling about waiting for food. As soon as they threw in some food (chunks of tuna by the looks of it) they started swimming around each other in a tight ball grabbing mouthfulls as they went. All very dramatic!
They did this every night about 150m from where I was swimming. No barriers of any kind. If they wished these sharks could come swim with me any time they liked, I was only say a 15s swim from their feeding location. I still swam there the rest of the next day although I didn't make an effort to do any seal impressions. Sharks don't particularly like eating people it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duathlon it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is not going to help IMFL's registration numbers...that was crazy.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are just showing you what all those IMFL swimmers look like from their point of view.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it appears the sharks got much calmer waters than those at IMFL this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [Devlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but they still complained about the crowded start and others swimming over them.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting... I imagine there was a large school of something they were enjoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
Yeah but they still complained about the crowded start and others swimming over them.

7.5/10

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would guess this is at the far western end of PCB many, many miles from the IMFL swim location

Correct! The CNN story says they were in Inlet Beach, which is 10-12 miles west of the IMFL swim.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar experience in Tahiti. My daughter went there the year before. Lovely beach side resort. Swam several times a day. Then she joined the swim with the sharks. She got picked up at the pier several resorts away from hers. They drove the boat to about 300m off the beach at her resort. There was a small sandbar they all sway around. The tour guys threw chunks of fish into the middle of the tourists and about 50 2m long black tip reef sharks showed up eating the fish chunks.

I signed up for the same tour. Same scenario. We were told don't touch the sharks. Apparently the sharks didn't get the memo. I had about 10 sharks bump me as they passed by me to the latest chunk of fish being thrown in. It was epic great fun.

I have an uncle that was attacked by a great white about 40 years ago. He survived and still regularly swims in the ocean. Shark attacks are pretty rare (compared with so many other dangerous activities) and last I heard, only about 20% are fatal (showing most attacks are accidents?).

I still swim regularly in water known to have sharks. No worries.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
I had a similar experience in Tahiti. My daughter went there the year before. Lovely beach side resort. Swam several times a day. Then she joined the swim with the sharks. She got picked up at the pier several resorts away from hers. They drove the boat to about 300m off the beach at her resort. There was a small sandbar they all sway around. The tour guys threw chunks of fish into the middle of the tourists and about 50 2m long black tip reef sharks showed up eating the fish chunks.
I signed up for the same tour. Same scenario. We were told don't touch the sharks. Apparently the sharks didn't get the memo. I had about 10 sharks bump me as they passed by me to the latest chunk of fish being thrown in. It was epic great fun.
I have an uncle that was attacked by a great white about 40 years ago. He survived and still regularly swims in the ocean. Shark attacks are pretty rare (compared with so many other dangerous activities) and last I heard, only about 20% are fatal (showing most attacks are accidents?).

F*** that man, it's bad enough having to worry about cars running over you on the bike, let alone sharks. I'm glad that I prefer swimming in just a regular pool where the worst that can happen is banging your ankles on a flip turn, or falling on a slippery pool deck, both of which i would call "no worries" much more easily than the sharks:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
tridork wrote:

F*** that man, it's bad enough having to worry about cars running over you on the bike, let alone sharks. I'm glad that I prefer swimming in just a regular pool where the worst that can happen is banging your ankles on a flip turn, or falling on a slippery pool deck, both of which i would call "no worries" much more easily than the sharks:)
Let go of the fear! ;)

Just because something COULD hurt you doesn't mean you need to go around being afraid of it.
Stop watching the news if that helps.

You're far more likely to be killed by an asteroid than by a shark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
tridork wrote:

Let go of the fear! ;)
Just because something COULD hurt you doesn't mean you need to go around being afraid of it.
Stop watching the news if that helps. You're far more likely to be killed by an asteroid than by a shark.

Well, TBH, I was exaggerating as i am not afraid to swim in the ocean per se, and i always do the day before a race and of course during the race obv. However, I just genuinely prefer swimming in the pool simply b/c i know precisely how fast/slow i am going. Plus, i actually enjoy doing flip turns and gliding off the wall, getting a nice big breaststroke pull-out, etc. I just love swimming in the pool, which i know makes me need to have my head examined under ST guidelines. Liking swimming is actually listed as a no-go under the "Things to know about this forum" (semi-pink).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
tridork wrote:

Let go of the fear! ;)
Stop watching the news if that helps. You're far more likely to be killed by an asteroid than by a shark.

Well, TBH, I was exaggerating as i am not afraid to swim in the ocean per se, and i always do the day before a race and of course during the race obv. However, I just genuinely prefer swimming in the pool simply b/c i know precisely how fast/slow i am going. Plus, i actually enjoy doing flip turns and gliding off the wall, getting a nice big breaststroke pull-out, etc. I just love swimming in the pool, which i know makes me need to have my head examined under ST guidelines. Liking swimming is actually listed as a no-go under the "Things to know about this forum" (semi-pink).
I mostly just dislike the pool because it's always too warm....and I don't like turning so often!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
tridork wrote:

Let go of the fear! ;)

I mostly just dislike the pool because it's always too warm....and I don't like turning so often!

I can understand the too warm part but your dislike of "turning so often" makes me think you didn't grow up swimming on a team where flip turns were required/expected on freestyle and backstroke. The flip turn is a work of art and reflects the swimmer's personality, just as a swimmer's stroke reflects their personality. Of course, body build, height, reach, flexibility all affect a swimmer's stroke also, but all things being equal, a swimmer's personality is in the mix also:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The military folks I know in the Panhandle have long said that going up in a helicopter that's low enough to see just how many sharks & dolphins are out past the second sandbar is something that would scare many people out of the Gulf of Mexico for good.

Fortunately, I'm really good at shutting down my normally overactive imagination when it comes to open water swimming and creating this mental state of deniability that the sharks aren't in the Gulf and the safety boats for bayou/bay side races are really just supposed to be assisting swimmers and aren't really additionally scaring the gators away from the swim course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DId you just refer to kick turns as a work of art? I figured someone who "grew up" flipturning would think about them as about what they are, turning around in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [gotstago1406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotstago1406 wrote:
Did you just refer to kick turns as a work of art? I figured someone who "grew up" flip-turning would think about them as about what they are, turning around in the pool.

Well, i'm sure that opinions on flip turns vary but ya, i do think of them as "works of art", just as a smooth swimmer's stroke is a work of art, an excellent tennis player's strokes are works of art, a good golfer's strokes, etc. You are under no obligation to think this way but I do:)

Quote Reply
Re: Shark Feeding Frenzy at Panama City Beach [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear the same thing here along St Pete and Clearwater Beach yet we swim there again and again without incident. Just don't swim alone or at night and you are good...except maybe along the Atlantic Coast. I'm not going in that water!
Quote Reply