Looking at 3 bikes:

Felt IA 10
2015 Trek Speed concept 7.5 with Di2
2016 Cervelo P3

What is your choice???
Quote Reply
Re: New bike question [yannickb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost everyone is going to say the one that fits you the best (which i agree with). What is your criteria though? Do you want the nicest paint scheme, the easiest to wrench on, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: New bike question [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After bike fit that's what came as options... They could potentially all fit me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IA10 is probably cheapest for Di2, or you could get the IA14 and spend a lot less if you don't require electronic gears.
The IAx bikes come with the Bayonet 3 cockpit which looks to be a great choice, decent aerodynamics and loads of adjustability. For high yaw it should be the fastest of the 3 all else being equal.
The Felt also has the integrated bento box which was originally a selling point for me. However, the more I've found out about it the less I like it. It seems rather small, tricky to access and prone to the cover falling off.
It's a little heavy too but that's not a huge concern for Tri. Everything else about the bike looks pretty good to me.
  • Aerodynamically good
  • Spec is good assuming you'll use the original wheels for training
  • Adjustability for fit is good except that the stem probably can't be replaced or flipped. (I believe it's delivered with the steerer cut for the bespoke stem with a short clamp area and no stem spacers)
  • Mounting options for water bottles/draft box etc are better than usual (although a top tube mount in place of the integrated bento would suit me even better!)
  • Some integration but shouldn't make it too difficult to work on

I know a lot less about the other two.
Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yannickb wrote:
After bike fit that's what came as options... They could potentially all fit me.

If they all fit then buy the pretty one, the one you would be proud to own.

The difference in performance between most modern bikes in the same price range is meaningless.

"f you can't be fast, be color coordinated." A quote from my wife at B2B to her tri-team members the night before of the race)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're also "buying" the bike shop too. Consider that in your purchase decision.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of those frames are great choices and all probably very close aerodynamically with the trek probably having a slight advantage due to the fast aerobar (put a ventus of a tri rig on the other two and it is probably back to very close). Of course the trek has the ability to tilt the extensions and pads, really something unqiue to the trek bar with respect to really fast aerobars, but it also forces you to use the trek aero bar extensions and does not allow rolling the extensions, unless you buy the adapter (angling the extensions and pads makes some people much faster). The stock felt aerobar is probably the easiest and most adjustable of the three, so it allows you to modify your position and your position is the biggest cause of drag.

The p3 is the most conventional of the 3, with a normal front end and a normal rear brake. The IA has a normal front end, but an under the BB rear brake. The Trek is the most super bikey with all sorts of differences from normal bikes, so at the very least there is a bit of a learning curve to figuring out how to work on it.

The trek has the nice draft box, so a very aerodynamic way to store spares. The trek and the felt also have two water bottle mounts inside the frame, the P3 only has mounts on the down tube. So for training the trek and felt more easily carry more water.

Personally I like the Felt paint schemes the best.

Really, those are three great bikes. Of course you could also see how much it would cost to upgrade a p2 to Di2, that may be the cheapest and you could use that money to buy a fast aerobar and be as fast as the trek and felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If fit equal, buy the one that makes you lust to ride it! The more you ride, the stronger you should be. If the SC7.5 comes with Di2 shifting on the basebar as well as the extensions, thats a big plus depending on where you live (I live where its hilly/mountainous so spend some time on the basebar). I have Di2 for the first time on my new tri rig and LOVE it. If the FeltIA comes with Di2, I would pick that over Trek/Cervelo.
My $0.02

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are any of them hard to work on, or have proprietary parts? That would be a consideration for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm struggling with the same question and the same 3 bikes right now, though only looking at 2016's across the board.
My concerns have been crosswinds and fit on the Felt (I'm 6'3" and hover around 155lbs), whether the Cervelo is really worth upgrading to (currently on a 2011 Felt B14).

I like the look of the Felt, but I don't want to be too much of a sail and get blown off the road on a gusty day. There aren't great fit options for tall ridres on the IA either...
Quote Reply
Re: New bike question [WrigleyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WrigleyRunner wrote:
(I'm 6'3" and hover around 155lbs)

Featherweight ;)
Quote Reply
Re: New bike question [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
......The trek has the nice draft box, so a very aerodynamic way to store spares. The trek and the felt also have two water bottle mounts inside the frame, the P3 only has mounts on the down tube. So for training the trek and felt more easily carry more water....
FYI - The Trek draft box will also fit the Felt IAx frame bolted to the new mounting point on the back of the seat tube.
Quote Reply