Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are you training for an Ironman with 4hrs of sleep a day? [the OP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am 46. soon to be 47. i sleep 5 consecutive hours every night. when i hit that 5 hour mark, i wake up feeling alert and ready to rock. if i went to bed at 10, then it really sucks. i have no idea where this came from. when i was a teenager, i would sleep thru multiple alarms, racking up 10 or 12 hours of sleep. but whatever, life is what it is.

performance-wise, i like to work out when i wake up. that means a lot of runs or trainer time at 0430 or 0500. and i do ok, for me, a consistent MOPer. BUT, every once in a while, i get to work out in the early afternoon. daylight, fresh air, fully caffinated ... :-). those workouts are much better. more power, more speed, etc. so, get the sleep you can get. schedule your workouts appropriately.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you training for an Ironman with 4hrs of sleep a day? [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a crazy work schedule with variable shifts, but I still manage to sleep.

I will wake up to train if it's something scheduled, like a swim class.

It only works for mer because I'm a good sleeper (I can nap, I fall asleep quickly when tired, I sleep deeply, and can get up when my alarm goes off), and I have a supportive wife that doesn't bother me when I go to bed (and no kids).

Left to my own devices I sleep 8 hours +/-, but I can go a day or two only getting 4-6 hours, and if I'm coming off a big training day and didn't get to sleep the night before I can go 10 hours straight.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you training for an Ironman with 4hrs of sleep a day? [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dboatx wrote:
How many of you guys are training for an Ironman with minimal sleep? What is your PB?

Ive done 5 full and I cant seem to break the 13hrs. I am consistent with my training but I just cant get enough sleep! I only get 4hours of sleep a day due to my work schedule (all night shifts) and 2 kids.
I wonder if there are others out there who are sleeping the same amount yet finishing earlier on race day.

Thanks!

My first IM was on about 4 hours a night with most long rides indoors. Was Wisconsin in the rain in 06, went 10:52 I think. A few years later my body completely shut down. Sleep is sooo important.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 24, 15 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   I too, get minimal sleep as well. Its just how I've always been. Life will not allow more! I'll get between 4 and 5 hours (if I'm lucky) due to a new baby, kids, and work. I've always been a 5hr a night sleeper though. I've just always functioned on 5 hrs. Once every other week or so, if training catches up with me, I'll get more, if I can. I'll train 20-22 hrs in season, and go 10hr in IM distance. I find that really utilizing the taper is the most important part. That, and not letting your immune system drop.
I work early. Thats how I start my day. I always assumed others were not getting a full 8 as well! Others who get up at 4am and go for a swim, and THEN go to work, THEN get a run or ride in later in the day or whatever they do, are they now going to bed at 8pm every night?!? My 9 year old doesn't even go to bed at 8pm! Am I supposed to cash out before my child does every night?!? I guess for non-parents its easier? My grandpa used to say "its the highlander in us." (I'm Scottish) Back in the day, you'd sleep lightly, and only a few hours a night, otherwise you'd get your horse stolen in the middle of the night or something... Worked for William Wallace, right?!?! I guess some are just wired differently than others! That said... I imagine if I got more sleep, I'd see better results!!!

Best of luck to ya!

-Edit.... Rereading the TITLE of the thread... I get 5 hrs of sleep a night... If it starts shifting to 4 hrs... Then I REALLY feel it. Its a fine line. And for me, anything less than 5hrs I start feeling right away!
Last edited by: 777: Nov 24, 15 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Are you training for an Ironman with 4hrs of sleep a day? [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all the "under 5 hours of sleep crowd", be aware the sleep apnea could very well be the cause of your problems, especially if you're not feeling as perky in workouts as you did when you were younger.

I used to sleep 8 hrs a day until age 18, and then it gradually worsened to 7,6,5, then in my 30s, I rarely slept more than 4 continuous hours in a time. I'd still be tired but I had to wake up, do something else for about 60 mins before going back to sleep or trying (and usually failing) to go back to sleep again.

I happen to be a very high energy person at baseline, so my 'tired' = 'normal' for most people, so I didn't assume it was so abnormal despite the overall dragging feelings. Then a kid came along and I assumed the kid was messing up my sleep cycle, but it remained totally messed up after the kid started sleeping. I was functioning well at work, but always felt like I could fall asleep quickly if I closed my eyes, and my hard workouts were deteriorating more and more.

It got really bad after age 35 to the point I ended up getting a sleep study. Turns out that I have severe sleep apnea with onset in deep REM sleep. Like 70 wakeups an hour according to the somnogram. I don't fit the risk profile at all - not overweight, no thick neck, in shape, not known to be a big snorer. But the tests were unequivocal - the doctor showed me graph after graph documenting it since I couldn't believe it. I was waking up after 4 hours because that's when big REM kicks in, and then since I'm not breathing enough, my body refuses to let me sleep until I 'reset' my REM. Even with drugs like ambien or others, I'll just get more fatigued and sleepy-feeling, but my body will not let me sleep with breathing rates that low.

I ended up getting a CPAP machine. It has significantly improved things, but is far from normal. The main thing is that now when I hit the REM sleep (after 4-5 hours, which is when the apnea kicks in and why my body would keep me awake after 4-5 hrs), I can crank up the CPAP settings, and magically, I can usually go back to sleep, albeit fitfully, for 7-8 total hours. After that, I actually feel pretty normal, and not fatigued, adn workouts are MUCH better.

So if you feel like your sleep is deteriorating, consider getting a sleep apnea study. It's made a big improvement in my life - turns out it's probably genetic in my case as my entire family has the same 'no sleep after REM' pattern, but I'm the only one who has gotten it back to near-normal with a CPAP machine.
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 24, 15 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Are you training for an Ironman with 4hrs of sleep a day? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I don't believe this is strictly true.
Most can't, but some can.
I did for over 15 years with no ill effects.
However, if you need it, don't deprive yourself of it.
P.S. I was not an athlete for most of that period. If I was it probably would have added a little to my requirements.

Not being an athlete is key to being able to do that. I know people who work, then play video games all night, and get 4 hours of sleep and they probably have more energy than I do. They also are not destroying their bodies training. Sleep = healing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next