Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Carbon rim too?

Because if carbon disc plus AL rim works, Renn makes one that is pretty well regarded.

What are the downsides to the Renn clincher disc assuming I am fine with Al braking track relative to spending a lot more for a Zipp Clincher disk?

I personally have not used the Renn, so I cannot give you my own experience.
But I doubt that there are any downsides to the Renn if it fits your needs.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Carbon rim too?

Because if carbon disc plus AL rim works, Renn makes one that is pretty well regarded.

What are the downsides to the Renn clincher disc assuming I am fine with Al braking track relative to spending a lot more for a Zipp Clincher disk?

I personally have not used the Renn, so I cannot give you my own experience.
But I doubt that there are any downsides to the Renn if it fits your needs.

Greg @ dsw

so cheaper, a bit heavier, a bit less aero, so generally a cost vs performance tradeoff? But nothing really bad?
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See if someone who rides a Renn chimes in, I know that many people seem happy with their Renn discs, but I can't say much more since I have not used one myself.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the Renn disc a few months back. Very happy with it and weight wise it was actually one of the lighter on the market. Needed a flat disc for my Kestrel 4000, other will not fit. Read up on all reviews I could find before buying it and could find only positive comments from other users. The previous model had some issues with the disc flexing but the current is more stiff.

Think the main difference is that it is a flat disc while many others including Zipp are not. There might be a small aero penalty to this, but some studies have shown that it depends on how the frame protects or exposes the rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [joafr339] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [joafr339] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
W/r to fit the Zipp Super 9 CC is essentially flat.
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep reading conflicting arguments about disc wheels.

Is there a definitive advantage to discs over say a 808?
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all else being equal, power to spin will be less
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run a 5-7-5, 700c tubular rear wheel for mostly races only since about 2008.
Here's my .02:

Weight - not an issue, ever.

Lateral Stiffness - IS an issue on very hilly courses, or hard, out of saddles pulls.
For shorter races (more out of saddles efforts) and hilly courses, I would have to back the barrel adjuster way off to compensate for flex.
Define short, you say (this is ST) - I'd put it at anything under 60k/1.5 hour effort.
Again, flatter courses, not an issue. Long courses, not an issue.

Aero - Not my area of expertise vs. an 808, HED3 at varying yaw, etc., but
<pink> It's a disc, so it's got to be faster, right?<pink>

Overall, I've been very happy with it. I'm running a 22c Bontrager Race X Lite Pro that has a fairly low crr.
That being said, getting ready to sell it in favor of a wide rim with Powertap hub for power data.

----------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
hideano wrote:
Rolf Prima
www.rolfprima.com/tdf4sl-disc/

we're a dealer.

OP was asking for a disc wheel, not a disc brake wheel.

I think he maybe meant to use this link:

http://www.rolfprima.com/disc-cl/

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: who else makes a full carbon clincher disc besides zipp [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He clearly pulled it from the website which had plenty of pictures on that page. Pretty bad for a dealer.

I didn't know a Rolf disc wheel existed, so thank you for that. It looks nice. It also looks prettty narrow which isn't too nice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next