Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scottsdale, AZ
Quote | Reply
Heading out to Scottsdale for Thanksgiving. I found some different rides and runs that had been posted about in the past but wasn't sure if some of those would have changed due to the holidays. Looking for any info on any groups rides or runs that I could hop in. We are staying at Talking Stick Resort. It didn't appear this was too far from the Beeline so I assumed I could hop on this for a ride or ride through town over to the canal and run if there weren't any group events. Thanks in advance for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Scottsdale, AZ [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about group rides, but you can jump on Shea and take it out east toward Beeline, which is the IMAZ course. The shoulders of the road are wide there, but you are more likely to get a flat on that stretch.

Other than that, a lot of cyclists in the area ride Pima Road from about Legacy Blvd to Cave Creek, where Pima dead ends. This route is a slight incline going out, and downhill on the way back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good group rides start at Bicycle ranch in Scottsdale or the BOS ride is a fast group ride as well. They are on Saturday mornings but call the shop to confirm times or check out the website - undergroundcrit.com for all the group rides in Phoenix area.

Or you could ride the beeline to Fountain Hills and join in on the Saturday morning group ride that leaves the MMC bike shop at 8am.

Have fun!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canal runs are not very exciting, from there I'd prefer the Indian Bend wash, which runs between Hayden and Scottsdale roads all the way to Tempe Town Lake....it's basically a park the majority of the way.

Mountain View Road and Via Linda get lots of bike traffic and are better than Shea but to get to FH you eventually have to take Shea over the hill, it's decent though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Scottsdale (http://www.triscottsdale.org) has a Thursday morning ride that you could catch not far from your hotel, but I don't know if it will happen on Thanksgiving or not. They also have a Saturday ride, I believe, but I've never done it. Bicycle Ranch has a very popular Saturday ride with everything from hammering "A group" to mellow "C group." - 7:30am - http://www.bicycleranch.com

This Sunday is the Toys for Tots ride from Lushburger - bring a new, unwrapped toy before the ride; free breakfast after. 7:30am from Lushburger - http://lushburgeraz.com

Otherwise, you can check out the Strava heat map to see the most popular riding and running routes: http://labs.strava.com/...7/33.64320/blue/bike

Don't waste your time on the Beeline - in my opinion, it sucks between its south end (Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale) and Shea, which is part of the IM AZ course, but is much better between Shea and Bush Hwy to do the Usery Pass Loop.
Quote Reply
Re: Scottsdale, AZ [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just moved to midtown Phoenix area a few months ago. I used the strava heat map to figure out where I would do some of my first rides.

I'm a little west of where you'll be staying, but I can hop on the Grand Canal within a few minutes and ride that west to Peoria with no traffic. There can be a lot of walkers/runners and slow bikers on the canal so it's not always the best place to hammer a workout. If you want somewhere with no fear of being run over, it's a good spot. I've also hopped on Dreamy Draw Rd and gone up into park and on the bikeway. Then I'll get on Mtn. View Rd to Doubletree Ranch Rd. I've tooled around in that area a few times and pretty much every road around there has a bike lane and is fairly quiet.

If you want to see my Garmin files, DM me and I can send them along. I only have a few as I've only got about 4 rides outside here since moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few listed here:

http://www.clippedin.bike/events/all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 3 fave Phx rides (I'm not local - but I come down from Flagstaff regularly to ride in the warmth):
-South Mountain (unless it's still closed)
-Out to Bartlett Lake and back (you determine starting point, make it super long or short)
-Dove Valley Rd - the smoothest loveliest low traffic huge shoulder 8 mi stretch that you can hammer back and forth on, all day!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned previously, beeline other than top end is not that exciting. However If you go that way to Shea, you can make your way north of Fountain Hills, go through tonto verde and catch rio verde back over to Pima. Rio Verde is one of the best extending climbing roads around here with no lights. Around 9 miles of steady climbing east to west. Only problem is not much of a shoulder and the traffic is zipping. Luckily, tons of other cyclists out there and motorists seem to give a lot of room.

Another good one is taking Pima north and turning off at Legend Trail and working your way up to the radio towers. Some big old TV style looking antennas. Take either Lone Mountain or Boulder View to cut across to cave creek road to get to towers or Bartlett. Make sure you take Boulder View coming back south and it's a fun twisty road with no stop signs.

Hill repeats can be done on pinnacle peak, thompson peak, happy valley and a shorter climb going west/east on rio verde (crests about 3+ miles west/east)

Have fun and enjoy the sunshine!

Looking for a place to swim? check out http://swimradar.com
Mountain Bike and Adventure Guiding - http://fivestaradventure.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scottsdale, AZ [Hatsack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hatsack wrote:
My 3 fave Phx rides (I'm not local - but I come down from Flagstaff regularly to ride in the warmth):
-South Mountain (unless it's still closed)
-Out to Bartlett Lake and back (you determine starting point, make it super long or short)
-Dove Valley Rd - the smoothest loveliest low traffic huge shoulder 8 mi stretch that you can hammer back and forth on, all day!!

Agree, Dove Valley is great for riding. 8 miles each way with a bike lane for probably 7.5 miles. Flat as a board but otherwise probably the best riding there is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unfortunately, so mountain is still closed.... since august!

@ lee, we actually went to UWM together quite a while back. Im up in Peoria, about 25 miles NW of you if you want to hookup of a ride.

BOS is a fun, hard ride. My favorited places to ride are Cave Creek/Bartlett Lake

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed running in the mountain parks in and around Scottsdale. My favorite was Browns Ranch Trailhead.
Quote Reply