Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running tips
Quote | Reply
I've got a question, is running 3 miles every 3 x a week followed by long efforts in the 8- 10 miles range is this over the top for a half iron-man training ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Running tips [cannond7282] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, it's probably not nearly enough; however, that's subject to whether you want to compete or complete.

If you do 3x3mi and 2x8-10mi, that's not bad, but certainly not ideal. Ideally, you would want to throw in one run that's at least 12mi.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better to run 6-7 days a week and ramp up your mileage. You will need more of a run base if you don't want to be walking part of the race. You should scale up your mileage no more than 10% a week with your long run being no more than 30% of your weekly mileage to prevent injury. Get total mileage up to 30+ miles a week and you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Running tips [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the response. This is a great web site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on what kind of runner you are, what you are doing with your other training, and what you are doing with your running. People can run quite well in HIM on 20-25 miles a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look up the the BarryP plan on this forum. It is a great way to build miles and speed safely.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Running tips [mauvais poisson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.
Quote Reply
Re: Running tips [mauvais poisson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauvais poisson wrote:
It depends on what kind of runner you are, what you are doing with your other training, and what you are doing with your running. People can run quite well in HIM on 20-25 miles a week.

Definitely true, I'm one of those people that needs to run 40+ a week in order to be any good at running. But I only need to ride 120-150 miles a week on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I'd say it really depends on you. My longest run in training for my last HIM was only 9 miles. But I made sure to work my bike to run to get the legs used to it. Only ran maybe 15 miles a week,listen to what your body tells u!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all dependent on what you want to achieve and what you're willing to commit.
I did my first HIM on very little training. I did about 140km/week on the bike, a tiny amount of swimming (as in one or two sessions a week for less than 2 months) and I was running 3 times a week, peaking at about 30km/week. I considered myself very underprepared but I still managed to finish mid pack in 5:50.
I'm sure I would have been significantly quicker if I'd been doing much more volume but this was enough to complete it reasonably comfortably and in a time I was quite happy with.
It's all relative.
Quote Reply
Re: Running tips [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a 5:30 on inconsistent 20-30 mpw, 9-11 hours/week.
4:25 on consistent 30-35 mpw, 11-13 hours per week.
4:08 on very, very consistent 45-55mpw, 17-22 hours per week.

Best 70.3 run was 1:22 off of an injury having only run over 10 miles once the previous 3 months, and that was a open 1/2 marathon race where I set my all time PR of 1:17.

Consistency and volume trump quality until you've reached 60-70mpw where you need more quality to continue improvements. Elite runner do a lot of quality, since they've already maxed out their weekly mileage and can handle more training load without their run mechanics falling apart and getting injured.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running tips [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So in conclusion to the OPs question can we say that his proposal is not over the top but he could get away with less or thrive on more depending on his ambitions, existing fitness and any biomechanical issues?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This link is exactly what I have been searching for! Thanks a million!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to complete a half IM next year, competing only against myself and a friend. A lot of reinforcement of ideas in this thread that I can really appreciate. Those posts re: increased weekly mileage translating to not needing to walk / improved times are very motivating, so cheers for that.

I need to get off my ass and do long bike rides on weekend and more regular running. That December challenge 100/100 looks like a secret weapon.

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Nov 24, 15 11:26
Quote Reply