Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How early do you arrive to an IM
Quote | Reply
Let's say you are doing an IM on a Sunday and you have to fly to the race.. what day do you all normally fly in? Obviously depends on when packet pickup is but lets say they allow pickup on Thursday and Friday.. What day do you all like to fly in? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: How early do you arrive to an IM [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really, it depends. For example, I did Tahoe this year and learned from training up there that the later I got up there, the less altitude would affect me. So, I arrived early evening Friday.

Also, work has something to do with it. I'd love to arrive at a race site on a Monday or Tuesday and ride the course, and spend some time in the water and run course. But, it would be hard to do that with work obligations. Thursday would be the earliest I would be able to arrive and that is my plan for Arizona next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my family in tow so I want to make sure they're happy before I get all selfish near race day.

I'll arrive on Wednesday. Full family day Thursday. Friday check in and I'm riding that day. Saturday bike and bag drops and a swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to arrive Monday for a Sunday race. Now, Wednesday works well for me, and the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umm, depends on timezones for local and race destinations vs schedule availability....Ideally, the race is in my back yard, and I can walk to swim start. Opposite is flying to a location across the globe. ambiguous answer to an ambiguous question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thursday for me
Quote Reply
Re: How early do you arrive to an IM [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the race and whether it's a regional race or "destination" race. For a more local event, I'll show up Friday if within. IF flying, Thursday. Farther race, Sat or Sunday before

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quit my job and spent a month in boulder for my first im it was amazing lmao
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Nov 22, 15 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I know the course, I like early Friday. Otherwise Thursday.
Depends on flight time, bike transport too.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd fly in Wednesday or Thursday--really depends on vacation time I can work out with work. Arrive, get some food, build up my bike & set out my clothes in the drawers/closet are the next things. Then maybe get out for a short ride or run, unless its Kona, I like to swim first then--because I miss the water being land locked. Something about Kailua Bay that is wonderful just looking at all the sea life. I think the important thing is to not scramble with so little time that you're rushing to get everything done. Too much stress.

You'll want some down time & 3-4 days is plenty. It does help time-wise to have a hotel or boarding close to the race venue just so you're less likely to be rushed with extra travel on a daily basis. Unless you enjoy being that remote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my A race IM, I like to get there on Monday or Tuesday. I take the week off work, last minute stuff and packing on the weekend, travel/arrive on Monday. Then I like to chill and watch the host town fill up with people all scurrying around.

That said, I have a slightly different taper than most people. Sure, I'm MOP at the best of times, but it works for me. I take the entire week before IM, completely off training. I rest with my feet up, read, watch TV, keep my feet off the ground except walking to supermarkets or getting massages. By race day I am itching to get going. No race nerves, no apprehension, just eagerness to show what I can do. I can't do much, but it's still the best I can do.

If I get to a race venue after Thursday lunchtime, I get wound tighter than a $2 watch.

Your mileage may vary.....

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm crossing a lot of time zones - Wednesday. Otherwise Thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Louisville twice(Sunday race), both times I arrived approx noon on Friday.

ETA: just noticed you said fly....I drove to LoiUisville both times.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Nov 22, 15 20:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a few different things, several years ago I did St. Anthony's and I flew in the day before the race, most of the IM races I have done I've arrived on Thursday (Wed. for a Saturday race) - which depending on flights, etc let's me knock out packet pick-up shortly after arriving or first thing on Thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as late as possible. I have no desire to "soak up the atmosphere" - I just want to get in, race and get out. So far I'm yet to discover the downside of doing that.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: How early do you arrive to an IM [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
as late as possible. I have no desire to "soak up the atmosphere" - I just want to get in, race and get out. So far I'm yet to discover the downside of doing that.

And really....what "atmosphere" is there to soak in? A bunch of the same stuff you see at any expo that takes you all of 15 minutes to walk through. OK, what do you do with the rest of your day(s)?

I went up to Madison last year on Thursday, mostly so I could beat the lines at registration. Next year I am going up Friday. Zero need to go up any earlier, IMO.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to also remember, if you are flying with your bike; it is possible that your bike may not arrive at the same time you do. A friend's bike was delayed and he had to get special permission to bring the bike in day of race.

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two years ago I arrived at noon on Saturday for a Sunday IM. I had a ticket to see Tool on the Friday night and wasn't going to miss that. Brilliant weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't there a story about a forum member partying with rockstars in Vegas on the Saturday night before flying back to race Arizona on the Sunday? That's cutting it a little closer than I'd like, depending on who the rockstars are.
Quote Reply
Re: How early do you arrive to an IM [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, hopefully not true :)
Quote Reply
Re: How early do you arrive to an IM [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Funny, hopefully not true :)
lmao it's true i quit and had a great time in boulder for a month then topped it off with an im
Quote Reply