Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If not too personal tell me about your Power Days ie 20 minuters at 275 NP or how you break those days down.
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean NP for the whole ride or for the intervals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the intervals.

also do you do low cadence i.e. 60 for strength building or that bs?
Are you a coach ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott on your daily lunch run, if you only have time for say 10-20 min run, would you still go out? I see a lot of people passing it up as "not worth it", but if you get 5x15-20 min spread over 2 weeks, that's still an extra 80-90 min of running over that time. (Or maybe you have the flexibility to make sure that it is always 30 min minimum).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally have the flexibility to run however long I want, but occasionally I have people not respect my standing lunch meeting, or most commonly my standing lunch meeting get's sandwiched between important meetings, I will get out and run on those days whatever I can.

Sometimes that means 10 to 20 minutes, other days it means that if I wait until 2 pm I can fit in the full planned run - all depends on the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The intervals and power output really vary and it depends on what I am trying to accomplish and where I am in relation to the goal race. Before IMAZ, I did a lot of riding at 260 watts, with recovery from those efforts being 230 watts (roughly 85 and 75 percent of FTP).

If I'm not looking to do race specific work, my wattage is generally best effort - meaning the best I can sustain for the full duration of the planned mainset. For example I did a 20'-15'-10'-5' mainset where I intended to increase the effort on each rep (spinervals 22.0 if you are curious), I think I did something like 295-305-315-330.

I don't focus on cadence, I'm 100% self selected cadence.

I do coach a handful of people.
Last edited by: sentania: Nov 25, 15 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I generally have the flexibility to run however long I want, but occasionally I have people not respect my standing lunch meeting, or most commonly my standing lunch meeting get's sandwiched between important meetings, I will get out and run on those days whatever I can.

Sometimes that means 10 to 20 minutes, other days it means that if I wait until 2 pm I can fit in the full planned run - all depends on the day.

Yes, I have the standing lunch meeting with myself locked in for 52 weeks a year, but I have set mine for 1-2 pm. I do half my work with east coast and half with west coast guys, so the 1 pm break allows for more overlap at noon with 9 am west coast. The added benefit if I don't need to overlap with west coast and if others locally are gone for lunch, then it might result in a longer option if I need/want it. On run days, 20-30 min window may be just enough, but on swim days, I prefer more time (10 min run each way to the pool, 5 min transition time, 30 min hard swim, 10 min commute back, change done in 60 min door to door). If I can have 80 min, the swim can be more substantial, or I can tack on to the run commute and add in more strides or hit the treadmill after the pool for 10 min of hard hill work.
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it you guys dont shower after your lunch workouts. I usually book 1.5 hours for my lunch workouts (typically swims) so I can shower after. Of course this limits my lunch workouts to 1-2 a week. I could not imagine running even 20-30 mins in the summer and coming back to work without showering. Not to mention my post workout "burn" would soak my work clothes with sweat!
Quote Reply
Re: Sentania (Scott Bowe) first amateur at IMAZ [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a shower at work? Or you're going to gym for a treadmill run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My work has a fitness center and locker room, so I'm fortunate to be able to run at lunch both outdoors and on a treadmill, and shower afterwards.
Last edited by: sentania: Nov 25, 15 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is ideal and I'm super jealous!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is all very reasonable, but it's also falling into the category of "insisting on my limitations", something that guys like Scott don't do.

if it's important, you'll find a way.

holograham wrote:
I take it you guys dont shower after your lunch workouts. I usually book 1.5 hours for my lunch workouts (typically swims) so I can shower after. Of course this limits my lunch workouts to 1-2 a week. I could not imagine running even 20-30 mins in the summer and coming back to work without showering. Not to mention my post workout "burn" would soak my work clothes with sweat!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
Do you have a shower at work? Or you're going to gym for a treadmill run?

If I swim at lunch and run back no shower after the jog back, if I bike commute to work in under 10C temp no need to shower, because I am going to workout at lunch time a few hours later, if I run at lunch, I need 5 minutes to change, shower change back into clothes for work and get back in the office (usually this shower will entail water only if it is not my last shower of the day), if I am offsite, or business towel, I have a hand towel to wet and wipe down with. When you work out that many times per day, no need to shower after each workout and being a low sweater, I am generally bone dry after most workouts anyway, unless it is pretty hard or in the midst of summer heat. Sometimes in the summer heat, after the lunch swim, I shower and don't towel off and run back to the office all wet and am almost dry by the time I come back through the door and then I can just wipe down the rest. I know it sounds "bad" but really, not too bad and good enough to put a suit on and look the part when needed.

Sorry for hijacking Sentania's thread with some ideas for the guys on here but as Eric Reid said, you have to find a way to make it happen which clearly Scott does and this is not only applicable to Scott's level of performance but the rest of us "underneath that level". Most of the reason why people find IM training to overbearing is that they won't make all these opportunities that are available to everyone. It just requires a bit of figuring out and streamlining logistics/planning/daily execution. A lot of the success for guys at Scott's level is essentially making it happen daily and coming up with a repeatable system, which he seems to have down solid. Eric Reid was also the master of that (when I last spoke to him on this topic, I assume he still is).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No thank you for the reply. I am definitely looking for ways to optimize my training. This is great info though mostly not applicable to me since I am a heavy sweater and a shower is 100% needed after any workout I perform. I wasn't making excuses as the earlier poster said. I am new to ironman and enjoy it however it's a huge time sink. I'm an engineer by trade and enjoy the puzzle of figuring out optimal training with time management with friends/family/work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If heavy sweater, then maybe the quick no soap shower ending with cold water to quickly reduce the sweat rate. If now shower available, then we're going to need to find a way to strategically store buckets of cold water outside your building, that you pour over your head and then quickly towel down before going back in and changing (pink for optional). Heavy sweater + no shower + humid climate makes it tough. In my case, no sweater, cold climate 9 months per year, and showers at work, so that changes the picture in a big way. Having said that, I once refused a job offer because they did not have a shower at the office or nearby. I worked only at one company in 27 years of working that did not have a shower and it was a real pain in the ass for the lifestyle I want to lead. I had to take out a gym membership across the street exclusively for their shower and that entailed 20 min of overhead getting there and back. So let's say there was a lot of "wipe down" no shower after bike commutes and I used to magically organize meetings in the food court across from the gym to amortize my own travel there for workouts by moving the entire meeting contingent next to the gym (people are quite happy to have the odd meeting in a casual environment). As Eric was alluding to "whatever it takes". After a while I even convinced some of them to take out gym memberships when they saw where I was going after the meeting and then cut a deal with the gym manager to give my colleagues discounts. Or end the bike commute early and go to the gym and use the treadmill and shower and then put on a suit and walk over. Also rented a permanent locker at the gym to streamline logistics. I think part of the fun is figuring out how to pull it all off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't bike commute regularly any more, but I did do it for awhile, with a 21 mile each way hard riding round trip.

I did it without a shower, wasn't that hard logistically. I rode as hard as I could most of the time, which was hard enough to totally drench my clothes on every commute ride.

Key things:
- Clean clothes (obviously)
- I often showered BEFORE starting the ride commute. Without the bacteria buildup, there's no stank. My collagues never even noticed I was bike commuting.
- Arrive early enough not to start sweaty. It helps to soft pedal the last 5-10 mins to cool down.
- I just used a normal towel and did a mini birdbath in the sink to rinse my head/neck. Deodorant optional but did make me feel less worried about any residual odors.

I never actually enjoyed bike commute riding because I felt it was slowly sucking the joy out of cycling for me, to have to contend with rush hour traffic day in day out, so I stopped doing it, but the sweating logistics were not a problem for me with the above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if you're joking (I'm relatively new to this forum) but you my OCD-ness resonates with this type of thinking.
Quote Reply

Prev Next