Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at getting the Forerunner 920xt for the holidays and am looking at potentially also getting the HRM Swim strap to go with it.

I have one of those chests where the ribs go back inwards , forming what I would call a cave, at the centre of my chest. What it means is that on regular HR straps, there's a small gap between the monitor and the centre of my chest. For the most part, it means that regular straps are either too tight or too loose and it falls down running. Shouldn't be an issue for the HRM tri piece (actually I'm looking forward to the small bit of stickiness on it for running). But for the HRM Swim strap, I worry that the gap might cause the whole thing to come off in the pool.

I don't want to buy what would be an expensive HR strap only to have it fall off in the pool. Anyone else have this issue?

_____
Update: Finally decided to pull the plug on a 920xt and got the tri bundle. I've gone now for 2 swims with the HRM Swim strap, and have had only a few minor issues. For the most part the strap works well, though feels different than most other HR straps as the elastic part takes up less space (very little in fact). I've felt the strap "move down" my chest only a few times, though in all cases this was fine as I was able to finish the interval set and wait for the rest break before it became a problem. Most of it was fixed by simply tightening the strap or making a minor adjustment on where it was placed on my chest.

So far haven't yet used the HRM tri, but just from the construction looks like it shouldn't have any problems.
Last edited by: timbasile: Jan 4, 16 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak directly to your issue, but I have heard some people get good readings with the HRM piece on their back. Hadn't thought about it before, but this might be a solution for your issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a wrist-based optical HRM (ex. MIO link). It's close enough to the Garmin that it will read even underwater.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a pectus excovatum dude as well, also have difficulties with HRM straps. Are the wrist based things ready yet for consistent readings?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Experiences seem to vary. The MIO has been great for me; as accurate as my strap, and much more comfortable. Being able to use it for swims (and complete tris) was a bonus. Check out the DC Rainmaker review.

I will say that the signal is weak. When biking with my phone (instead of a Garmin) in my jersey pocket, it has to be in the pocket on the same side as the MIO to get a consistent reading (doesn't read well if in the center pocket and blocked by my body). Sitting on the same strap as the Garmin it works great (even underwater).

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling tends to be ok for me, as is anything where I wear a snug fitting top (like at a race). Running only seems to be an issue if I'm wearing a running top. And by "issue" I mean mild inconvenience.

So I guess that's a no then on the Garmin HRM swim? I might well try the Mio link if I get stuck, but what I really want is a "925xt" (make it happen Garmin!)

Anyone else with this issue tried the HRM Swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump in case anyone else out there.

Anyone else with this issue tried the HRM Swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Try a wrist-based optical HRM (ex. MIO link). It's close enough to the Garmin that it will read even underwater.

I see you just use the little pod. Interesting. Has it ever fallen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you get the strap and would it work with a 920?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I see you just use the little pod. Interesting. Has it ever fallen?

I use some of the silicone hair bands to keep it from moving or falling off (2 on each side just for redundancy). I've never had them break.

I had to buy them in a little pouch of 250, PM me and I'd be glad to send you a handful.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Where did you get the strap and would it work with a 920?

That's someone else's watch from another thread ( http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...dification_P5487073/ ). I'm using a vivoactive (see above post). You can just use the existing strap and add some retaining bands for the pod.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh I see! Clever.

Thanks for the offer on the bands, but living with three members of the opposite sex, I usually have no problems finding those around the house, on the floor, in my drawers, in the shower drain, in my cereal bowl, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have another question... I can see the HR while swimming (from Mio), but not in the workout file. How does one fix that?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin HRM Swim & Caved/Barrel Chest [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this same problem with my Vivoactive. Garmin built the software back before they had a swimming HR strap and they don't have HR as a data field option for swimming (at least on the Vivoactive). I'm hoping they do a software update to fix this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same build as you. I have had no problems with HRM's ever. Just got the 920xt and have NOT had a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: Finally decided to pull the plug on a 920xt and got the tri bundle. I've gone now for 2 swims with the HRM Swim strap, and have had only a few minor issues. For the most part the strap works well, though feels different than most other HR straps as the elastic part takes up less space (very little in fact). I've felt the strap "move down" my chest only a few times, though in all cases this was fine as I was able to finish the interval set and wait for the rest break before it became a problem. Most of it was fixed by simply tightening the strap or making a minor adjustment on where it was placed on my chest.

So far haven't yet used the HRM tri, but just from the construction looks like it shouldn't have any problems.
Quote Reply