Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went Asics Nimbus and new Gely's after my achilles injury. Did PRP and rehab for 6 months after the Newton debacle. Tried nearly all the shoes and did also like the Brooks Launch for a lighter shoe but the Nimbus was a little easier on my achilles for some reason. The low heal to toe drop on the hoka's didn't do me any favors (and run coach did not recommend given low heal to toe drop). Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 8-10mm drop with the green spenco inserts, probably making it 13-15mm drop. No more Achilles issues. Eccentric calf exercises too with lots of rolling on the pvc pipe, but you probably already know that.
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep,

Tried the low drop heel fad as I thought I would be up for it as a fore-foot runner.....
Big mistake for an older guy....took me out for one year of racing..

Back to an 8-12 mm drop for training and race in 4-8 mm drop shoes. Great season this year without any injuries also thanks to rollers and massages..

So screw that fad as I'd rather race healthy.

jjh wrote:
I use a 8-10mm drop with the green spenco inserts, probably making it 13-15mm drop. No more Achilles issues. Eccentric calf exercises too with lots of rolling on the pvc pipe, but you probably already know that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just curious as I'm looking for answers. do your Achilles issues spread up your leg to upper IT band/hip area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger (original and version 2), if you can find them. They have the softest heel counter and, even though they don't have an achilles notch, they are so soft that they will not irritate your achilles tendon.

My achilles tendonitis went away instantly as soon as I got a pair of shoes that didn't put a lot of pressure on the achilles tendon.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No...all my issues are lower leg...Achilles and calf. As an update I have been slowly improving with weekly EPAT sessions, lots of eccentrics, and rolling/stretching. Up to ~24 miles a week (all easy) with 7 mile "long" run. No speedwork yet, no hills yet. Hoping to add some fast finish runs next month and if nothing snaps then speedwork in Jan.
Quote Reply
Re: best running shoes for Achilles issues? [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That post was fantastic Rob. There are a lot of (good) youtube videos that propose that its not the runner that's the problem, its how you are running. However, inserts / different runners is one of the first things i did to fix my own problems.

I must admit though that I changed my foot strike (away from heel) after developing plantar fasciitus (or however you spell it). All better now. losing weight was also a help. less weight, less force hitting the ground, less stress on your foot and so on. best way to describe losing weight as a cure for X issue is to pretend your hitting a tree with a baseball bat, hard. that stinging pain in your hands right? less force and no pain.

I admit though that I had to do alot of things (lose weight, change foot strike, use ice packs, throw out painful footwear, get that little roller for morning foot rolling xD etc etc) to fully recover. I have to admit i did anything and everything to recover. strength exercises, core exercises, changed diet, you name it i did it. Im only starting out in this sport and i can't afford to keep a long term injury.

Better then my cousin though, he got a foot injury 2 years ago and just decided to live with it. didnt go to dr, didnt do any research, nothing. I have not seen him run since. what a moron.

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Nov 25, 15 13:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next