Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding IM course on trainer
Quote | Reply
I have searched a bit and can't seem to find the exact answer I'm looking for, but I apologize if I didn't look hard enough.

I have a powertap and a simple, non-smart trainer. What I'd like to do is ride IM and 70.3 courses (with video of the course) using my trainer with my power meter (and avoid buying a CompuTrainer or something else expensive). It seems that I can upload workouts from BestBikeSplit to TrainerRoad, but then wouldn't have video of the course? If I use the CycleOps VirtualTraining service, do I get video of the course connected with my power meter? Other options?

Any insights appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding IM course on trainer [jklingensmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I don't know of a video solution, but the Best Bike Split - TrainerRoad route is great for building the workout to simulate the course. As long as you have a gps file from the course you want, you can drop it into BBS and export for TrainerRoad. Then using our Workout Creator (more info on the Workout Creator), you'll drop the BBS file into it, and you now have the course with power targets based upon the optimal power output for your FTP around the various climbs and descents on the course.

If you can find a video of the course, you can drop that into the workout as well simply for the visual effect, but unfortunately it won't sync exactly with the workout.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racermate used to have a pretty decent sized catalog of Ironman course videos through their Real Course Video (RCV) product. I don't know if they are all still available since they ported things over their new RM1 software.

The idea though is that you'd get one of their course videos for $40 a pop (or ideally from a cheaper source), and then once more unless they've changed something you used to be able to just grab the raw video file off of the DVD and play it back without running their software to control the resistance. You'd then just grab anyone's .tcx file from the race you're looking for and convert it over to TR via you preferred means. In theory, hit play on both and you're off.

In practice honestly this is all a pretty big waste of time and effort. You'll hear a lot of people lauding the benefits of their CompuTrainer or other smart trainer along with all the new software like Zwift, TrainerRoad and the others. One thing you almost never hear is people talking about how instrumental pre-riding courses were to their training.

Here's the rub, riding the video version of a course has bears little resemblance to riding the actual course and is generally painstakingly boring. If you are going to be spending a lot of your time on a trainer you are most often far better off following a more specific higher intensity training plan that is going to do a lot more to keep you engaged and make a lot better use of your time than slowly grinding away staring at the generic and generally uninspiring roads that make up the majority of Ironman courses.

I wish someone had saved me from wasting a small fortune on RCVs year ago when they were double the cost. They proved to be about as useful and engaging as coasters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
the Best Bike Split - TrainerRoad route is great for building the workout to simulate the course

I've done this several times. I usually just queue up a Netflix series to go with it. But the visual part of the training ride is not as important to me.
Quote Reply