Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Rome? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of Half Ironman (not M brand) distance races mostly in southern Spain between April and May , where temperatures are around 20-24C (68-75F) .
Here you have the 2015 unofficial race calendar http://www.triatlonchannel.com/calendario/

Apart form that , there is IM Lanzarote , end of May, around 4h flight from Germany or UK.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
be prepared to race in the oven in August in Rome!
that can be brutal. never seen less than 30deg in August in Rome
This is for the 70.3

we don't have yet any details on the courses, let's wait and see. I am very skeptical on road quality for Civitavecchia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
I think you are overestimating the demand for a spring IM in Europe Dev. April sea temps in Civitavecchia is 59, 65 in may (avg). Theres a reason European triathletes go across the world for races in this time slot, the weather is just much better. Also bear in mind there are no tune up /prep local races for Europeans to do before IMs at this time of the year.

I was thinking more along the lines of an IM on the actual continent around the same time of IM Texas in mid May. Here in North America, we probably have a large percent of racers going to race that event from fairly crappy winter climates, so I was just assuming there might be pent up demand in Europe to race early but not have to fly all the way to Lanzarote (then again, most Europeans from Northern Europe would fly to this event anyway rather than 2 day drive over the Alps and across half of Italy, so you are likely correct.

In any case, this sounds like a nice venue based on some past experience in the area albeit a couple of decades ago. Anyone know if there is a pro race at this, or age grouper only. I assume age grouper only since Mallorca and Barcelona have pro fields a few weeks before.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always have a lot of respect for people who are able to target these early season races. Perhaps I am writing too much from a personal perspective as it would be a nightmare scenario for me. March/April/May are prime outdoor riding months for me. You're going to have to school me on the difference of climates in the continental US, perhaps there is a bit more of a discrepancy in warm/cold climates in the US as opposed to Northern Europe which generally is just miserable. What's winter like in SoCal/Texas/NM/Arizona (I understand AZ is also elevation dependant?). Also, Jaimev, good point on the Spanish races, I did not realize you guys raced so early. Still, for most of Europe these would already be destination races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
I always have a lot of respect for people who are able to target these early season races. Perhaps I am writing too much from a personal perspective as it would be a nightmare scenario for me. March/April/May are prime outdoor riding months for me. You're going to have to school me on the difference of climates in the continental US, perhaps there is a bit more of a discrepancy in warm/cold climates in the US as opposed to Northern Europe which generally is just miserable. What's winter like in SoCal/Texas/NM/Arizona (I understand AZ is also elevation dependant?). Also, Jaimev, good point on the Spanish races, I did not realize you guys raced so early. Still, for most of Europe these would already be destination races.

I think in North America we have 2 options in the winter. Those who have snow and ice and are trapped indoors for months on end and the only thing that keeps us motivated with all the indoor stuff is to get out to a spring race. We have a ton of Canadians and Northern US guys itching to race further south after being trapped indoors. Then you have the bottom half of the continent who can do proper training, but keep in mind that they too don't have a lot of daylight on weekdays and often stuck on trainer. Darkness is an issue thru the winter.

I THINK in Europe you probably have some of the same, but not as much of the snow and ice crew (confined to Nordic and Scotland).

On a personal level, I raced IM South Africa this year in March on only trainer miles except for 4 rides, 2 in Taiwan (3 hours and 5 hours in Jan) and 2 in California in Mar (1:45 each). We do have the opp to XC ski, so my fitness was high and my race in South Africa was probably my best race of the year. My last run on the weekend before IM South Africa was done in minus 15C after 60 min on the trainer at 95% FTP. By the way, all the guys who beat me in South Africa were Germans and Brits and one American (5 Germans, 5 Brits), so they are getting pretty fast early in the year in crappy climate. My buddy from the US was from new San Francisco and riding half and half computrainer and outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Tampa, FL and we do not have winter. October through April are the best months to ride and run outdoors. The summer is just plain miserable for running, especially for attempting long runs. So the best time of the year to race an IM on proper training is the Spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:

Think of the continental US like Europe. Now imagine winter in Stockholm compared to winter somewhere like Barcelona. That's similar to winter in the northern US compared to winter in SoCal or the Gulf Coast. It could be -20 degrees Fahrenheit in northern Minnesota and 80 degrees in southern Texas on the same day in February.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
August in Rome is boiling!
I would never go there to race in that time of year. It's difficult to walk (temp and humudity, no air) around the city.
I understand that August is goof for organizers since the feragosto is on, and the whole IT is on vacation, but to run anything than a good training....no thanks :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Rome? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

70.3 in Roma Aug 20th
140.6 in Citavechia Oct 16th.

Citavechia is along the coast probably only 80K or so from Rome. I raced in the Citavechia+Lago di Bracchiano aread NW of Rome way back in 1995. Region is awesome. Looking forward to hearing the course details and if it will be a swim in the Mediterranean or in Lake Bracchiano...course could have a lot of vertical via rollers

http://www.ilsole24ore.com/...RIB&refresh_ce=1

For those like me who can't read Italian, here's the google translate:

And three. In 2016 the races of the Ironman circuit in Italy will be three. Two 70.3, two half Ironman, and - unbelievable but true - for the first time in the peninsula a full distance Ironman circuit in Civitavecchia. June 12 is expected to Pescara Ironman 70.3 Italy, an issue now consolidated in the beautiful scenery of the seaside town of Abruzzo. At this stage next year, they added two more: the Ironman 70.3 Rome, scheduled on the calendar on August 20.

And on October 16 the Ironman Italy to Civitavecchia, the rectory full distance, mirage for all triathletes, athletes and not: 3.8 km swim, 180 km bike trail and without the fateful, tough, marathon 42,195 meters. Throughout the Italian movement of the triple is a good injection of confidence, a sign that the discipline is growing. And a sign that Italy for foreign triathletes is a dream destination for the race and for tourism ...

The two new pieces are added Ironman 70.3 Italy Pescara were presented today in Rome, in the majestic scenery of EUR, between white marble and rationalist architecture. Journalists, sports and triathlon enthusiasts have populated the elegant dining Quaroni for the press conference that preceded the Rome Swim Event, a swimming race uncompetitive than 1 km, turning the waters of the lake Eur cleaned (which will host the part of the new Rome 70.3). Also present were the CEO Ironman Europe-Middle East-South Africa, Thomas Dieckhoff, the CEO of EUR, Gianluca Lo Presti, president of the Italian Federation Triathlon (Fitri), Luigi Bianchi, the deputy mayor of Civitavecchia, Daniela Lucernoni, Vice President of the Lazio region, Massimiliano Emery.

After a brief history of the EUR district, Lo Presti thanked Ironman for funding the work of sanitation of the lake, which is a key step in the march towards the Olympic Games in Rome in 2024.

Dieckhoff said he was proud of having sent back the lake water to the citizens of Rome and to the city of "great beauty". The CEO Ironman said he lived for some time in Rome and have always thought that the lake Eur lend itself particularly well to competitive sports. A dream that came true. The lake is suitable for swimming and the water is clean ("more of the sea", say the organizers), in the coming months technicians will try to improve the color. Excited about the possibilities offered by the lake "cleaned up," the president Fitri Luigi Bianchi, who focused just on new possible uses of the pond, in the light of the intervention of sanitation not only Ironman, but also Olympic triathlon in the near future for Rome, inevitable passage for many triathletes in the hard path towards the dream of long distance.

The role played by the Italian Federation Triathlon - added Dieckhoff - is crucial, because it is from there that comes the future participants in Ironman races. It is no coincidence that in recent years the interest in the triathlon has grown exponentially, especially in Italy; why the beautiful country needs more Ironman competitions. In short, the movement there.

At this point, Dieckhoff did excite the audience, making official the two new races: the Ironman 70.3 in Rome on August 20th - which will involve the neighborhood called for testing Swim, the route of the historic Olympic 60s for Bike path, and (the icing on the cake), the historic heart of Rome for what will be "one of the most beautiful trails Run of history" - and the "full" Ironman Oct. 16 in Civitavecchia, between the Old Port, the Maremma and the the historic city center.

Appointment in Pescara, Rome and Civitavecchia for the Ironman in 2016. Start to work out.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply

Prev Next