Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swi rolling starts
Quote | Reply
I'm curious how the swim rolling starts at events like IM FL are working. How long is it taking to get everyone in the water, how many groups etc. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: swi rolling starts [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not experienced it yet ( will next week at IM Maryland Redux) but I have heard very good things from friends who did muskoka. I think they get everyone in the water in about 20 min or less so it does not impact the midnight cutoff all that much.

From all I have heard tho, it makes for a much nicer swim, easier spacing in water to start, corners and turns are less crowded and an overall better swim(of course every one needs to seed somewhat close to your time.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant speak to Florida but overall the Rolling Start when well at Boulder last year. I was in the water within minutes as I am a sub 1:10 swimmer but I don't think it took too long to get everyone in. I can say up front I couldn't tell the difference between a mass start or rolling. Still got beat up pretty bad and was still crowded. Maybe further back it wasn't as cut throat.

"Before you make it to the finish, You have to make it to the start."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
I'm curious how the swim rolling starts at events like IM FL are working. How long is it taking to get everyone in the water, how many groups etc. Thanks.

From The IMFL FAQ page:

What type of swim start is IRONMAN Florida?[/url]The swim is a mass start. Athletes will start on the beach.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz3o0RTapQe

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: swi rolling starts [cmuler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think IM Choo took roughly 30-35 minutes to get all swimmers in the water from the 1st pro to the last AG athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLOU does this off a dock into the Ohio River. Everybody is in the water in 30 to 40 minutes tops.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: swi rolling starts [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
ONDave wrote:

From The IMFL FAQ page:

What type of swim start is IRONMAN Florida?[/url]The swim is a mass start. Athletes will start on the beach.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz3o0RTapQe

It's changed this year:
IRONMAN Florida will feature a “Rolling Start” based on self- seeding. Athletes will self-seed into swim start corrals based upon their estimated swim finish time.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz3o0fHtU5Q
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMLT, I think there was like 5-6 "groups." They had people carrying signs, like under 1:00 swim, 1-1:20, etc. The first sign group, was behind the timing mat, nearest the water. Everyone was stuck between two gates on right and left...maybe 10-15 people across at most. And you self seeded yourself behind the sign you thought you swam. Of course, after a while, it became a big cluster of people but more or less, you were in the right place.

Then around I think 6:40, they start letting you in, and you start going. I think everyone was in before 7 AM.

As a BOP, I thought it worked out well. It was "safer" for me as all the fast people were in front of me, and I can take my time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a rolling start at IMCdA in 2014, and loved it. I seeded with the 1:10-1:15 group (went 1:13) and had pretty much a smooth swim other than the guy next to me that didn't know how to swim straight. For the most part though, if you seed properly, you don't pass many people and not too many pass you. Once they started the AG'ers after pro's got onto the 2nd lap, if memory serves correct, they had all AG'ers in the water in somewhere around 7 minutes.
Last edited by: HoustonAg: Oct 8, 15 14:55
Quote Reply