Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring tightness, hip flexor tight and tingling feet?
Quote | Reply
Over the last 3 years I've had two instance where my hamstrings get real tight, hip flexors as well, and tingling feet. It comes on out of no where and eventually goes away after a month. The last time I didn't take any time off running but this time my leg coordination seems off so I've dropped the running for a bit. I can't figure out what is triggering this. I will be honest....I don't stretch and foam roll. Is this just a case of getting more flexible and foam rolling. My guess my muscles get tight and its compressing a nerve.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring tightness, hip flexor tight and tingling feet? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about your problem but I do the door frame stretch for my hams. It's put me back in the game. You might want to see a PT

Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring tightness, hip flexor tight and tingling feet? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use the mobility wod website for my especially tight hip, quads, not so much hamstrings, etc.....

they want a subscription but you can buy just one month for a few bucks.....imo it is a very good site to get your body back in order. done by a dpt they have an area that covers body parts, injury type etc....

from what i have read the tingling part is possible nerve impingement.....maybe sciatic nerve......but i am not a health professional so maybe you need to visit doc for proper diagnosis.

nip it in the bud. sorry i could not be more specific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Over the last 3 years I've had two instance where my hamstrings get real tight, hip flexors as well, and tingling feet. It comes on out of no where and eventually goes away after a month. The last time I didn't take any time off running but this time my leg coordination seems off so I've dropped the running for a bit. I can't figure out what is triggering this. I will be honest....I don't stretch and foam roll. Is this just a case of getting more flexible and foam rolling. My guess my muscles get tight and its compressing a nerve.

This is what my physio says I have as well, very similar symptoms. Believe it is often called piriformis (sp?) syndrome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hip flexor tightness comes and goes, same with hamstrings, but never had tingling feet. Psoas stretches and hamstring strengthening exercises help me gain flexibility through the whole hip joint, and over time helped correct a functional leg length discrepancy. My chiropractor diagnosed and gave me the exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This problem might be originating on your back. When your feet tingle, can you lift yourself up on your tip toes without issue? A few years ago I threw my back out and the pain went down my left leg to my foot and if I tried to lift myself up on that foot, it just wouldn't react. I had no strength there.

After months of therapy, I was able to solve the issue. Hamstring stretches (a lot of this) and core strengthening (all my core, not just my lower back) were the principal solutions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look up piriformis syndrome and sciatica

GET A FOAM ROLLER!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a feeling you are not alone with both problems. While foam rolling works well, I have also used a ball on my feet (street hockey ball works well, blew out a few tennis balls trying). Rolling the ball under your feet can relieve some aspects of hamstring tightness (and calf). The tingling I was told was nerve damage from the pounding of landing on the forefoot, but that might just be a podiatrist looking for business. I will watch this thread to see if anything comes up that I can use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your piriformis might be pinching your sciatic nerve. Stretching (pigeon pose is great), foam rolling and strengthening (glutes/hamstrings) helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring tightness, hip flexor tight and tingling feet? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I have been strength training the last few weeks but I guess it seems like I need to do the stretching and foam rolling as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the last 30 years I have had numerous hamstring issues. My last PT, who was also a triathlete, told me as we age our hamstrings get weaker from under use. He recommended some stretching and hamstring weight training (stiff legged dead lifts, normal dead lifts, cleans and hamstring curls).

Stretching, I do about 6 stretching exercises (each leg) and hold them for at least 30 seconds. Foam rolling, ice and heat work as well.

So far I have done two seasons without a problem. I am not sure what specifically solved the problem, so I do it all.

For the older athletes, intense speed work puts a lot of stress on the hamstrings.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring tightness, hip flexor tight and tingling feet? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Piriformis is literally a pain-in-the-ass. It's a dull pain deep in the hip area that causes weakness.

I had a sever case where I would hurt if I sat for just a few minutes and on some days, I couldn't get out of bed. In my case, I initially thought it was just the consequence of sitting in chairs all day, resulting in a weak gluteus, non-existent hip flexors, and tight hamstrings. YMMV, but for me, I eventually tracked it down to a hip problem - my right hip joint was arthritic/weak from bad leg alignment and years of bad habits. This issue propagated to other areas, eventually resulting in the piriformis syndrome.

Rollers, etc... will provide temporary relief, but I suggest you find the source of your imbalances so you can correct them with stretching, yoga, or other PT exercises. Meanwhile, avoid running - cycle if you need to exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tightness or scar tissue at the high hamstring insertion point can compress the sciatic nerve--as one of my most recent MRIs demonstrated :-(

It's a completely different issue than piriformis syndrome.

You might want to rule out a disc herniation compressing the nerve root. It could cause all the symptoms you are describing.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi @trimac2

I was wondering if you got to the bottom of the problem? I've started with exactly the same symptoms you described about a year ago and, to be honest, was quite happy to finally find someone else have had this issue before. I've seen quite a few physiotherapists, quiropractors and even neurosurgeons with no much luck. My current physiotherapist believes this has been caused by an excessive brace of the abdominal muscles trying to protect my lumbar back, after I had a surgery (more than 10 years ago). Interestingly, all my symptoms go away when I get a massage to relax my hips and harmstrings.

Any guidance will be very much appreciated! Thanks!
Quote Reply