Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Congestion post-swim
Quote | Reply
Same pool as I used to swim but took a break for about a year. First time I get in, congestion. Shows up a few hours after. Swim, lasts a few days. Since I've been going about every other day, it means I'm stuffed up pretty much all the time. Short work trip, so I didn't swim for about three days, totally clear. Swam the next day, and BAM! I can't breath out of my nose.
Only suggestion I find on the 'net is nose clips. To pretty odd to me that it's the exact same pool I've had no problem with in the past. Am I just adapting to swimming again and I should suffer through it? Makes me want to be a marathoner again....
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've swum for about 10 years and for the first few years didn't have a problem, but in the last five years I started to notice that I was very congested and sniffy after swims and eventually started using a nose clip. It took a few weeks to adapt to breathing just using the mouth, but now I don't notice it. I suspect your system has just become more sensitive to the stuff they put in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the exact same thing every year at one of the pools that I swim at. It happens only for the few weeks after the pool has undergone annual maintenance. During that maintenance they empty the pool. When it's filled and regular swims start again, I show up and, within a few laps, end up with a massively congested nose that stays for at least a few hours. I get it only at that pool, and only after it's been cleaned. I joked to a colleague who noticed that I was stuffed up and sniffling at work that I'm not used to swimming in clean water. I haven't tried nose clips, but this feels allergy-related so I don't know if they'll help. I suffer through it and it seems to disappear after about a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nose clips. Trust me. Been through the netipot, claritan phase already with weak results. Wear the clips. It might take some time to get used to them but they will work.
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JamieJ wrote:
Nose clips. Trust me. Been through the netipot, claritan phase already with weak results. Wear the clips. It might take some time to get used to them but they will work.

Thanks so much. Finished my 3rd week of consistent swimming, which is a huge victory for me. I set a goal of 3x/week until New Years, and I am NOT giving up. (Coming back from a heart attack in July, at age 47, if you've seen my other post). I also got in a run of 3 miles this week with zero pain (herniated L5 in June too.....). Should have that back to 10 by New Years as well.

Getting clips tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a very nasty pool, it is likely not caused by the compounds in the pool. It is something else, like water going up (down?) your nasal passages. And/or some interaction with airborne pollen or other airborne irritants. Because, on occasion, I have had the same reaction just doing swim training in warm open water (in fresh water).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are correct on that. Since I have been using a nose plug my congestion has gone down a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [Soleilgod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, make sure you are always exchanging air. Do not hold your breathe while swimming.
When your face is in the water, always exhale gently at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nose clips 100% in the pool bec of the chlorine, removed them during open water swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nose clips work great for me. Pool swimming without them leaves me with a sneezefest the rest of the day. Takes some getting use to but far better than the alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jump on the treadmill for 15 minutes after the swim. Works great for me to "sweat out" the chemicals.
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I used to be the same way. Pool swims bothered me but OWS weren't a problem. I did the nose clip for a year but have since went to using a nasal saline spray right after. That seems to be really helping.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam for about a year with zero congestion. All of the sudden, congestion, sneezing, etc. after both OWS and pool.

Used saline and found that helped tremendously

Tried nose clips for two swims and no congestion, but...then switched pools because I joined a masters group. I didn't want to be "nose clip" guy at the first session so I went without. I've done 6 sessions and no congestion at the new pool. Huh.

Maybe I'm breathing differently and keeping water out of my nose. Maybe it's different chemicals. Either way, I'm glad no congestion.
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Unless you have a very nasty pool, it is likely not caused by the compounds in the pool. It is something else, like water going up (down?) your nasal passages. And/or some interaction with airborne pollen or other airborne irritants. Because, on occasion, I have had the same reaction just doing swim training in warm open water (in fresh water).
But it could be caused by chloramines (byproduct of chlorine disinfection in swimming pools) and a lack of good air circulation/purging.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started having this problem recently, as well. It's really bad after OWS. Nose clips are the only way to go. You may have to try different kinds to find the one that works for you and it will take a short period to get used to it, but it's well worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DunnRight wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

But it could be caused by chloramines (byproduct of chlorine disinfection in swimming pools) and a lack of good air circulation/purging.

Absolutely. And I am all on board that pool water typically is not healthy long term for your skin or lungs, and indoor pools probably more so. And, earlier, I also thought that my post swim workout sneezing may have been caused by something specific to pool water.

But then I had exactly the same reaction multiple times after some summer swimming sessions in a pristine N. Wisconsin lake. So, my logic says that the accute sneezing/congestion reaction is not the pool chemicals, but maybe a reaction to just water in the nasal passages and possibly some interaction with the pollen in the air at the time (my post swim sneezing is highly affected by what time of the year it is).

But, for long term health, you are totally correct, chlorine gas (a poison) and chloramines (a toxin) surely affect us.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Congestion post-swim [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobbie wrote:
I've swum for about 10 years and for the first few years didn't have a problem, but in the last five years I started to notice that I was very congested and sniffy after swims and eventually started using a nose clip. It took a few weeks to adapt to breathing just using the mouth, but now I don't notice it. I suspect your system has just become more sensitive to the stuff they put in the pool.

This. Same experience after 15 years of swimming, then last year, BAM!. Nose clips is a great solution.
Quote Reply