Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training?
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago I had the shower thought of "Why don't I do something stupidly crazy for a charity cause?". As I though of that, I came up with the idea of biking A long distance for a hemophilia fundraiser. I then looked through my options, and saw that I could choose to go east to west, or north to south on the East Coast Greenway. I chose north to south because of the lack of mountains and that it is shorter at 3018.1 miles. I have a low to medium experience with biking as I can bike 20mph for 2 hours. Right now I'm expecting the trip to take somewhere from 30 to 45 days.

Does anybody have tips for training or the trip? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training? [AuditToTheVox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is simple....ride lots and I mean lots!
Quote Reply
Re: Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training? [AuditToTheVox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell the trip itself will get you in shape. I wouldn't kill myself before then. Just get in some time and don't get hurt or burn out.
Quote Reply
Re: Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
This is simple....ride lots and I mean lots!

x2.
for what you're planning you don't need to just worry about your legs being strong enough or your lung capacity. it's also about your hands spending that much time on the handlebars. it's about your shoulders not getting tired.
oh, and your butt too. don't forget about your butt. they get sore if you ride too much too soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do know that the Greenway has not yet been completed, right?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly what another person said: the trip itself will get you in shape. I've done bike tours (alone, camping - ie, hauling my own tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc) in about 12 major trips, some of them up to two months long. You'll get in shape as you go along. The hardest thing is getting used to sitting on the saddle day in, day out. A seat-related sore can get out of control quickly and become a serious problem. Do a few rides before your trip to make sure you like your bike seat, and to test your panniers and be comfortable with how the bike handles with the extra weight (although this is another thing that you'll get used to over the trip, so you don't have to be a pro at it before you leave.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know several sections of the greenway in Maine at least are not paved but gravel at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might look into someplace like this.

Not sure how set you are on your route. These guys have routes and maps and can help you figure out the logistics of the trip.

A guy from my town was doing this in last couple of weeks and he died camping in the woods in someplace I think in GA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, I've done nothing like that so take my advice with a grain of salt ;-)

You are going to have to put in some serious miles to get in shape to click off and average of 70-80 miles a day for consecutive days over 5-6 weeks. If nothing else, you need to get comfortable riding for 5+ hours at a time, and then doing it again tomorrow. And, you need to dial in your equipment and gear choices especially since it sounds like you have not ridden enough to have a shot at guessing on that at this point.

There is also a mental component to grinding away day after day after day even if physically you are fine. It is kind of an acquired skill set to do the touring type thing where you are constantly navigating (rather than riding on familiar routes), never knowing exactly what is around the next bend, being able to deal with the inevitable bike, and body, issues that crop up, being prepared to handle all kinds of weather and terrain, etc. So, that all adds up to the fact that regardless of your physical condition, it probably would be best if you are not turning in your first ever back to back 100 mile days during your ride ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget about the 70 -80 miles a day rides before you leave.. I f you are in reasonable shape your legs will get stronger after a week or so riding.. I just returned from a 900 mile ride along the Danube River cycling on average 80 miles a day with minimum fitness.. As hyr00 said, your main concern will be your butt. Sitting on a saddle all day can lead to irritated skin and soreness where you sit.. Wear the best shorts that you have and ease off the saddle at every opportunity you have, coasting etc.. After a week the skin on my butt was getting very irritated and I bought some of this http://www.amazon.com/...e-Vary/dp/B000SI43LG It is primarily used for baby rash and such.. Butt got better after slathering this on every day before riding and before I slept.. It was a trip saver...
Quote Reply
Re: Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know that a majority of the ride will be on low capacity roads instead of gravel of paved trails. From what I've seen there's not many better choices without making detours.
Quote Reply
Re: Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. Thanks for the tips. I'm new to using panniers so I expect to make some mistakes while beginning with them. Hopefully I'll wring out all of those problems before the trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training? [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty spooky. In general I'll try to couch-surf, but I plan to bring a light hammock to hang in trees as a backup. As for the route, I'm pretty open since It's still many months out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen this blog? http://packpedal.com He probably has a few lessons/tips he could share!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding the +1. Comfort on the bike. Your butt, neck, wrists. Make sure your bike fit is dialed in. Ride a comfy saddle, good bartape, good gloves, and bring lots of chamois cream or equivalent just in case.

Riding 80 miles is a challenge if you are racing. Going slower, stopping whenever you feel like it, to eat, or take in the scenery, use a restroom, it's a piece of cake from a fitness standpoint. You aren't doing 80 miles in 3.5-4 hours. You are doing it in 8 or 10 or 12. Huge difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only tip would be to bring a friend with you.

You know drag someone along, or like Bill Bryson in "A Walk In The Woods", dredge up an old friend, put an all -points bulletin in your Christmas card this year asking people to join you.

Who knows, maybe you will be lucky enough to run into a Katz. You could then right a funny book and donate the proceeds to charity.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Planning a bike from Maine to Florda next summer. Tips for training? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i rode cross country, totally unsupported with 2 friends who had zero cycling experience in 2009. it was a great trip. we averaged 100 miles per day, over 38 days.

i highly recommend:
1) good sleeping pad
2) easy to setup, breathable tent
3) good cycling shoes/pedals
4) well ventilated helmet (honestly, once we got to the corn/bible belt, none of us wore our helmets, it was too hot and the shoulders were too wide, helmets only worn in cities/bad weather)
5) get a brooks saddle
6) get fitted professionally!!!!!!!

i can't imagine how much easier it is these days, gps, smart phones etc etc. just have a good time. knock on doors, sleep in backyards, sleep in front yards, sleep in parks. experience it.

get in some rides, mainly to get used to the hand positions. i also suggest slapping on some aero bars. you'll really appreciate the extra resting position on those long flat sections.

have fun!

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need one of these.

http://sheldonbrown.com/geomag.html.

BTW. I have a Salsa Fargo with Conti Race Kings and I love that sucker. It rolls nearly as well as my road bike and it's comfy on any road surface or on most trails.
BTW, it weighs a ton (unless you get the Ti frame, carbon fork model). No weight weanies need apply.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply