Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
You will not see a or b on this sport, read the fine print of any event you enter, especially under "Act of God" conditions. The options you are seeing in this event are about as good as it gets and above/beyond what they probably legally owe you.

In regards to the actual weather, as they say hindsight is 20/20... I think they made the right call with the area and potential for what could have been.

it is more than just the impact of the actual weather....it is potentially diverting needed resources away from areas that needed them as a result of the weather. Police, medical personnel, etc were needed elsewhere that weekend, even though the weather was not as bad as feared.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
xeon wrote:
You will not see a or b on this sport, read the fine print of any event you enter, especially under "Act of God" conditions. The options you are seeing in this event are about as good as it gets and above/beyond what they probably legally owe you.

In regards to the actual weather, as they say hindsight is 20/20... I think they made the right call with the area and potential for what could have been.

it is more than just the impact of the actual weather....it is potentially diverting needed resources away from areas that needed them as a result of the weather. Police, medical personnel, etc were needed elsewhere that weekend, even though the weather was not as bad as feared.

This. I am not *positive* about this, but my guess is what happened is that as soon as the storm in the Atlantic was upgraded to hurricane status, every municipality along the coast had emergency preparedness protocols triggered. Part of that is likely pulling any emergency personnel from extraneous "duties" and having them ready. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that the race was cancelled by the local authorities (because they were force to pull all support from police/fire/ambulance, and also likely were required by protocol to cancel permits) rather than the WTC making any call.
Last edited by: noofus: Oct 7, 15 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Superman13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is truly unfortunate that the race was delayed for two weeks due to a Hurricane which killed a number of people in South Carolina. But just like the cancellation of IM Tahoe in 2014, WTC has been more than generous given that they were under no obligation to provide you anything. Next time, read the entire fine print before you sign, and if you can't abide by it, then don't register.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
This is a great example of the self-entitlement held by triathletes today.

I simply do not understand peoples reasoning for a free race, does't anyone understand what the waiver states? Or how the refund program works?

This is a great example of the self-entitlement held by the general populace today.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Power13 wrote:
xeon wrote:

This. I am not *positive* about this, but my guess is what happened is that as soon as the storm in the Atlantic was upgraded to hurricane status, every municipality along the coast had emergency preparedness protocols triggered. Part of that is likely pulling any emergency personnel from extraneous "duties" and having them ready. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that the race was cancelled by the local authorities (because they were force to pull all support from police/fire/ambulance, and also likely were required by protocol to cancel permits) rather than the WTC making any call.

Agreed.

1. Even though weather wasn't as bad as feared, all the rain did elevate water levels on bike course. Combine that with the wind, and perhaps they would have had issues sending athletes out on bike course (can't say for certain). Further, swim would have been canceled. At that point, do you have just a run? Well, I'd bet a decent part of the run course was probably under a bit of water as well. Not a huge natural disaster, but certainly enough of a disruption for purposes of holding a race. This all assumes they still had access to safety personnel.

2. My take is similar to Power13: Municipality wants to cancel --> race director doesn't want to (and IM is ok with a reschedule) --> RD and municipality negotiate for new permits (pending damage review) --> agreement reached.

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is the term 'Act of God' a legal term? Since it is not possible for something to be proven as an act of god, would that also mean that the consequences of this event are not protected? Just wondering.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Correct. All race options are capped at 50 slots based on first come first serve. Athletes are supposed to send in an email asking to an entry to the new race. They will base slots on the time stamp of the email

japarker24 wrote:
summitt wrote:
If 300 people transfer to IMLOU (10% of the field), shouldn't 5 Kona slots be transferred to IMLOU. I have no idea how many will transfer but I didn't see any type of cap in the email regarding IMLOU.

They probably won't take more than 50......the same number that they will take for Florida, Arizona, etc.
In Reply To:

"Limited slots are available" No where in the communication does it say IMLOU is capped at 50. Even at 50 additional racers, they should give all the other races that are taking 50 extra people one slot each from IM Maryland's 50 slots. I know it sounds petty but transferring race participants to other races should change the Kona slot allocations.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed . . . I am actually surprised no one has pulled the information from registration yet . . . this is exactly what we all agreed to:

"I acknowledge and agree that WTC, in its sole discretion, may delay, modify, or cancel the Event for any reason, including if it believes the conditions on the race day are unsafe. In the event the Event is delayed, modified, or cancelled, including but not limited to acts of God or the elements (including without limitation, wind, rough water, rain, hail, hurricane, tornado, earthquake), acts of terrorism, fire, threatened or actual strike, labor difficulty, work stoppage, insurrection, war, public disaster, flood, unavoidable casualty, race course conditions, or any other cause beyond the control of WTC, there shall be no refund of WTC's entry fee or any other costs incurred in connection with the Event."

As a MD refugee who can't make the make-up date (was already registered for B2B) I'll be taking a 2016 race at half price and think that is more than generous.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:
MadisonMan wrote:
Keep in mind that in 2012, they cancelled the NYC Marathon. Yes, they allowed you to defer to one of the next 3 years, but you had to pay FULL price. I think this is generous.

Beat me to it.

Good times that was.

There was an option for a full refund, which I took, when Sandy canceled that race. I was able to find a replacement marathon the same weekend, but lost my $200+ hotel room in Brooklyn.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
xeon wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is the term 'Act of God' a legal term? Since it is not possible for something to be proven as an act of god, would that also mean that the consequences of this event are not protected? Just wondering.

Good point. Maybe the op is an atheist?? Or better yet a conspiracy theorist and the government causes hurricanes to keep the man down
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Roadhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree that the options are good....just wish for the "other" 2015 races we didn't have to wait until Oct 19 to HOPE to get into another race this year...50 slots are gonna go quick!

Shoot, if they could figure out everyone who is taking a transfer option this week they could open MD up for a day or two for those they can make the new date that got shut out after it filled. I know a few....

but I imagine they are quite busy with the WC's going on this weekend....

fingers crossed to get one of the 50 slots to another 2015 race!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
xeon wrote:

yes 'Act of God' is a common legal term for contracts. Sometimes the words 'Force Majuere' is used instead or in conjunction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems "Act of God" describes any natural disaster. Why not use that terminology then rather than the fishy deity-based reasoning?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
It seems "Act of God" describes any natural disaster. Why not use that terminology then rather than the fishy deity-based reasoning?

It's one of those "it's always been that way"...the basis of many legal systems was religious and many carry overs still exist today
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland Options (now up on IM MD website) [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious how many they'll be transferring to IM LOU. I'll be competing this weekend (signed up last year for LOU) and was glad that they are providing alternatives to everyone. Just makes me a little nervous though since our swim time isn't going to start any sooner and the midnight time limit still stands. Should make for an interesting day though and I look forward to having some of you join us!

edit: quotes got all messed up...removed them
Last edited by: racehd: Oct 7, 15 8:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next