Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona drug testing 2015 (age Groupers) [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking about 15% are "dopers" and looking over the WADA list:
Marijuana is on the list.
Oxycodone is on the list
Morphine
(Other morphine based pain killers- not sure about hydrocodone)
Glucocorticoids are one the list (ie.prednisone- I think).

I am not sure but what is that.... 15% of all prescriptions.
Triathletes go to the doctor. Sometimes they get prescriptions!

Let's just say:
You smoke pot when you are on vacation in Colorado. Later that year you get a kidney stone. The doctor gives you a pain killer (most are morphine based) and prednisone pills. You stopped taking both pills a couple of days after you pass the stone.

You don't apply for a TUE for any of this stuff.
"These drugs might help someone, sometime- but that is not why I took them."

You are asked on a survey if you are a doper.
You say yes- because you read the list. (But were uncertain when and how it applies).

They don't test you because you are just an average MOP athlete.
But- if they do test- they don't notice (or care) about the prednisone, hydrocodone and marijuana that you took 6 months ago.
The testers were too busy looking for people taking anabolic steroids and epo!!! They were too busy looking for real cheaters!! They never got around to busting you.

All this is actually the way it should be.
Maybe the "problem" is not as big as we think?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona drug testing 2015 (age Groupers) [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oxycodone is on the list
Morphine //

I highly doubt that any of these are tested for in AG athletes, along with a very long list of other marginal drugs. My guess is that they go for the big 4, T, HGH, EPO, and Growth Hormone. Just do those 4 and you will get your real cheaters. Saves a lot of money in the tests too, so they can do a lot more of them. These are your "longevity" drugs, the easy ones that most can get their doctors to prescribe, and in most cases when they really don't even need them!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona drug testing 2015 (age Groupers) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Oxycodone is on the list
Morphine //

I highly doubt that any of these are tested for in AG athletes, along with a very long list of other marginal drugs. My guess is that they go for the big 4, T, HGH, EPO, and Growth Hormone. Just do those 4 and you will get your real cheaters. Saves a lot of money in the tests too, so they can do a lot more of them. These are your "longevity" drugs, the easy ones that most can get their doctors to prescribe, and in most cases when they really don't even need them!

Yeah I agree.
Hopefully the testers are looking for deliberate cheaters.
This is what they should be doing.

Still - there is this statistic out there that 15% of age group triathletes are doping.
That could be true!
And yet it might also be true that almost no-one ever gets caught!

One explanation for this is that "the list" contains so many things.
Most people have been prescribed (or used) some of these substances at some point in their lives.

Some people might even be aware of this.
And might say "yes" they have "doped".
Because technically they have.
They took prednisone and Vicodin to treat a kidney stone.
(Transpose 10,000 other common ailments and common drugs).
They didn't get a TUE.
And they aren't concerned about getting caught.
Because they probably won't.
Which all makes sense.
But they do show up on surveys as "dopers."
Creating the impression that there are lots of "dopers" out their.
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Oct 21, 15 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: Kona drug testing 2015 (age Groupers) [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that you can't isolate for testing, IE a legacy athlet in kona gets pulled out of line at registration he will get the same OOC testing as Frodeno, etc OOC.

Marijuana and alcohol are both banned IC but not OOC. Also treated differently than EPO etc, remember that AG cyclist from Colorado who was busted for Pot IC? She got 6 months...then reduced to 3 with some sort of counciling/program etc, as opposed to 2-4 years with the other stuff.

Remember the drunk russian high junper in Lausanne in 2008?...he got a stern warning from IAAF and won gold in London.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I highly doubt that any of these are tested for in AG athletes, along with a very long list of other marginal drugs.

Unfortunately I don't think WADA has a "Age Grouper Lite" version of the test. USACycling recently sanctioned the equivalent of an age grouper for marijuana, after having tested positive at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix.

It's not quite the same, because she was in the Pro-1-2 race, along with all the pros. But she's Cat 2 and races for a non-pro team. You'd think they'd only select pro-licensed racers out of that race. Unless they were testing under the "RaceClean" program which specifically tests amateurs. It's unclear to me if that was a RaceClean test or a full-up pro test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello monty and All,

What is the difference between HGH and Growth Hormone?

Was that a typo?

Is there any evidence that doctors (in most cases) prescribe "longevity' drugs when not indicated?

Why is athlete drug testing not transparent ..... is the secrecy necessary to preserve some advantage ............ and would not the procedures be revealed and authenticated when someone challenges a finding in the discovery phase of an appeal?

Sometimes it seems that athlete drug testing procedures are more related to media politics than medical science and criminal law.

monty wrote in part: "I highly doubt that any of these are tested for in AG athletes, along with a very long list of other marginal drugs. My guess is that they go for the big 4, T, HGH, EPO, and Growth Hormone. Just do those 4 and you will get your real cheaters. Saves a lot of money in the tests too, so they can do a lot more of them. These are your "longevity" drugs, the easy ones that most can get their doctors to prescribe, and in most cases when they really don't even need them![/quote]"

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Oct 21, 15 14:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next