Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yeah, another hydration setup question
Quote | Reply
I've been riding this season with 3 bottles - water in a Torpedo, calories on the seat tube, and a spare behind the seat to stash water as needed. I just read about someone going to the wind tunnel and dropping ~7 watts by ditching the seat tube bottle and holder. I also saw recently that two bottles behind the seat comes at zero cost.

So my question is obvious - any down side to dropping the seat tube and going with two behind the seat?
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah, another hydration setup question [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the down tube was generally better than the seat tube? Anyway, I think it comes down to your comfort. I run an aero bottle on the down tube, just b/c it's much easier access than fighting getting a bottle in to / out of a gorilla cage behind my seat.
Last edited by: mbwallis: Oct 6, 15 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah, another hydration setup question [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2011 Felt B14, no down tube mount.
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah, another hydration setup question [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
I thought the down tube was generally better than the seat tube? Anyway, I think it comes down to your comfort. I run an aero bottle on the down tube, just b/c it's much easier access than fighting getting a bottle in to / out of a gorilla cage behind my seat.

^^^^This.

Behind the seat is more aero, but if inconvenient placement means that you don't access the calorie bottle frequently enough your performance will suffer. There is also the risk of launching your calories mid-race. This is why a lot of pros use a frame mounted calorie bottle (many minimize the penalty by using an aero bottle, since they will only be taking water handups at aid stations.).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that behind the seat is subject to a lot of individual variation and can go from good to bad pretty easily depending on specifics of the bottle(s) placement. I would not just throw some bottles behind the seat and assume it's good. I think a Cervelo ad/ report talks about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah, another hydration setup question [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if you want to really throw some craziness into it... for me, 2 bottles actually tests faster than 1. But if you can't test, thats probably not a fair assumption to make.
I sit relatively far back on my saddle, and have my bottles so close that i frequently brush up against them. That keeps them well in my draft (and they are narrow enough to sit inside my hips)
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah, another hydration setup question [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand carrier are you using? Thx for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An xlab turbo wing.(carbon wing is too wide).
Quote Reply