Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions around BarryP scheduling
Quote | Reply
I'm just looking into this programming for fall/winter training. Trying to access my current fitness and goals for next year as this year has ended for me. This is my first season back in 9 years and am just getting back to consistent training (16 weeks at 10-12 hours). I need to continue working on my run and building my base heading into next season. I've spoken to a highly respected Coach, but almost feel I can self coach a little longer and see gains from consistent training and overall fitness. My swim/bike are typically top 20, but run is still coming along (coming off a calf injury - running last 9 weeks only). I've been looking over Barryp's plan and thinking this plan can take me from 20 to 40 mile/week conservatively over the next 3 months.

The way I'm looking at it..I'd run Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, off, Sun (long run). Where would I fit a long bike ride in? Easy bike, just long. Does anyone have their program built around a mid week long run? Tough to ride 2+ hours during the week for me. Not too sure if I want to run 6 days in a row and ride long on Sunday, or ride long on Saturday with my long run on Sunday.

How do I get around this?

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Re: Questions around BarryP scheduling [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically do my long ride on Saturday and long run on Monday. Sunday usually involves an easy ride to and from wherever I'm swimming.

I like having the buffer day between my long sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been following his plan for the last 2 months or so and I love it. Jumping up to 30mpw this week and hopefully will be at 40 by the end of the year. I'm staying off the bike, almost completely during this time so I can really focus on running so I can't help you in that area. But in terms of scheduling the week, I'll say this. You'll always be running 6 days in a row. Doesn't matter where the long run is or the rest day. It took me a few weeks to realize this. Those 6 days might be broken up into ''two'' of your training weeks, but the bottom line is, you're always running 6 days in a row. Schedule your easy days around your long day and you'll be fine. I'm personally going for Mon-Sat with Sun off. Long run will be Friday morning. This way I'll run the day after the long run but short and easy to keep the blood flowing and then rest on the 2nd day post long run. Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Questions around BarryP scheduling [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
This way I'll run the day after the long run but short and easy to keep the blood flowing and then rest on the 2nd day post long run. Hope this helps!.

Good advice IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the same schedule you're looking at with the long ride on Saturday. And it's usually not an easy bike, but rather a pretty aggressive group ride. I have no problems with it. Monday's are usually pretty rough at first, but I just go slow. I should add that I was like you, around 20 mpw, and used barryp to get up to 40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My BarryP schedule looks like this:

Monday: "1" run
Tuesday: "2" Run
Wednesday: "1" run
Thursday: "2" Run
Friday: rest
Saturday: "3" Run (or my "long run"
Sunday: "1" Run (and long bike).

Having my rest day before my long run has my legs feeling "fresher" than doing the long run after any other day's run. Most of my bike days coincide with my "1" runs, specifically Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. I don't really have a problem doing my long ride the day after my long run, but that is probably largely individual.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Questions around BarryP scheduling [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True about the 6 days in row. Didn't come to realize that, as I'm looking at a weekly basis.

Setting the long run up...could I do something like this before it get's to 10+ miler. Family man, so I like to get my workouts in early and avoid a long run/long ride on Sat/Sun.

Monday - 1
Tues - 2
Wed - 1
Thurs - 3
Friday - 1
Saturday - 2
Sun - off

I could do a long ride on Sunday or Saturday and use the 2 as a transition run if I wanted.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back when I was tri training, I followed Gordo's advice and did my long runs on Thursday and then the long bike ride on the weekend.

When I was into the last 6 weeks of my IM training (before the taper) I had a weird schedule where I'd hit a really long run about every 10-11 days.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply