Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 vs 11 Speed Cassette
Quote | Reply

I’m currently shopping for a new ride. Specifically a Cervélo P2. Based upon prices I’ve been seeing, there’s about a $200 differential between the 2014 and 2015 offerings. Best I can tell is the only difference between the two model years are the chain and cassette, with the 2014 having a 10 speed and the 2015 having an 11 speed cassette. Will I even be able to notice the difference between 10 and 11 speed cassettes? Am I missing anything else?

Quote Reply
Re: 10 vs 11 Speed Cassette [Andy007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the 11 speed since that is the new industry standard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shifters and the derailleurs are also different between 10 speed and 11 speed. Depending on the rest of the parts spec, the cransket and the brakes may or may not be a newer model on the 11-speed bike. You may or may not notice the extra gear, but I'd spend the extra $200 and get the 11-speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 speed is fine (I'm still running 10 sp) but 11 is the current standard. The biggest worry would be that wheel hubs would start to diverge making it a bit harder to find wheels but that does not seem too likely since the 10/11 speed hub is sure to stick around for a while. I ran 9 speed for years after 10 speed came out and eventually it did start to get a little harder to find parts but they were (are) still available to this day so that, while a concern is not a giant concern at this point.

On the other hand, I have ridden the ever increasing number of gears revolution for decades (I even had a couple real live 10 speeds a/k/a 5 x 2) and I have never ever regretted progress giving me that extra cog. Even now, adding one more cog and going to 11 would be useful to me as there is a little tiny hole on certain cassettes on certain rides . . . ..

Personally, I would not break the bank to get 11 speed but, for $200, and especially if you are someone who keeps your bikes for several years, I thing going for the 11 speed, all other things being equal between the bikes, would be the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the 11 only because replacement parts for a 10 speed will become harder to find since it is no longer the standard.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 vs 11 Speed Cassette [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
(I even had a couple real live 10 speeds a/k/a 5 x 2)

Yes, I remember those days. And with downtube friction shifters too.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For $200 difference go for the extra $200. New components at the new standard. If it were $500 then maybe think about the older model (the difference in riding will be not very much if any).

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 10 vs 11 Speed Cassette [Stephent81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the 11 only because replacement parts for a 10 speed will become harder to find since it is no longer the standard.

Nonsense. 10spd will be available and cheap for 5 years or more. I'm still riding 9spd. Paying $200 more for 11spd 105 is ridiculous.

If you are worried about it just stock up on 10spd cassettes and chains.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy007 wrote:

I’m currently shopping for a new ride. Specifically a Cervélo P2. Based upon prices I’ve been seeing, there’s about a $200 differential between the 2014 and 2015 offerings. Best I can tell is the only difference between the two model years are the chain and cassette, with the 2014 having a 10 speed and the 2015 having an 11 speed cassette. Will I even be able to notice the difference between 10 and 11 speed cassettes? Am I missing anything else?

You want 11 cogs. That'll give you one more in the middle (I like one tooth jumps through the 19 cog) or one more on the end. Although you might not need lower gears, they give you the option of riding in steeper terrain at an endurance pace.
Last edited by: Drew Eckhardt: Oct 6, 15 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: 10 vs 11 Speed Cassette [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Nonsense. 10spd will be available and cheap for 5 years or more. I'm still riding 9spd. Paying $200 more for 11spd 105 is ridiculous.

Nonsense!

I have a Volkswagen Bug that has a 3-speed transmission and I drive it in LA freeways.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: 10 vs 11 Speed Cassette [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Quote:
$300. for a new pair of cycling panties (aka bib shorts) is ridiculous!)
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 10 vs 11 Speed Cassette [ifp123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i seem to cross chain on my 10 speed road bike more often that not -

11 speed - not often at all

why dont you try both bikes out.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 vs 11 Speed Cassette [ifp123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$300. for a new pair of cycling panties (aka bib shorts) is ridiculous!

In this context it certainly is.

Interesting example of how marketing works. As soon as 11spd came out, everyone on ST had to have it. The effect of that extra gear on anything real is about the same as changing the color of your bar tape, but it doesn't matter. "It's the new standard".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinda depends on your terrain... I went to 10 when it came out on my road bike cuz it saw a lot of hill duty, but my TT/Tri bike is still 9 and on the vast majority of TT/Tri courses I've ever done I barely use half of those. I'm already at 1-tooth spacing in the middle of the cassette on a flat course, so adding another cog or two is not much different functionally than just a dummy spacer on the end. Back to the road bike in the hills, an 11th cog would make for either a lower granny and/or slightly smaller jumps on the last few at the low end, which *might* be worth $200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 11 speed will stay current longer, so is probably worth getting instead of the 10sp.

I've stuck with 10sp for all my bikes to date (except single speeds and cruiser bike :-) so I can swap wheels around as I need, but will probably move to 11 speed when I get a disc equipped Cervelo road bike.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply