Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan.
Quote | Reply
Can the ST community recommend a good source to go to for triathlon training plans? I'm a school teacher so hiring a coach is not in the budget at this point unfortunately, I've already looked. Performing a google search of "Ironman training plans" reveals a lot of information and I just don't know what is reliable, evidenced based, scientific training information and what is b.s.. I've looked at Sansego andMatt Fitzgerald so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlete Magazine's "Essential week by week training guide" by Matt Fitzgerald

Several different plans for all distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be Ironfit, by DOn FInk. It's a book, used and approved by many. 10 bucks on Amazon. Has 3 plans in it for 3 different levels.

Quote | Reply
Fitness background?

*And goals?*
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Oct 5, 15 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb at Tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok yeah, I guess that is important. I've been a life long athlete mostly in team sports. I got into triathlon 3 years ago and have finished multiple sprints, olympics and 4 half ironmans. My PR is a 5:05 70.3 at Timberman this past August. I'm not overweight and maintain good fitness/body comp year round. I just registered for my first full IM, Chattanooga for next September. I like to keep training simple, I don't have a power meter, but do have the time to put in to train hard. My goal is to go under 12 hours.
Last edited by: crujones#33: Oct 6, 15 4:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a collection of plans and can PM you one if you like. I keep it very simple and still get decent results after many, many years. Check out this article and let me know if you want more.

Good luck!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.trifuel.com/...on/ironman-workouts/

I used this back in 08 and 09. While things have evolved over the years there is still a ton of good advice here. And it's FREE.
If nothing else, it still provides a great template which can (and should) be modified to fit your fitness, goals ant time constraints.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 5:05 at Timberman this year is a real good time with the hills there and that heat we all had. If you are shooting for a sub 12 at your first Ironman I would say your are on track so far. Are you 100% on training with a plan rather than a coach?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's nice of you to say. Unfortunately I am going to have to go the route of a training plan instead of a coach. I would much rather have a coach but I'm high school teacher and hiring a coach is just not in the budget.

tribuck wrote:
A 5:05 at Timberman this year is a real good time with the hills there and that heat we all had. If you are shooting for a sub 12 at your first Ironman I would say your are on track so far. Are you 100% on training with a plan rather than a coach?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Be Ironfit, by DOn FInk. It's a book, used and approved by many. 10 bucks on Amazon. Has 3 plans in it for 3 different levels.

Agreed - have it used to train on all 3 plans, it works!
Last edited by: Hammer50: Oct 6, 15 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A really great book - and great value insofar as it gives so many plans for different distances and levels of experience - is Gale Bernhart's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes. Highly recommended. She has a base "13 weeks to a 13-hour Ironman" plan (based on regular load of 13-15 hours per week training time) and then scales it up with more t raining hours for those aiming faster - very good idea for a first-time racer to take a look, even if you are already planning more volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beginner triathlete as a beginner IM -plan thats easy to follow and free. Can modify it with some different workouts to challenge yourself. But it meets your requirements free and well free
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [miamimikemd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get some decent ones on TrainingPeaks too. I'm using a $49 70.3 plan - for 28 weeks of coaching (including email access to the coach) I figured that was a worthy compromise between a coach and a freebie plan.

This is the one I use: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...an?DCI=22&DSC=40

If you click on the guys name it takes you to the other plans... i'm sure something in there for a full distance would be suitable.

http://www.tritriagain.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A free one: http://www.trifuel.com/...on/ironman-workouts/ for your consideration. I followed part of it for a while when in between coaches and found it pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
Thanks, that's nice of you to say. Unfortunately I am going to have to go the route of a training plan instead of a coach. I would much rather have a coach but I'm high school teacher and hiring a coach is just not in the budget.

tribuck wrote:

Im not a fan of the 13 for 13, and I think it would limit your potential based on your 70.3 time.

The one I used that worked best was the 8week build ("an ironman campaign")(?) that slowman published in installments years ago. basic, strict, and comprehensive. The benchmark workouts there were a big help to me.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.enduranceNation.us.

Hands down the best bang for your buck.

I tried Ironfit, it didn't jive with me, but Rich and Patrick are *the* guys to check out. Training plan or subscription options. Both are great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like you my 70.3 PR was 5hrs, and did my first IM, Chattanooga few weeks ago. Did it 11:53hrs, so you are on the right track.

I did my own modified plan, pieces from BarryP, EN, Fink and scheduled with training peaks. TP was great for scheduling and watch fatigue.

M: easy run, swim
T Bike, shorter run after
W Run, swim
Th Bike, run after
F Am swim, bike after
S Long run
S Long bike, short run after

M and W are my Med runs I would peak with the Wed run being tempo or Farlek runs
T, Th, Sun are shorter runs
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, sample size of one.

My first Ironman was Canada in Penticton 2011. I used Gale Bernhardt's 26 week plan, set my expectations pretty low and had a result I was happy with on a relatively difficult day. In 2014 I raced the same course as Challenge Penticton (second Iron distance) using the Slowman 8 week campaign, extended to 12 weeks, starting from a reasonable level of fitness. My expectations were a little higher, I was able to stick to my race plan, thought I managed my nutrition better but on a day that should have raced faster I was actually 4 minutes slower (11:37 vs 11:33 M50-59).

Bernhardt 1, Slowman 0.

YMMV
Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [NavEEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NavEEd wrote:
www.enduranceNation.us.

I tried Ironfit, it didn't jive with me, but Rich and Patrick are *the* guys to check out. Training plan or subscription options. Both are great!

+1 for these guys. They rock, and their system works very well.

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the trifuel plan... I used it for my first ironman. I had never done a half mary, sprint, or even owned a bike when I signed up... it was easy to follow and adjust and I finished with a sub 13 in Texas in 2013.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go for a reliable 140.6 training plan. [rumpole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rumpole wrote:
NavEEd wrote:
www.enduranceNation.us.

+1 for these guys. They rock, and their system works very well.
I went the other way and started with EN to switch to Ironfit later. Did EN plan (was OK), EN member (not OK), then PR'd twice with Ironfit the two times I used it. Different people have different needs.