Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eating for your blood type book
Quote | Reply
Anyone read this? Any merits to it? Heard a couple of people talking about it this morning and was interested by it.....so much so I realized I have no idea what my blood type is!
Quote Reply
Re: Eating for your blood type book [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No conclusive studies to back this theory up. With that said, I'm O positive (I think) and I've tried going veggie on/off for over four years. I've ended up sick/weak every time, despite supplementing my food sources from a wide spectrum. I don't know if there is any truth to it all, but I just feel stronger/better when I eat meat. Hell, I even eat red meat (ie. liver) once in a while and feel great.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Eating for your blood type book [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same anecdotal experience here. Also O+, and I feel stronger, better when I eat meat a couple times per week. If it's been awhile without, I can tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pseudoscience bullshit.
Quote Reply
Re: Eating for your blood type book [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Pseudoscience bullshit.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The book is bullshit. anything to sell something and make something that's really simple into something complicated.

That said, it's getting chilly up here. Fall is coming, so we threw a pork loin in the slowcooker yesterday and had an awesome pulled pork dinner. Mmmm...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm O-. Do you have the book? What does it say?
Quote Reply
Re: Eating for your blood type book [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm A+. I'm positive it includes BBQ (pork) and beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a minute? There's a book that advocates a diet based on your blood-type?!

I don't even know where to start with how many things are wrong with that theory! I guess first and foremost that your "blood-type" is just a statement of two specific immunogenic antigens that are present on the surface of your blood cells, out of literally millions within your body. Why base your diet on those two in particular? Do they even try to propose a basis for it?

Other than a very tenuous possible link between certain blood types and broad ethnic groups (and their tolerance for certain food groups) I can't see any possible grounding for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
total bs. I've seen it, the book would want me to be vegetarian and there's just no way. No way I want to do that, nor do I think it would be better for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been looked into: http://journals.plos.org/...journal.pone.0084749

"Results

Adherence to the Type-A diet was associated with lower BMI, waist circumference, blood pressure, serum cholesterol, triglycerides, insulin, HOMA-IR and HOMA-Beta (P<0.05). Adherence to the Type-AB diet was also associated with lower levels of these biomarkers (P<0.05), except for BMI and waist circumference. Adherence to the Type-O diet was associated with lower triglycerides (P<0.0001). Matching the ‘Blood-Type’ diets with the corresponding blood group did not change the effect size of any of these associations. No significant association was found for the Type-B diet.

Conclusions

Adherence to certain ‘Blood-Type’ diets is associated with favorable effects on some cardiometabolic risk factors, but these associations were independent of an individual's ABO genotype, so the findings do not support the ‘Blood-Type’ diet hypothesis."
Quote Reply
Re: Eating for your blood type book [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why base your diet on those two in particular? Do they even try to propose a basis for it? //

I read the book a long, long time ago. What the author tries to connect is the times in history where the other blood types evolved from O, and what was going on in history at the time. I don't recall exactly, but for instance, 10,000 years ago when we began to form into larger groups, then cities, our immune systems were challenged, and another blood type emerged. He would then try and tie that to the increased farming, and assign some of those foods to that new blood type. So it was all this type of speculation he would weave into what foods went with what blood groups.

I did find all the history of how and when blood types evolved, but of course never checked if the were true or not. I totally discounted the whole diet thing, as I know for a fact that this is not what happens. Evolution and what a group is forced to eat, now that is what would play well on what people are better off to live on. And it does not take long for that evolution to occur either. We have in a very short time in the last 10k years that have shown that certain peoples can live on just about anything eatable, and if done long enough, they become toxic on other normal foods. Switch the diets of a Taramaharu indian with an Inuit, and they both probably get sick and die. Both descended from the same land briggers who came across like 12k years ago, but then settled in completely opposite climates and food sources. One a diet of almost all corn, the other fat and protein. And I remember Dan telling me of a tribe about 5 to 600 years ago that ate something that would be instant death to any of us today if we were to eat it.

I recall one of the other chapters also touched on immunity too according to blood type, that might of had a better line of thought than diet. Figuring when peoples were hoarded together in cities and exposed to a lot more bugs, and having an according change in blood type at the time, that would at least make some sense on the surface, not sure scientifically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's next, racing attributes of astrological signs?

- Aquarius: If I run without socks I lose 12 grams, save 15 watts and can donate them to 3rd world countries.
- Pisces: If I ramp up my training to 30 hours a week, I will KQ, or maybe I'll take up sky diving.
- Aries: I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do that, I ain't gonna do shit.
- Taurus: Missed the cut-off 2 hours ago, but I ain't stopping.
- Gemini: Might not make World's but I bet I meet some cute chicks out there.
- Cancer: I've saved every race t-shirt and made them into a quilt.
- Leo: You only beat me because I let you.
- Virgo: My Transition area looks like Martha Stewart was involved.
- Libra: You look dehydrated. I'll share my salt tabs and we can finish together.
- Scorpio: I slashed your tires in T1 and pissed in your water bottles.
- Sagittarius: After the race, I'm deep sea diving for dinner.
- Capricorn: I just know it will rain on race day, but I planned for it, as well as a heat wave.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply