Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training ? Big volume low intensity week value
Quote | Reply
Waste of a valuable week or good idea ?

I am 6 weeks out from A race, an Olympic duathlon. I have been doing lower volume 6 to 8 hours with loads of intensity and I have been getting really good results. I have decided that after a relatively easy rest week that I am going to do a 12 to 14 hour week of all long-ish runs and rides but all in zone 2 with maybe a few strides / sprints thrown in. After this long week I go back to a few more weeks of lower volume high intensity until i taper. I have set both run and bike pr recently in race and feel like more to gain in near term but could use the extra stamina.

My thinking about the long zone 2 week is to put a nice cap on my base fitness, allow a bit of recovery from hard efforts and cement my aerobic endurance which will allow me to handle the harder efforts better and hopefully pr at my A race.

My brief history is 51 years old, solid several year base of 400 hours per year, no current injuries, my peak early in year was a 20 hour week and very consistent with no gaps in training thru the year this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Training ? Big volume low intensity week value [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I'd be asking myself:

How fast am I relative to my expectations? If fast and still improving, continue lower volume. If I'd hit a plateau, I'd try the higher volume hoping additional aerobic benefit would make me faster yet.

How is my endurance? If I felt like I was fast, but my endurance might not get me through the event at high speed, I go with the higher volume.

How is my weight? If I wanted to drop a few pounds, go high milage.

Any feelings of strains or injuries? If yes, go high milage, as the short/intense workouts are where I am much more likely to get injured.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds legit to me. I'm a big believer in lower intensity volume weeks every 4-6 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Training ? Big volume low intensity week value [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was thinking. After the high volume week, I am going to go back to the high intensity leading up to the taper. I feel like I have a good amount of room to improve on the run and a little on he bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also like the occasional high-volume week. I feel it can be a big problem if stringing too many together without backing off intensity, but what you describe sounds pretty nice and I do the same when I have the time.
Quote Reply