Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter Riding-Newbie
Quote | Reply
Hey ST'ers,

I have a 2010 Allez sport that I am going to rebuild next spring but thought I would maybe get into winter riding a bit. Anyone have any suggestions on good winter tires, brand, size, etc that they would suggest? Also, with the exception of the obvious clothing, any other gear I should invest in?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Riding-Newbie [Tryda33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on the conditions where you live. Will you be riding in snow? Rain? Or is it just colder? How cold?

I live in Colorado, and ride year round. That includes snow days. Generally a x32 knobby tire is fine in all but the rare icy day; good even packed snow. I doubt your bike will take a cyclocross tire. In which case you should likely just get a very puncture resistant and wide tire. Maybe something like a x28 Armadillo. Just check to figure out how wide you can go. My assumption here is that in the winter you may have some snow, but at least more rain and/or just wet roads. I like the wider tire, at lower pressure for that. Plus with increased puncture resistance I don't have to worry about riding through all the debris that gets pushed into the shoulder during the winter.

If you will be riding in temperatures < 45F, consider a jacket that has a hood that can go under your helmet. That is way warmer than separate hood and jacket, and it keeps more warmth in, and protects your neck and lower face.

Be sure and find gloves that still allow you to shift. For colder temperatures (<32F) mittens are much warmer. I have some loose fitting ones that still allow me to get my fingers on the brifter paddles and shift.

You might also want to switch to mountain bike peddle and shoe. The shoes are warmer, plus you can get winter mountain bike boots if needed. The debris clearing is nice, especially in the snow.

Oh, most important. Get fenders if it will be wet. You'll be shocked how much of the water that gets you wet is thrown up from the ground via the tires. With fenders, you can stay relatively dry even in light rain. Regardless, not having water thrown onto the back of your shorts helps keep your "contact points" from getting wet (or as wet), which really helps reduce chaffing.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have space for knobblies (or don't need them) then the conti 4seasons are excellent winter tyres IMO.
I wore a pair bare over the course of last winter and found them to be excellent, we had very little snow but lots of driving rain and generally poor road conditions.
I never once got a puncture with them and always felt confident on them when descending etc.

My recommendation would be to fit the widest pair that your frame will take (28mm?) and go have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Riding-Newbie [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn wrote:
It depends on the conditions where you live. Will you be riding in snow? Rain? Or is it just colder? How cold?

I live in Colorado, and ride year round. That includes snow days. Generally a x32 knobby tire is fine in all but the rare icy day; good even packed snow. I doubt your bike will take a cyclocross tire. In which case you should likely just get a very puncture resistant and wide tire. Maybe something like a x28 Armadillo. Just check to figure out how wide you can go. My assumption here is that in the winter you may have some snow, but at least more rain and/or just wet roads. I like the wider tire, at lower pressure for that. Plus with increased puncture resistance I don't have to worry about riding through all the debris that gets pushed into the shoulder during the winter.

If you will be riding in temperatures < 45F, consider a jacket that has a hood that can go under your helmet. That is way warmer than separate hood and jacket, and it keeps more warmth in, and protects your neck and lower face.

Be sure and find gloves that still allow you to shift. For colder temperatures (<32F) mittens are much warmer. I have some loose fitting ones that still allow me to get my fingers on the brifter paddles and shift.

You might also want to switch to mountain bike peddle and shoe. The shoes are warmer, plus you can get winter mountain bike boots if needed. The debris clearing is nice, especially in the snow.

Oh, most important. Get fenders if it will be wet. You'll be shocked how much of the water that gets you wet is thrown up from the ground via the tires. With fenders, you can stay relatively dry even in light rain. Regardless, not having water thrown onto the back of your shorts helps keep your "contact points" from getting wet (or as wet), which really helps reduce chaffing.

Thanks for the intel!

I would say I will probably venture into riding in the 20's and 30's here in Michigan so this is all great info, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tryda33 wrote:
Paul Dunn wrote:

Thanks for the intel!

I would say I will probably venture into riding in the 20's and 30's here in Michigan so this is all great info, thanks!

What tire pressure would you suggest in 30 degree days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your tire width. I ride 28s in winter, at 80psi. Seems to be about right. I weigh 180lbs.

Would also have a look at Schwalbe Marathon tires. I've had very good experience with them as winter or commuting tires, decent grip and as close to puncture proof as I've ever found.
Quote Reply