Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Top Half Advice
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to probe the ST Universe for help with a wetsuit issue I've been having. I'm currently running a Xterra Vendetta suit in a size small. Initially when I ordered it and tried it on I didn't know any better about fit. Now as I've progressed through the last few years I've begun to notice some issues. It seems as though the top portion (mid chest and upwards) on the suit is loose. This leads to bunching and wrinkles on my shoulders, armpits, and through the neck. I'm sure it's not the worst fit but I was hoping to reduce the bunching to help my hydrodynamics.

Now I'm no fish hitting most Sprint/Olympic courses at 1:45-1:55/100M but I'm starting to ask myself if there is lost speed due to tension in my top section (where all the moving parts are in the stroke) combined with the hydrodynamic penalty for having wrinkles and bunching. I was in the local shop on the weekend and the ROKA suit I was hoping to grab had a similar bunching to it so I held off. In contrast I tried out a local brand (Nineteen) and found less bunching except near the neck line. The suit also felt more tense with my arms fully extended above my head (Streamline) but I'm getting the feeling it's a faster suit for me.

Now that being said I'm curious if I'm missing something that could help me fit into the other suites. I do not have broad shoulders and due to year and years of office work my shoulders naturally rotate in and forwards. I was hoping to get a Roka or BlueSeventy suit but I'm beginning to think I may need to try on every suit possible to get an idea of what will and won't work. Anybody else had issues like this? I'm open to but not keen to try the De Soto 2 piece suits as I race short course and that may/will effect my T1 time which is roughly 0:55-1:10 for me currently.

Any advice or direction would be a great help!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Top Half Advice [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you share a picture? Hard to picture how significant bunching/wrinkles would occur with a properly fitting and adjusted suit.

The DeSoto strips off extremely quickly, I think it's a misconception that it's slower than a one-piece to get off. Emilio has a nice video posted of a ridiculously fast removal, and while you might not be able to match that, I bet you can get close. But I'm skeptical those suits will fit you any better, unless your bottom half is forcing you into far larger suits than your top half warrants, in which case they may be just the ticket. Good news is DeSoto, like Roka, is happy to have you swim in their suits and take them back without penalty if necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strip my Desoto faster than I ever stripped down Xterra 1 piece suit. Just FYI. It took me long time to switch to 2 piece. My bud has tried for 5 years to talk me into it. I finally did it and will never go back. I swam 2015 IMCDA in sleeveless T1 in 58min.
The top comes off in the first 5 steps I make out of the water and it is in my hand. While I continue to run to my bike, I remove the bottom piece off my shoulders and pull it down to waist and from that point on it is like any other suit. I also found that the bottom strips over my heels and ankles easier than either B70 or Xterra I had.
As I said, took me long time to convert but will race in T1 for as long as Emillio makes it. BTW, I am not sponsored nor I have any relationship with Desoto that requires me to say this.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Top Half Advice [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! Here are a few shots I've got from Pre-Race. In these you can see what I mean with regards to the top portion of the suite. The one where my hands are in the air is the first event I did in a wetsuit so the fitting may be less than stellar. The other I've been pretty meticulous to put it on and take my time (That was my A Race)

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I imagine others will weigh in on the pics, too. To me, it looks like you might have the arms pulled up a bit too much toward the shoulders (most people make the opposite mistake). But the shoulders of the suit also appear to be a little too wide for you. Thinner, more flexible neoprene, like on the Rokas, should address this to at least some extent. It's possible a DeSoto with a smaller top than bottom would also. DeSotos swim pretty differently than Rokas, but the nice thing is both allow returns after trial swims, so you could try both, and both companies have awesome customer service that will help you identify the right sizes to order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

You may be pleasantly surprised at how fast a T1 Wetsuit comes off. I can remove it faster than any one-piece I have ever owned. There is video on our website that shows me removing it in 13 seconds standing still. It is faster when moving and removing. But I want to personally invite you to try the product and form your own opinion. Please read our guarantee below and let me know if you have any other questions.

You will soon see why so many people on this forum are T1 Wetsuit owners.

T1 WETSUITS 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
De Soto Sport offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our wetsuits. We invite you to buy a T1 Wetsuit, swim in it, and see for yourself that it is the best swimming wetsuit in the world. If one of our wetsuits does not perform to your expectations within 15 days of the purchase date, return it for a replacement, a different size or model, or a complete refund. If you need more time, just let us know.

Any T1 Wetsuit you buy from one of our authorized retailers is guaranteed through the retailer. All exchanges and refunds must be done through the retailer. Their policy may be different so please ask before purchasing.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply