Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running 6 days a week [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just curious. I feel like I have a crappy run the day after my long bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Running 6 days a week [SlammedStance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you feel tired? is it crappy because the pace is slow? if so, my recommendation:

-leave the watch at home.
-start slow, and let the body warm up and build into it
-make it a fun game....head out for exemple: goal 40min. no watch... look at the clock in the house, and try to be back as close to 40min after. Take the focus away from pace...speed, and just get it done. After a few more weeks...you will start feeling better and better as fitness increase

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think crappy because it was so hot this summer that the 4 hour bike wasted me for a couple days. I could run 2 hours the day before the 4 hour bike and all is fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But yes I will try that. I know I'm also mentally tired
Quote Reply
Re: Running 6 days a week [Matt1019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt1019 wrote:
So I have been on Barry P's 6 day a week, 1:2:3, running plan for 2 months and really like it. I'm going to put in a run focus this winter while continuing this plan and was wondering what is the best way to schedule 3 bikes and 2-3 swims around his 6 day a week schedule. How does this look?

Mon - a.m. recovery run …. p.m. swim
Tue - a.m. medium/quality run …. p.m. bike
Wed - a.m. recovery run …. p.m. swim
Thur - a.m. medium/quality run …. p.m. bike
Fri - Off
Sat - long bike with short brick run
Sun - long run

I know others have had great success with his running plan and was wondering how they structured their biking/swimming around the running?

I would take Monday off and just push your schedule up.

It looks fine. That short brick run off the bike you should push race pace -10seconds pace. Sunday if you are dead tired split that long run to an AM/PM run. Def have 1day off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
I achieves this by making them run 6-9 times a week over 6 days.
-I like to use double runs, very effective, allow plenty of recovery. Fit well in schedules/life
-i like to prescribe run focus over period of up to 20 weeks. That allow for significant gain in fitness
This is a beautiful thing. I always say doubles are worth more than the sum of their miles. I remember running similar total mileage over two winter/spring racing seasons, but doing doubles the first year and all singles the second year. Felt way sharper/faster the first year and was 15-30 seconds faster over 10K. YMMV but try it.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Last edited by: sylvan: Oct 5, 15 0:07
Quote Reply
Re: Running 6 days a week [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to say I hate you all for this post. I am NOT a "triathlete". I'm a guy that took this up because I was on the road to being a fat piece of shit after my hockey playing days ended.

I run 3x week, 5-6 miles a run. And...thought I was doing great. I'm guessing if my goal is "to not be a fat POS."...this would probably suffice. However, i'm interested at not sucking at this "event" either.

So...thanks to this thread (I hate you all), I will be adding in those Tu/Thur runs of 20min or so...

Ugh!
Quote Reply
Re: Running 6 days a week [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I know what you mean. At first it was a fun thing to do after work, get out for a run, bike, or swim. Now I want to get better and reading the posts I received on this thread it seems I may need to have a set of shoes and shorts with me at work to fit in 10 runs a week… I wonder if my Superintendent/Principal would approve? Any other teachers run at work?
Quote Reply
Re: Running 6 days a week [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that double runs typically yield about 10% more rTss than a similar duration single run

Mostly due to being able to include more speed whenbroken up
Quote Reply
Re: Running 6 days a week [Matt1019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recovery run is such a misnomer. just call it what it is, an easy ass run. If it hurts, go slower. Still hurts, go slower till it doesn't. Repeat a shit ton.

Looking to load up on time spent running? (ditch the concept of total miles) Run 10, 12, hell 15 minute miles till the consistency starts. Just be patient.

Note that you can also do this for a winter, then two, then three and even 6 before the big jump in improvement happens. It likely will happen sooner but the point is that you shouldn't judge yourself on a months long effort. Use the professionals as an example, it can take them 7 or 8 years before it all clicks, why would you judge yourself on a shorter time frame.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Running 6 days a week [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Journey of a 1,000 miles starts with 15 min runs. I went from a 3-4x week guy (about 10km per run)pealing at 40 if the week included a 20 miler, to one that runs pretty much every day at 8-10/run with peak weeks above 80. The turning point was adding 10min runs which soon became 15 which soon became 20. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Most people significantly undervalue running for just 10min.
Quote Reply

Prev Next