Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
He is/was a prolific poster on the Wattage Group

his primary qualifications appear to be that he's prolific at arguing with Coggan
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, not even close. I quit bothering with him a while ago and leave that up to others. I get mad when he fails to answer questions, then engages in patting himself on the back to not provide any sort of reasonable answer.

But thanks for reading my post, where I spell out that I'm not a bike fitter in plain English. Or on Wattage, where I note that I am not a coach by profession in any sense. I have coached riders, but its not a job or something I have ever proclaimed to be an expert on, however, I am probably an expert at asking questions that spark debate on cycling forums it would seem. Often I just want an answer and don't feel that what I'm provided is anything of the sort. With Coggan he does have a wealth of knowledge, some of which I find super useful. On the other hand he has a less than stellar academic track record and seems very much oriented towards bolstering what he has already written or published rather than contributing to his field on a level equal to others.

Easy to slam me for asking questions though as we can all then default to "he's not an expert" even though I do not want to be, claim to be, or pass myself off as.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [Kwalker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My winter giant cadex from either 1990s or 2004 on a retul fit says the STA is a 75. Is has a zero offset post if I have 10cm setback the same is set close to the rear but on my race forme bike 10cm setback the saddle is centered in the rails. Does that mean my race bike is slacker? Surely an old frame like a giant cadex won't be a 75 STA?
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump anyone happen to know?

Another question does a steep frame need the same setback measurement to get the same positions?
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Bump anyone happen to know?

Another question does a steep frame need the same setback measurement to get the same positions?

I don't know the answer for you particular bikes.

This is my technique (not a fitter or expert).

I have three bikes (TT, road, track) and try to set them up as similarly as possible w.r.t. saddle position and height. I use the same saddle on all three.

I use two measurements. I measure from the center of the crank spindle along the seat tube to where the seat tube would intersect the top of the saddle. That's classic saddle height. Though some people measure to the rail. Or the middle of the saddle. Whatever, just be consistent and be aware that you if you change saddles they can differ in rail-to-top distance.

Then I take a plumb bob and drop it off the tip of the saddle and measure the horizontal distance from the plumb-bob line to the center of the spindle. That's classic "saddle set back."

Just be aware that if you change one, the other can change slightly, so if you're adjusting, it can take a few iterations to really zero in on the exact replication of another bike.

From those two numbers you can calculate your effective STA given your actual saddle position. But you don't really need to calculate the angle unless you're just curious.

I can't quite replicate across all 3 bikes. My road and TT bikes I can get very close (Felt DA and Felt AR). My track bike is just too "relaxed" to get there even with the saddle slammed forward. So I live with it, for now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next