Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think a P2 would come with many spare parts, considering there isn't any proprietary components required for fit.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending on the model year, it might have come with di2 pieces to replace mechanical pieces. ie I had to go back to shop to get those for my p3
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, future proof cable management. One of these days I will upgrade the S3 to di2, that or stick with my 105.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why you should always get a plastic bag with the manual and extra parts when you buy your bike. One shop that sold me an incomplete Cervelo P2 (they had taken parts off it) went through the trouble of ordering me a Di2 cover for free. It was supposed to come with the bike, but they couldn't find one lying around. I've had a couple of shops in the past even swap stems for free when doing fits. That's just good customer service.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I bought a SC 9.9 in December. It didn't come with a parts kit either. I might meed to make a visit tomorrow.

Quote | Reply
Sell them back to you?
Look awesome & prepared when they have parts on hand when you come in dissatisfied with the fit a month later?

Probably both.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got some I can sell you ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll keep that in mind. We'll call it plan B.

Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
I've got some I can sell you ;)

Funny :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
AndresLD wrote:
Careful... let's not paint with a broad brush now. Just because a couple of shops do this in your neck of the woods, it doesn't make it an epidemic.

It's an epidemic.

Funny, my LBS gave me so many extra parts from my bars and frame, I don't even know what to do with it all. I keep 'em just in case.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes same here. SRAM sends a pack of 3 spokes to fix my wheel. I only get one, the one on the wheel. Spesh Shiv bar recall kit must have come with a full set of hardware for the new bars. I only got new bars with whatever hardware was needed to mount them. No extra hardware like longer/shorter spacers and bolts. I still have the original hardware for the old recalled bars which is now mostly useless. I was so happy (or relieved?) I finally got my bike back (took like 2 months) I forgot to ask. Speedplay pedals come with cleats. Twice I asked a shop to mount the pedals and they kept the cleats. I had to ask for them. This happens over and over and over again.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
AndresLD wrote:
Careful... let's not paint with a broad brush now. Just because a couple of shops do this in your neck of the woods, it doesn't make it an epidemic.

It's an epidemic.

Funny, my LBS gave me so many extra parts from my bars and frame, I don't even know what to do with it all. I keep 'em just in case.

We don't even have the room to keep 'em! Get that stuff outta here! haha
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

One way to avoid this happening is to not let the lbs build the bike up for you and do it yourself instead. Assuming the bike had to be ordered or is still in the box. This doesn't fix the problem but it at least avoids that awkward conversation with your lbs and you might learn a thing or two about your new bike.

That is against their dealer agreements. No shop (at least not a good one) should sell you a bike in a box.

Besides, that is what they tout their value to be - service.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
stevej wrote:

One way to avoid this happening is to not let the lbs build the bike up for you and do it yourself instead. Assuming the bike had to be ordered or is still in the box. This doesn't fix the problem but it at least avoids that awkward conversation with your lbs and you might learn a thing or two about your new bike.

That is against their dealer agreements. No shop (at least not a good one) should sell you a bike in a box.

Are you sure about that (dealer agreement)? I've never heard of such thing but I've also never worked at a bike shop. I've seen plenty of people order bikes through their LBS and build them up on their own. Mostly because those individuals want to build them up themselves and/or not pay the LBS to build it up for them.

I've gotten to the point where I won't let anyone touch my bikes anymore. I'd rather do it myself as I know it will get the attention of detail that I require.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike shops are a rip off period. 120% markup on everything in the store and charge you an arm and a leg for stuff you should be doing yourself anyway. Ebay and competitive online purchases only and learn how to wrench a little. I bet over the course of a year you could save enough to buy an entire other bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a prick dude! There are plenty of rip off online merchants too, just as there are plenty of great LBSs. I work in a LBS and went out of my way to source the Di2 battery charger that the customer should have clearly been given by the big online UK retailer he bought his bike from (clue - green and yellow logo). That isn't even an optional part on a bike with Di2.......
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is quite a lot wrong with you say. You should've posted in pink.

What will you do when there are no more bike shops? Are online specs so good that you'll never need to go and see what a bike looks like again?

Jim Manton's initial post aside... bike shops, for all their imperfections, do a lot. It's a bit of a lean business model right now, but LBSes do provide significant value to their customers. I certainly hope the bike industry adjusts to allow LBSes some space to breathe.

I don't personally enjoy wrenching my bike. I do enjoy going to the shop and having them do it. We talk shop while they work on my bike. It's really quite enjoyable.

Am I the only one?

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Power13 wrote:
stevej wrote:

Are you sure about that (dealer agreement)? I've never heard of such thing but I've also never worked at a bike shop. I've seen plenty of people order bikes through their LBS and build them up on their own. Mostly because those individuals want to build them up themselves and/or not pay the LBS to build it up for them.

I've gotten to the point where I won't let anyone touch my bikes anymore. I'd rather do it myself as I know it will get the attention of detail that I require.

No major brand will let their shops sell their bikes in a box. Besides the fact that this is the point of dealers (add service and value), it is a liability issue.

Every bike company that I worked for, and every brand I sold when I worked retail, require that the bikes be assembled by authorized dealers.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an expensive conversation. I do go to the shop every now and then when I have a really tough problem that I can't solve. I have a good relationship with the owner. That said, I try to do as much as I can on my own because of the expense. I was charged $150 this summer for a "pro build". Mind you I had already done everything but the internal cabling which is why I took it there. A day after picking it up, I raced the bike and my handlebar came loose mid race. Pro build my as*. For $150 I would think they would at least tighten the handlebars. I could go all day with anecdotes from the each of the multiple shops in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Bike Shops - Give People What They Pay For! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
A little rant here, so I apologize, but this is becoming epidemic and I'm sick of it.

Many modern tri bikes, especially those with proprietary front ends, come with multiple options to adjust the height and fore/aft position of the base bar, arm pads, and/or extensions. Most, if not all, come with extensive parts kits to allow for these adjustments which are part of the cost of the bikes; the consumer pays for them. They're essential to fit these bikes, yet all too often clients come in having not been provided with these parts from the shop where the purchase was made. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's almost a daily occurrence for us, and the consumer is quite surprised when we inform them we need specific parts for their bikes to fit, and that these parts should have been provided by their bike shop upon purchase.

A common response from the shops is, "We forgot to include that, we're sorry." Okay, but when it happens over and over again, you'd think they'd do something to correct that. What's worse though, is when those parts are held for ransom. The shop attempts to charge the consumer for parts that were supposed to be included with the original purchase of their bike. That gets me boiling, and I'm seriously ready to begin outing the repeat offenders, some of which are prominent shops here in SoCal. Seriously, just give the client what they paid for! It's frustrating.

Okay, I'm done.

A common issue.

Just for the record my bike was assembled by Inside Out Sports in Charlotte and I got all of my parts. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman Dan has had polls before here that (and discussions) where & why & what ST'rs would need to bring more business back to LBS vs online dealers. This may be part of the issue, TRUST. If a LBS does some shady things, especially in an area where they may be the only LBS, word spreads fast.

If you are a LBS, pulling any shenanigans, you aren't going to last. I would have no problem ordering online & never walking through your door again, no matter how many "Oh, we goofed up" apologies you render forth. The informed athlete has many options, but are supporting the LBS often because they want the business to succeed just because they are local. I myself, have paid extra for items for the retail, just to support several shops. The second I get shady work done or dishonest B.S. from the shop, I'm outta there & take the business elsewhere. Luckily, I'm in an area that has many, many, many options for anything bike related.

To head off this issue, how about you be present at the "unboxing" of the bike & take inventory? Make sure you have everything marked down & give specific instructions you want everything included. Coordinate a meeting time, where you can do the unboxing yourself. You're the paying customer, it is your stuff, your right. If they don't want to play ball, don't shop there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next