Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IT band issue continues [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eco what tri_pilot says do it after the workout. That is specifically what my PT told m to do
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [srider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I id ART as well, but that really is only a band aid and doesn't treat he underlying causes. 99% of the time it will come back if you don't do strength training.
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See a good sports chiropractor. Compensation for one issue often occurs on the opposite side of the body. I saw one chiropractor for continued itb pain for months, did massage, roller with no improvement. Next chiro, spent five minutes with him, he watched me run then stuck his thumb in a hamstring tear on the opposite leg. Graston and tape on that tear (tear was probably a year old), graston on the itb to break up adhesions and scar tissue. Problem solved. Adhesions can hurt like a bugger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering how you were getting on with your IT band issues. Do you feel as though you've made any progress in the last couple of weeks?

As I said in my previous posts, my symptoms are very similar to yours, I'm still taking it very easy with the bike and run (which gets more frustrating every week) but don't really feel as though the strength training exercises are getting me anywhere. I'm beginning to think complete rest might be the best remedy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of 2 weeks of biking and running. I have been doing the strengthening exercises. I feel a difference, but can still feel it walking around. No pain but just feels different than my good knee. I will try it next week and report back. I had my biggest swim week ever last week at 13k. This week too. Believe it or not kick sets seem to agrivate it a bit. Frustrating.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had my IT issues, I used a pull buoy so I wouldn't aggravate it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that pushing too hard in strength training exercises aggravates my knee pain too. Would I be right in thinking that this is analogous to running too far too soon and that my form is probably slipping, I'm recruiting the wrong muscles and possibly doing more harm than good?

I've dialled it back a bit, just focusing on 3x sets of 1 exercise per session, but like I said, it doesn't seem to helping a whole lot and if anything seems to aggravate it on occasions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard massage & stretching helped my IB issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course kick sets would aggrevate it. The issue with almost all IT band problems is a weak glute area (as Power13 said so well). Your kick comes from the hips. Again this isn't a knee problem.

It takes 3 plus weeks of any physio type workout to start to form new nerve pathways to get the body to start to build strength and muscle in an area. 2 weeks will start the process but it takes a lot of time to overcome muscle imbalance. Keep doing the exercises.

Most people do a little bit of work, find some relief and then stop doing the work. Shockingly the problem comes back after some time.

Keep doing the work at least 4-5 times a week. When the pain and discomfort do eventually go away, do the work at least 2 times a week. Basically forever. A proper glute workout doesn't need to take more than 15 minutes of your day.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Yes I get the muscle imbalance issue. I am doing the work and plan to continue the work well after it feels better. Or forever. I just do the glute workout as part of my core / "foundation" training.

Thanks for the input. It all helps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
Of course kick sets would aggrevate it. The issue with almost all IT band problems is a weak glute area (as Power13 said so well). Your kick comes from the hips. Again this isn't a knee problem.

It takes 3 plus weeks of any physio type workout to start to form new nerve pathways to get the body to start to build strength and muscle in an area. 2 weeks will start the process but it takes a lot of time to overcome muscle imbalance. Keep doing the exercises.

Most people do a little bit of work, find some relief and then stop doing the work. Shockingly the problem comes back after some time.

Keep doing the work at least 4-5 times a week. When the pain and discomfort do eventually go away, do the work at least 2 times a week. Basically forever. A proper glute workout doesn't need to take more than 15 minutes of your day.

All of this.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasted a lot of time and money rehabbing. It turned out it was my lower back that was tight. Once I started stretching that more consistently my IT band issues went away.
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [Walter Mitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what you are saying is that by doing some rehab you fixed the issue.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
So what you are saying is that by doing some rehab you fixed the issue.

I assume you were following up with my statement. If not, sorry.

I spent a lot of time and money rehabbing my knee. Turns out it was my back. With some proper back stretching, the knee issue went away.
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [Walter Mitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is rehabbing sort of. I am assuming what you hated was seeing a poor physiotherapist who was not giving you good advice. But stretching to help deal with the issue is rehabbing it.

That being said, stretching to relieve the pain is great, but in no way deals with why your back was so tight to begin with. Maybe yo are lucky and just slept on it funny, but if your back was tight enough to cause your knee to go out of whack there is something fundamental going on. Stretching may keep it at bay but it is by no means fixing the issue.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good write up on ITBS: http://www.runningwritings.com/...nical-solutions.html

My advice, F your foam roller.

Run some fast strides with good form and do the general strength stuff outlined. If you can't run easy then don't. Do some fast running with lots of rest to practice good form. Build slowly.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted on your original thread as I was having similar problems. My ITB issues have completely cleared up.

1. It was caused by structural instability and glutes not firing correctly. There are exercises you can do immediately pre-run to activate the glutes. This will make a massive difference.
2. Some of the other guys have recommended some great exercises such as squats. It is important you observe the way your knee tracks during this exercise - and make sure it doesn't cave in to the inside. This is due to glute weakness and is the root cause of your pain as the ITB and it's connective points are being overly stressed. Do your squats with a theraband round your news and actively try and drive your knees apart, working against the resistance of the band, as you move down through the squat
3. Monster walk, bridges etc etc - all of these are designed to strengthen your glutes, which are weak
4. I don't use the foam roller anywhere near as much as I had been doing. I use it some, but do more targeted 'tension release' with a yoga tune up ball or similar. This works much better for me
5. I picked up Kelly Starretts 'Ready to Run'. This echoed many things my physio had said to me (and more). I am using this book know as the basis of my run strength/conditioning program and it feels great. I think it's well worth a read.
6. Wedges under my cleats have helped I think as they prevent my knees collapsing inwards on the bike, which happens when fatigues and when putting a lot of power out

Stick at it!
Quote Reply
Re: IT band issue continues [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again and to everyone. Some great stuff in this thread. I have been staying consistent with the strengthening routine and will give running a try soon!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried running last night. Like clockwork at ONE mile in boom. Done. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement!

So back to history. I first felt this about July 20th, but ran through it no problem. I backed off early August running to about once / week and was mostly able to run through it. By mid month I was giving up running. I rode 1100 miles in August with basically zero pain and swim a few times a week with no pain.

No riding in two weeks, but have been swimming 4-5 times / week. I'm almost ready to quit swimming as well. The need to kick probably isn't helping.

I am absolutely doing the strengthening exercises like below. Every other day. I swear I feel a difference, but I guess not enough yet :(

I have never been injury prone as a pure runner. Apparently cross training promotes injury......lol.

http://strengthrunning.com/...video-demonstration/

Quote Reply

Prev Next