Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My season is over [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear of your injuries. I too am just recovering from a biking accident to end my season. I had put in a lot of time and miles preparing for a couple upcoming centuries. I had just got started riding the first century (Big Dam Bridge 100) when only 7.5 miles into it some dummy tried squeezing thru a very narrow space and took out my front wheel. I hit the ground really hard on my left hip. Fortunately I had very minimal road rash but really painful hip. A few hours after getting home I couldn't put any weight on my left leg. I had to get around on a walker for 3 days then I was able to hobble around some. It's been 13 days now of hobbling around although I'm getting a little bit better each day. With my wife continued suggesting I go to the doctor just to verify any potential fractures I finally went this morning, had it x-rayed and no fractures. Dr. says it is a really bad bursa bruise. I didn't realize but there actually 4 bursas in the hip. As I said I am getting around a little better each day but it's slow going. Doc says it'll take some time to heal, just don't try to much to soon. Probably up to 6 to 8 weeks. That really sucks as right now is really good riding weather before winter comes and I'm confined to the gym and the trainer. Anyway, I'm just really glad and fortunate it's not worse than that. Could have been a lot worse. Like the old saying, sometimes you the windshield, sometimes you the bug. Gives us something to shoot for next year. Here's to you speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [ezliven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back on the bike and doing elliptical. I can start easy running next week. No pain unless I try to lift my harm laterally forward and it starts hurting at parallel. I'll be able to race in December, but I'm bummed about AZ 70.3. I would have bought the insurance for it, but it isn't reasonable with them. I do with other races.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [ezliven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't say my season is over, because it really didn't begin. I had been battling depression lately, which had killed my training. I was in a bad bike crash this past weekend, which thankfully just left me with 100 stitches, a broken nose, and lots of road rash. I went out for a 2 mile walk yesterday to pick up more bandages. I see the doctor tomorrow, and hope to get clearance to ride stationary bike. Don't know about running and riding outdoors. I'm less worried about riding outdoors for a few weeks, since I want my nose to heal. Don't know if I have any other soft tissue damage from the crash, but nothing hurts that bad now. It feels like I had a mild sprain in my wrist, but the pain is nearly gone. I'm tempted to build up a pair of cheap tubular wheels for cross while I'm out of racing. The only good things about southern California is that we have year round racing (and riding). I know the feeling though off getting injured in the Midwest and getting frustrated that winter is around the corner. Sometimes, a crash can be a blessing in disguise. And speaking of disguises, I need to go as Frankenstein for Halloween this year given how my face looks...:)

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had cancer surgery, chemo and radiation from Jan till April this year. I wasn't able to start back doing anything till July. I'm riding about 3 times a week (that was the easiest to start back). Swimming a little and have started running a couple of miles every other day. I signed up for Ironman Chattanooga next year. I'm just taking it slow trying to build my body back slowly. Hope to add some yoga and strength exercises thru the winter. Hope to back to full training mode by Jan. Six weeks isn't going to be bad to come back from. Just take it slow and be consistent you will be back before you know it. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 years of hockey, 20 at a high level caught up with me while training for the Dublin HIM. Tore my rotator cuff right off the bone, had to get surgery and for 4 months wasn't allowed to do anything. Just getting back on things now (4 months from surgery ended on Oct.1). Been a VERY tough, and slow road back. Doc has not cleared me to get back on the bike yet, and running has been allowed. The shoulder is coming along fine, but do to lack of range of motion (that I was told wouldn't come back, and at best would BARELY get some of it back) my right arm now doesn't drop into the aero bar position (i tried on the trainer).

Signing up for NOLA HIM here in a few. Not sure if I'll be back as the Doc said it would be a year EASILY before i'd be back to normal activities and 18 months before I'd be "back to normal use/strength" with it. I'll be at about 10.5 months when the NOLA HIM takes place.

Gives me another goal, but must remembe to be smart and not get too ahead of myself. I'd FUCKING HATE to mess it up and have a set back, or surgery again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A week and a half ago, I crashed my mt bike and sprained my back and shoulder (the bike is fine--my body shielded it from the rocks). I am going stir crazy because I can't exercise. I was thinking about trying a recumbent stationary bike at the gym, but I might also try the suggestion of pool walking/running. It will be me and the old folks, doing laps like it was a track instead of a pool.

Of course, after reading through this entire thread, I feel like a wimp for complaining.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Oct 8, 15 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I'm 215 and 15% bodyfat. hence why I likely had a lot of speed and momentum, and why Im probably not worse off. but im hoping this time off will result in loss of this muscle I haven't needed since I was a power lifter and struggled to shed. maybe even some of the bodyfat that comes with it.

Could have been worse, you could have trained and focused on Kona all year and the week before you came down with the flu. At 215 and 15% body fat you couldn't have been that competitive anyway.

Buy a game system, and start crushin beers.....
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, no road bike/trainer setup you could use with one arm? I'm currently recovering from a broken elbow but was still able to do some easy riding on the trainer just using the one arm to hold up. Not fun but kept me from going crazy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn those two-wheeled contraptions!
In the scheme of all the horror stories here my fracture pinky rates pretty low. Took a tumble on me bike 6 weeks ago and fractured the pinky. Bone healed nicely, BUT it shifted 2.2mm so I'm going in for surgery tomorrow morning. No swimming until Xmas (there goes a Masters meet) but will be able to run and try the wind trainer. Somehow we all find a way...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CB3 wrote:
Out of curiosity, no road bike/trainer setup you could use with one arm? I'm currently recovering from a broken elbow but was still able to do some easy riding on the trainer just using the one arm to hold up. Not fun but kept me from going crazy
At the time, I could only use the recumbent bike and even that was hit or miss. I'm surprised at how "attached" your body is to your shoulder in everything you do.

As for now, I can ride on the trainer...but my elbow can't come in enough to fit in the aero position. Been doing some serious stretching over the past month to try and remedy the loss in range of motion.
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
TheForge wrote:
I'm 215 and 15% bodyfat. hence why I likely had a lot of speed and momentum, and why Im probably not worse off. but im hoping this time off will result in loss of this muscle I haven't needed since I was a power lifter and struggled to shed. maybe even some of the bodyfat that comes with it.

Could have been worse, you could have trained and focused on Kona all year and the week before you came down with the flu. At 215 and 15% body fat you couldn't have been that competitive anyway.

Buy a game system, and start crushin beers.....

Seriously, what was the purpose of this post.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah i can't imagine getting into the aero position... Good luck with your healing!
Quote Reply

Prev Next