Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [ndtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ndtriathlete wrote:
Anyone have the Garmin Edge 25?

https://buy.garmin.com/...e-25/prod508489.html

Only a good option if you don't require ANT (power meter data, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going with the 520. Seems to have all the options I need/want. 8X0 sounds great, and who doesn't like to 1-up your friends witha better model number, but I just want it to track my work, and have the proper mounting options.

Now, to find a place that has it in stock and *on sale*!

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck finding a sale!!
Quote Reply
Re: new bike computer: what to get? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know. Comical relief has been a talent of mine, ever since I said I was going to start racing triathlons! (according to my wife)

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between my wife and I, we have two 810s, a 510, and a 500. I've never had firmware issues with Garmin (fingers crossed). The new Strava feature is kind of cool. I would look at what you want/need. We have powermeters, so definitely need ANT+ capability. The map feature with the 810 proved to be ideal, when we did a road trip to ID last month (aka, programmed in route and didn't to worry about checking iPhone). Don't forget the differences with the 520 vs 510 (eg, touchscreen). I know Garmin gets a bad rap at times with software issues, but I would rather have a $200 Garmin on my handlebars than a $700 iPhone. BTW, I would recommend getting a in-front mount for the Garmins. It's OK to mount to the stem, but much easier to see in front of your handlebars.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four days use with the 520.

Happy - It lacks nothing I want.

Strava segments are great. I didn't know how it worked until yesterday. You have to select Favorited segments in your Strava profile (click the star beside the segment name). Synchronize the 520 with your phone/pc. Then go for a ride. Everything else happens automatically.

Screen is great.
Menus are pretty well thought out.
Battery life is not as good as my old 500 though... but the screen has a cost I suppose.

The unit has crashed once so far. I was playing about with all the config options and it froze... This was not unexpected for a garmin unit. I had a similar experience with the Fenix 3 in the earlier software versions.
Nothing I'm going to worry about - just have to make sure I don't play with it too much while training. That'll be easy now since I'm in the MTB part of my season.

Bottom line: If I was offered a 100% refund would I take it? No.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next