Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer
Quote | Reply
Jens did a Q&A at my LBS and I asked how often a pro team does indoor cycling. To paraphrase, he said it's an individual's preference, but during the season probably 0%. However, during the winter/off season it's very important.

He went on to add that Team Sky does something like 2x20' (wu and cd) on the trainer before/after every race stage which adds up to 14 hours (in the TdF) of work in addition to the race, which is obviously a decent amount of volume.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Sep 2, 15 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Jens did a Q&A at my LBS and I asked how often a pro team does indoor cycling. To paraphrase, he said it's an individual's preference, but during the season probably 0%. However, during the winter/off season it's very important.

He went on to add that Team Sky does something like 2x20' (wu and cd) before every race stage which adds up to 14 hours (in the TdF) of work in addition to the race, which is obviously a decent amount of volume.

Airplanes and diesels have fewer problems if they are kept running.

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

He went on to add that Team Sky does something like 2x20' (wu and cd) before every race stage which adds up to 14 hours (in the TdF) of work in addition to the race, which is obviously a decent amount of volume.

That has to be 2x20 @ something like 65% right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

Damn forgot about that tonight. Was it at MR or TW? Cause he is doing another Q&A tomorrow night I believe.....hope.
Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a TT warm up explained by performance coach Shaun Stephens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VL5JCqQhQ I'd venture to guess the cooldown is much, much easier.

bcagle25 wrote:
Damn forgot about that tonight. Was it at MR or TW? Cause he is doing another Q&A tomorrow night I believe.....hope.

Trek West.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Sep 1, 15 21:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's with the nose plugs?
Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
What's with the nose plugs?

I believe it is some type of aromatic oil or decongestant to open the breathing passages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is part of racing. Despite what Major League may have portrayed, the engine/body doesn't like hard starts and it doesn't like abrupt stops after very-long sustained efforts. I would say at any high level athletes spend a great deal of time warming and warming down - it is just what it takes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
during the season probably 0%.

I'm not sure what the take away from this is for us everyday working athletes. Most of us ride the trainer out of necessity in order to get ride time before or after work. If we were in a similar situation (i.e. no regular job and lived in a cycling friendly European location) we'd probably ride the trainer about just as much as they do. :-)

Also, totally speaking out of my butt here but, I'm guessing that much of their in-season non-race riding is at much lower intensity than anything we'd do in-season. However, they make up for it with week or multi-week stage races when they are riding very hard at times. I'm guessing much of their hard bike training/development occurs during the off season.
Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
during the season probably 0%.

I'm not sure what the take away from this is for us everyday working athletes. Most of us ride the trainer out of necessity in order to get ride time before or after work. If we were in a similar situation (i.e. no regular job and lived in a cycling friendly European location) we'd probably ride the trainer about just as much as they do. :-)

Also, totally speaking out of my butt here but, I'm guessing that much of their in-season non-race riding is at much lower intensity than anything we'd do in-season. However, they make up for it with week or multi-week stage races when they are riding very hard at times. I'm guessing much of their hard bike training/development occurs during the off season.
A fair number of pros post to Strava and you'll see that they do plenty of hard work in between races during the season. Gesink isn't noodling around during those 25 hrs on the bike:

Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
That is part of racing. Despite what Major League may have portrayed, the engine/body doesn't like hard starts and it doesn't like abrupt stops after very-long sustained efforts. I would say at any high level athletes spend a great deal of time warming and warming down - it is just what it takes.

Still, there's not much actual evidence in favor of long warm ups and cool downs, is there? Is your observation specific to very long efforts?

One study I saw showed significantly faster performance in a 3K time trial after cyclists warmed up ahead of time. The study was actually looking at what type of warm up helped most, and it concluded that a steady pace below race pace worked better than harder efforts. Just as interesting to me, though, was that in any case the warm up only helped in the first K of the time trial -- the 2nd and 3rd K were the same with or without any warm up at all. Hm...
Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Timtek wrote:

That has to be 2x20 @ something like 65% right?

Warm up they might build up and past that but I'd guess that cool down probably a lot less than 65%

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Just asked Jens Voigt about biking on a stationary trainer [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this helps but Adam Topham is a superlative UK time trialist, a multiple sequential UK BAR winner 2012, 2013, 2014.

The British Best All-Rounder (BBAR) competition, organised by Cycling Time Trials, is an annual British cycle-racing competition. It ranks riders by their average speeds in individual time trials, over 50 and 100 miles (160 km) and 12 hours for men.

Adams overall average speed for the competition is between 27 and 28mph.

Adam, according to Adam, trains exclusively on an indoor trainer.

Sure works for him!
Quote Reply