Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)!
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone!

Many of you I am sure are wondering how far along the process many division 1 schools are in getting Women's Triathlon as an NCAA sport. Though I can't speak for all of the schools, I will speak for The University of Arizona. Currently the TriCats are in the process of persuading the Athletic Director to realize that this sport actually matters and would affect the school in positive way. We have all the paper work on the team side filled out and are working on getting the signatures needed. Our hope is that the process will be finalized by the 2016-2017 school year, however, it is possible is could take till 2017-2018.

There is a way you can help though! Currently the TriCats are working to raise money to send our girls squad to NCAA races (such as the championships in Clermont Florida). Without the grant it is nearly impossible. We all know that travel is expensive. I am asking out of the goodness of your heart if you could donate any sum of $ to our teams go fund me page it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time.

God bless.

Also look for the TriCats on the top of the Podium this year at the USAT Collegiate Nationals. Our girl and guy squads are stronger than ever and we are a very young team!

http://www.gofundme.com/aj2vpk8c
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [Dgpearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also looking for someone else to finance my hobby if anyone is interested.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
I am also looking for someone else to finance my hobby if anyone is interested.

It's a little different than that when we're talking fringe collegiate sports.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [Dgpearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The West Point Cadets put on a race to fund their season..

http://www.usma.edu/...int%20triathlon.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
The West Point Cadets put on a race to fund their season..

http://www.usma.edu/...int%20triathlon.aspx

That's only part of their funding. Alumni and a very healthy budget right from the school help too.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TriCats also put on a race to help fund their season, at least as far back as I can remember.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically have to work at a job to fund my hobbies, but maybe that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
I typically have to work at a job to fund my hobbies, but maybe that's just me.

This isn't about a hobby, it's about coming up with an NCAA program. Not only is it largely time-prohibitive for an NCAA athlete to work, but there are actually restrictions what student-athletes can do for work without jeopardizing their eligibility.
This isn't some age grouper asking for money to go to Kona to finish in 14 hours. If it bothers you that much, don't give anything.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The UofA has an athletic department with an athletic director who gets paid a lot of money to figure this stuff out. As a member of the p12, Zona has a p12 commissioner who got paid $3.5 million last year to work on the behalf of schools and student athletes. Zona's payout from the p12 was over $20 million.

Someone is barking up the wrong tree.

It doesn't bother me. I just would like for someone to fund my athletic endeavors too. I don't happen to see the label of NCAA student athlete as some kind of sacred designation.

Maybe someone would like to fund a family surf trip to Hawaii for me.

Just my opinions. If they bother you then you don't need to respond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigh......you just aren't getting it.

NCAA college athlete, which they are training like to try to get established is basically a job
Being a student is basically a job.
Some of the tricats also work a job.
Putting on a race it's basically like a job for some of them

How much the commissioner gets paid in of no relevance. But nice try.
The U of A's cut was allocated already in the athletic department. BTW they have a lot of scholarship sports/athletes at the UofA.

But again nice try.

Just my opinion. If you disagree with it don't bother to respond.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon at University of Arizona (TriCats)! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
sigh......you just aren't getting it.

NCAA college athlete, which they are training like to try to get established is basically a job
Being a student is basically a job.
Some of the tricats also work a job.
Putting on a race it's basically like a job for some of them

How much the commissioner gets paid in of no relevance. But nice try.
The U of A's cut was allocated already in the athletic department. BTW they have a lot of scholarship sports/athletes at the UofA.

But again nice try.

Just my opinion. If you disagree with it don't bother to respond.

If your school does not fund the sport you like then you need to take it up with your school, which has a lot of money. Or go to another school. Or, perhaps, it's conceivable that you can't afford to do what you want to do and therefore must make hard choices like everyone else. That's a crazy concept, I know.

If Zona wanted to make this a priority they would re-allocate a few bucks to triathlon from the MILLIONS they have and spend on other sports. This is the work of commissioners and athletic directors and their staff. They have the resources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get what you are trying to say. However, this thread is like the local high school basketball team doing a car wash so that they can have enough money to go to a tournament in another state. If I want to support them, I drive up and let them wash my car. If I don't support them, I just drive away. What I don't do is drive by and yell, "go ask the board of education" or "go out and get a job!" What you are doing is being that jerk that yells out the window, as your driving past these kids, to "ask you parents for the money!"

I think the tricats know all about the process of athletic department funding. They are not asking you for advice on how to get the P12 or Az's athletic department to assist them. They are asking you to drive up and get your car wash, if you want to support them or drive away if you don't. No need to yell stupid stuff out the window of your car.

Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:

If your school does not fund the sport you like then you need to take it up with your school, which has a lot of money.

Please tell me how succussful you have been using this tactic before? If you aren't a major sport (i.e. football/basketball/sometimes baseball) funding is shit. I have tried to pry dollars out of an AD/Club sports program by presenting the need and how the $$ would help ensure a long term success of the group. I got the same shitty cut the rest of the teams did even though some of their largest expenses was pizza at the next meeting. Asking for more money doesn't work.

The car wash analogy is perfect here. Give if you want. Move along if you don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea - so Jason is a d*ck

but this might help. When I was a senior in highschool, our surfing team qualified for nationals out in California - we were in Florida. This meant airline tickets for 8-10 guys, board bag fees ($100 per board each way), hotel stay for the week, food, and rental van to stuff our boards/bodies in.

We ended up getting local stores to sponsor us. We got a big surf shop to provide us a HUGE magnet to stick on the side of the van and of course we had to rock their decals, we got another large surf shop and part of that agreement was we had to wear their shirts in all our pictures (they gave us two free shirts). The school did not fund any of the money - so we got local stores to do it. Most were super stoked for us and extremely happy to be asked. They got publicity - some small no name school in Florida up against some big Cali schools (we got 2nd or 3rd I believe).

Give that a shot - meet with some owners. In triathlon you can get running stores, bike shops, local credit unions, etc. Anyone.
Quote Reply